Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2006, 12:23   #1

A different kind of wedding

We have been invited to a 'hand fasting' which I believe is a pagan wedding. Has anybody on here been to one? If so can you give me an idea of what to expect.
The celebrations apparently will last 48 hours but we wont be able to stay that long as my brother gets married in church on the saturday.
I must admit I am quite looking forward to both.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-06-2006, 23:15   #2
Accy Goddess

Re: A different kind of wedding

I haven't been to one but would love to. A circle is cast then the bride and groom stand before the alter and have their hands tied together with a red cord.This is called the hand fasting cord. Groom on the left bride on the right.
Next the bride and groom exchange vows. Then rings are exchanged.
The couple then go on what is called a quest round the elements. The people that evoked the elements give blessings.
After the blessings the couple jump over the broomstick a couple who are married or hand fasted are picked to hold the broom.
cakes and wine are blessed and shared by the couple and passed round the circle.
The God and Goddess are thanked and the elements are thanked and bid goodbye.
The circle is closed and the fun starts.
I hope this is of some help.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 23:38   #3
Senior Member+

Just like the olden days when you lived 'o'er brush'. They used to jump the broomstick. Another way of saying that you are living 'in sin'.

Interesting though and I'd like to know if it is has a legal side to it or just a celebration?

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 23:51   #4
Accy Goddess

No to make it legal they would have to go to the register office or perhaps get a celebrant to attend the hand fasting.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:46   #5
God Member

I too would be interested in seeing one, I've always been interested in pagan and wicca.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:28   #6
God Member

Sounds more like a gypo's - ooops, traveller's - wedding to me. Just make sure you keep your handbags and wallets safe & secure.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 23:23   #7
Accy Goddess

Followers of Wicca don't go round thieving unlike the gypo travellers. They believe in what goes around comes around.
Old 09-06-2006, 18:17   #8

Thanks Anne that's a great help, unlike Tealeafs comment! I am even more excited about it now. I too am interested in wicca and pagan ways and see the invite as a way of furthering not only mine but my 8 year olds education. After all we are never too young to learn.
Old 09-06-2006, 18:21   #9

Thank you for that ANNE it is very helpful unlike tealeafs comments! I am even more excited now. I too am interested in Wicca so see it as an excellent opportunity to learn something more about it. My 8 year old will also see two different kinds of wedding in 2 days which IMHO is no bad thing.
Old 09-06-2006, 23:05   #10
Accy Goddess

Your welcome Debbie. Glad I could help. I'm sure both you and the little one will have a great time at both.
It will be brilliant especially with this weather.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:20   #11
Member.

Never seen one myself, I would consider myself to be both fortunate and privileged to be invited to one. The old ways are often misinterpreted or hijacked by many to serve there own purposes, but those who dedicate themselves and live the life are often very decent and caring people. Enjoy it, it might not be what you’re anticipating, or you might be blown away by it either way if your mind is open when you go you’ll see more and you’ll take more away with you….Be good and have a good time.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 07:20   #12
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

My mum went to one a few years ago. It was in the middle of some field somewhere in Rossendale and she was gone for well over 24 hours.. She didn't say much about the ceremony but I take it from her weary state when she returned home that the celebration was a good one.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 23:58   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

sounds dead interesting to me! go and enjoy i'm all for differant.
Old 23-06-2006, 00:14   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNE
I haven't been to one but would love to. A circle is cast then the bride and groom stand before the alter and have their hands tied together with a red cord.This is called the hand fasting cord. Groom on the left bride on the right.
Next the bride and groom exchange vows. Then rings are exchanged.
The couple then go on what is called a quest round the elements. The people that evoked the elements give blessings.
After the blessings the couple jump over the broomstick a couple who are married or hand fasted are picked to hold the broom.
cakes and wine are blessed and shared by the couple and passed round the circle.
The God and Goddess are thanked and the elements are thanked and bid goodbye.
The circle is closed and the fun starts.
I hope this is of some help.
You mean, then the orgy starts.
but first the hand fasting.

Don't they call this dogging nowdays.

seriously though it sounds interesting, can I come with you.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 09:16   #15
Junior Member+

bbc three show a pagan wedding on their programme "wedding stories" which is frequently repeated so theres a good chance of it being shown again.
jinxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..