Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2012, 08:54   #1
God Member

Accyweb's oldest member!

Just noticed that today is Morecambe Red's birthday and he/she is 107!!

Is this true? If so many congratulations - must be Accyweb's oldest member.

I did think it might be Retlaw but It seems I could be wrong!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2012, 09:05   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Accyweb's oldest member!

Ya retlaw must be as old as methuselah if not older
Old 23-06-2012, 09:15   #3
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Just noticed that today is Morecambe Red's birthday and he/she is 107!!

Is this true? If so many congratulations - must be Accyweb's oldest member.

I did think it might be Retlaw but It seems I could be wrong!
Dianne I think it's a bit of a red herring. Morecambe Red seems to go to a lot of football matches which I don't think a 107 yr old would manage. Join date was 2005 so the 1905 date could be either an error or a wind up. Having said that I'll be looking in the local paper for reports of a birthday bash!
Old 23-06-2012, 09:22   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Dianne I think it's a bit of a red herring. Morecambe Red seems to go to a lot of football matches which I don't think a 107 yr old would manage. Join date was 2005 so the 1905 date could be either an error or a wind up. Having said that I'll be looking in the local paper for reports of a birthday bash!
I did have a peek at his profile and saw the photo of the Stanley ground.

Might be their oldest and most long-standing supporter too!

Perhaps some of the other Stanley diehards might know him and be able to enlighten us...I'm thinking perhaps Cashy and Wynonie here.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 23-06-2012, 09:38   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Perhaps some of the other Stanley diehards might know him and be able to enlighten us...I'm thinking perhaps Cashy and Wynonie here.
Ya he could be eithers younger brother
Old 23-06-2012, 10:07   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Only a sprog yet, Tealeaf was 120 a couple of years back.
Old 23-06-2012, 10:22   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Only a sprog yet, Tealeaf was 120 a couple of years back.
He's worn well ain't he cashy
Old 23-06-2012, 10:43   #8
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Possibly something to do with coming from Morecambe ! It puts years on you .... or so I've heard ! Westminster shores retirement community anyone ?
Old 23-06-2012, 10:55   #9
Resting In Peace

Quote:

No Dianne that profile pic is a photo of the stand at the old Morecambe ground Christie Park before they moved a couple of years ago. And looking at his posts he's definitely a Shrimps supporter.
Old 23-06-2012, 10:59   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Possibly something to do with coming from Morecambe ! It puts years on you .... or so I've heard ! Westminster shores retirement community anyone ?
All that sea air should be good for you -though of course the sun (which always shines in Morecambe Bay) can be very ageing...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 23-06-2012, 11:04   #11
God Member

Quote:
No Dianne that profile pic is a photo of the stand at the old Morecambe ground Christie Park before they moved a couple of years ago. And looking at his posts he's definitely a Shrimps supporter.
Whoops -well one footie ground looks pretty much like another to me.

Have only ever been to Anfield and Goodison Park myself - though I have had to watch a lot of games on TV over the years, I'm not a big fan...

Like the sound of you being Shrimps supporter though Sue -something quite apt about it!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 23-06-2012, 11:12   #12
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
All that sea air should be good for you
Where do you get that idea from ? Surely everything we've taken as read & passed on from the generations before us are wrong. Some snot nosed uni student as part of a government research consultation group has decreed it so & of course our wonderful governments pass this invaluable information onto Joe & Josephina Public & tell us what's best for us (this month) !

Your naivety & acceptance does you credit Mo. Shows you're still not at cynic level yet.
Old 23-06-2012, 11:22   #13
God Member

[quote=mobertol;999238]All that sea air should be good for you -
Quote:
Where do you get that idea from ? Surely everything we've taken as read & passed on from the generations before us are wrong. Some snot nosed uni student as part of a government research consultation group has decreed it so & of course our wonderful governments pass this invaluable information onto Joe & Josephina Public & tell us what's best for us (this month) !

Your naivety & acceptance does you credit Mo. Shows you're still not at cynic level yet.
I don't have a cynical bone in my body DiG! It's like country air - that's good for you too so they say - I should know as i live in it.

If I could choose -I can honestly say I prefer the smell of salt on the wind over the good "country" smells that are round here today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4683.jpg (448.4 KB, 3 views)

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 23-06-2012, 11:27   #14
Resting In Peace

Quote:

Well I'm a fully fledged cynic, it's in my genes and comes from my Dad, who was born with a cynical spoon in his mouth.

Wasn't the sea air thing supposed to be about ozone levels??

Secrets of 'bracing' sea air bottled by scientists - Telegraph

Quote:
Like the sound of you being Shrimps supporter though Sue -something quite apt about it!
Ha ha! Yep a fully fledged Shrimpie - I've been to three whole games, two of which were against Accy! I have been to both the old and new grounds, apart from that only Peel Park as a youngster with my dad and Preston North End when I was a student. I'm assuming that your forays to footy grounds were also in your heady student days in the Pool!
Old 23-06-2012, 11:43   #15
God Member

Quote:
Well I'm a fully fledged cynic, it's in my genes and comes from my Dad, who was born with a cynical spoon in his mouth.

Wasn't the sea air thing supposed to be about ozone levels??

Secrets of 'bracing' sea air bottled by scientists - Telegraph

Ha ha! Yep a fully fledged Shrimpie - I've been to three whole games, two of which were against Accy! I have been to both the old and new grounds, apart from that only Peel Park as a youngster with my dad and Preston North End when I was a student. I'm assuming that your forays to footy grounds were also in your heady student days in the Pool!
Still think the smell of DMS/Ozone is better than the methane we regularly get subjected too here in the country.

Once was enough but yes, I saw both the Reds and the Blues back in the good old days in the 'Pool of life!

Went to see the Grand National too - was a great experience.

Just remembered I also went to Doncaster United ground once to see them play one of the London teams (Tottenham i think it was) - had a fiancée from over the Pennines once

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..