Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2006, 12:43   #1
Super Moderator

The Stanley Arms?

There's a pub called the Stanley Arms in Stanley Street mentioned on the official Stanley site; not the original one that the club formed in way back in the 19th century, but a new one - think it might be in the old Dyers and Finishers WMC premises. I quite fancy giving it a try on one of my trips up there, but someone has told me that it's a members only club. Does anyone know what the score is - pub or club?
Old 12-06-2006, 14:17   #2
Super Moderator

Re: The Stanley Arms?

Sorry, it's not called the the Stanley Arms - it's just called the Stanley. Still like to know whether it's a pub or a club, though.
Old 12-06-2006, 14:42   #3
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

Hi Wynonie. Just phoned Stanley for you. anyone can go in except if England is playing then you have to be a member. Honestly that is what they said.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 14:43   #4
Super Moderator

Thanks very much indeed for taking the time and trouble to do that, Mitzy. Will have a look in there soon.
Old 12-06-2006, 16:40   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

it is in the old dyers and finishers club wyn, the original pub was on the corner of stanley street and washington street,with slingers butchers on the lower corner,the pub was a duttons house if i remember correctly, i know the place now does have membership cards cos ive seen one,but i called in one sat evening before xmas - no problem getting in, was quite busy as well.
Old 12-06-2006, 18:13   #6
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info, Mr. C. Must drop in soon - the only pub in Accy I've never visited!
Old 13-06-2006, 10:20   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

when the stanley arms closed did they not use the building for the sea cadets or boy scouts or summat?
Old 13-06-2006, 10:37   #8
Super Moderator

The building was further up the street on the other side from The Stanley/Dyers & Finshers, wasn't it? I seem to recall it's on a corner and there's a bricked up door entrance. Thinking about it, surely this should be a prime candidate for a Blue Plaque or something similar?
Old 13-06-2006, 11:18   #9
Resting In Peace

The Stanley is supposed to be a members' club. The door is supposed to be locked and members have a fob which electronically opens the door but standars have slipped a little and the door is often left open so that anybody can go in. It is run by Phil Miller (Accy Clarets) who used ot run the Queens a few years ago.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2006, 11:22   #10
Resting In Peace

double posted
Old 13-06-2006, 11:35   #11
Super Moderator

Seems strange that it's mentioned on the official Stanley website in the "Where To Drink" section with the words "The Stanley on Stanley Street caters for away fans with butties etc laid on on match days." If they're away fans, they can't be members, so how do they get in??

Anyway, thanks for the info, Jeff. Next time I'm up, I'll have a mooch over there and see if they've left the door open!
Old 13-06-2006, 12:26   #12
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Seems strange that it's mentioned on the official Stanley website in the "Where To Drink" section with the words "The Stanley on Stanley Street caters for away fans with butties etc laid on on match days." If they're away fans, they can't be members, so how do they get in??
He charges £4.00 per year for membership but guests can get signed in, so in theory he could "sign in" anybody he wanted. If the door is locked just press the buzzer, there is a little screen behind the bar and if you don't look suspicious they will release the door and let you in.
Old 13-06-2006, 17:16   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF
He charges £4.00 per year for membership but guests can get signed in, so in theory he could "sign in" anybody he wanted. If the door is locked just press the buzzer, there is a little screen behind the bar and if you don't look suspicious they will release the door and let you in.
you must definatly be a member then eh jeff.
Old 13-06-2006, 21:17   #14
Super Moderator

Right, well hopefully I don't look too suspicious, so I'll give it a go. Cheers, Jeff.
Old 13-06-2006, 21:27   #15
Resident Waffler

Just took this photo tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pubs 003.jpg (64.4 KB, 25 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..