Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2006, 14:36   #1

Accy rubbish.

Is there any chance of getting all the rubbish in Accy' streets cleaned up on a regulat basis. Because some time ago I made the sweeping statement that Accy looked all lovely and clean from all the pics I had seen on this site, but Margeret Pilkington but me straight and let me know the truth and was sorry she had burst my bubble . What prompted me to ask is because today, Sunday, is National Clean up day in Australia when thousands of people go out and about in towns and cities and highways and pick up any rubbish they find. Not that there is much about but the bit there is is soon gone. They do it because of pride in their Towns etc and they don't care that it's some other clowns rubbish. So, any chance of anything happening like that in Accy?:engsmil:
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-03-2006, 14:45   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Accy rubbish.

Terry I mentioned the National Clean Up day that they have over there in one of the posts. Personally I think it is a good idea, but wouldn't it be better if we could get people to respect the environment as if it were there own home and not throw the rubbish in the first place?

I remember years ago when we first started travelling to Oz....there used to be adverts on TV...'Don't rubbish Australia'.......it is good to see that the message got through. My Sister-in-law is coming over here for a visit in May.......she is going to have a shock when she sees the state of things.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 14:59   #3

Yes Margeret you're right. It's now firmly ensconced into the Ozzy mentality. You just don't see anyone chucking rubbish on the street any more. It took alot of hard work over the last few decades or so but it worked. If anyone sees any on the ground (at least where I live) it's snaffled up straight away and into the rubbish bin.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 15:22   #4
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
Personally I think it is a good idea, but wouldn't it be better if we could get people to respect the environment as if it were there own home and not throw the rubbish in the first place?

Judging by the state of some people's homes they probably already do.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 17:16   #5
Beacon of light

Yes Willow....I suppose you are right. I think if you live a fairly tidy and ordered life you tend to assume that other people do the same.......I'm not a slave to tidiness, but I do like some sort of order.
Old 05-03-2006, 17:20   #6
Give, give, give member

We used to have government information films on television, infact we still do, mainly telling us about tax credits, they should start the litter lout campaign that used to be on in the seventies.

I'd still tell somebody off if I saw them dropping litter, especially when they do it near a waste paper bin. It drives me potty.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 20:18   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
thousands of people go out and about in towns and cities and highways and pick up any rubbish they find.
Call me a cynic but, I believe the majority of people in the area like to moan about how the Council should clean the place up but would rather sit on their fat backsides than do anything about it. Notice I said the majority. A small few actually do volunteer their time to good causes.
Old 05-03-2006, 20:22   #8
Beacon of light

Neil if there was a 'National Clean Up' day like they have in Oz then maybe the efforts would be co-ordinated.......and more people would get involved...especially in their own locality. It is a really big thing over in Oz...the school children get involved and community groups.....it is well publicised and well organised.......and if there was a regular clean up day then maybe.......just maybe people would think twice before throwing their litter down willy-nilly.
Old 05-03-2006, 20:22   #9
God Member

I don't think the Council can be blamed for the mess on the streets at all. It isn't the bin men or other Council workers who come out and drop litter there. Yes, they've made a pledge to clean up the mess but it's not them who put it there in the first place. If we could just get the message through to not drop litter or to ensure that al bin bags were tied thoroughly there wouldn't be a mess to tidy up.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 20:29   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

A quote from here
Quote:
Dropping rubbish is a criminal offence under section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. It is punishable through the courts or by a £50 on-the-spot fine issued by a council litter warden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
I don't think the Council can be blamed.
How many litter wardens do we have and how many people have been fined £50 each in Hyndburn. A litter warden could probably pay for his/her own wages in Accy centre alone.
Old 05-03-2006, 20:31   #11
Beacon of light

I know when we were at school (yes, it WAS in another century) we didn't get detention for punishment....we got litter picking duties. I think we were more conscious too, of not discarding litter just anywhere.....there used to be adverts on TV.....'Don't be a litter bug' and there was one with a gang of teenagers picking up litter and they were called the 'Litter Defence Volunteers'. Maybe we should start to educate children that it is not cool to just drop your litter anywhere......bring back the slogan 'Find a bin and put it in'
Old 05-03-2006, 21:08   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
A quote from here
How many litter wardens do we have and how many people have been fined £50 each in Hyndburn. A litter warden could probably pay for his/her own wages in Accy centre alone.
Actually agree with you there. Think a litter warden who imposed fines would pay for themselves.

Stand by my original statement that the Council can't be blamed for the mess in the first place

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 21:09   #13
God Member

There used to be a national spring clean week here in the uk, i know I've taken part, turned up on a saturday morning and walked the streets wombling. was great fun and i met some great people doing it. I never had the chance again , i was always working
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 21:19   #14
God Member

AND we have a litter warden, and they used the towns cctv, to help collect evidence, which i'm not so sure about. I think the cctv should be watching for worse crime than dropping litter. Not that i think it's rite or that people shouldn't be fined.
One issue with it that people did have was that they throw a lit ciggie down and put it out before going in a shop n they were getting 40 quid fines. BUT there is nowhere to put it out, or wasn't, there is now though, the fitted new bins with a stubber on the top.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody

Last edited by Madhatter; 13-03-2006 at 21:17.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 21:37   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Stand by my original statement that the Council can't be blamed for the mess in the first place
No they can't. They don't do enough to clean up. I can't find a site which states how quickly they are supposed to clear up litter. Still looking for it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..