Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 09:51   #1
Resting in Peace

Hyndburn Homes TV aerials

Was just wondering if people living in HH properties, have problem with the ordinary digital sign when its raining, every time it rains the digital picture starts to craze and eventually the signal goes altogether. It doesn't bother me too much because I have satellite TV and can switch over. however I know that there are quite a few people near me, most of them elderly, who don't have satellite, and their TV is their only entertainment. Seeing that HH insisted that everybody uses their TV aerials, even for sat. if this lose of picture affects all properties, its time HH sorted it out.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:05   #2
God Member

Re: Hyndburn Homes TV aerials

I don't watch TV much but have never experienced the loss of signal when I do watch.

The positioning of the aerial on a particular block of flats may be bad and cause it to get a weak signal which may be easily interrupted by bad weather.

When I had my own SKY dish it was badly positioned and often got weather interference, but there was no better position open to me to site it.

Last edited by MargaretR; 07-08-2012 at 10:08.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:10   #3

Funnily enough that used to happen to us with sky digital, bad rain or snow the picture would start to pixilate and then go altogether. Was the final nail in the coffin for our sky subscription. Now freeview from the normal ariel and no problems at all.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:12   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I don't watch TV much but have never experienced the loss of signal when I do watch.

The positioning of the aerial on a particular block of flats may be bad and cause it to get a weak signal which may be easily interrupted by bad weather.

When I had my own SKY dish it was badly positioned and often got weather interference, but there was no better position open to me to site it.
Well the two aerials are in the same position Margaret yet the digital signal goes yet the Sat signal is unaffected
Old 07-08-2012, 10:14   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
Funnily enough that used to happen to us with sky digital, bad rain or snow the picture would start to pixilate and then go altogether. Was the final nail in the coffin for our sky subscription. Now freeview from the normal ariel and no problems at all.
These aren't normal aerials Alan they're flaming massive things, the place looks like a space station
Old 07-08-2012, 10:16   #6
God Member

Since Jaysay's block of flats is at the bottom of a hill, and our aerials point towards the top of the hill (where I am), then it looks as though the aerial pole should be taller/longer.

Whether or not that would be practical, I don't know enough to say.

PS the Sat signal points to a satellite - the terrestrial signal comes from the other side of the hill.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:23   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Since Jaysay's block of flats is at the bottom of a hill, and our aerials point towards the top of the hill (where I am), then it looks as though the aerial pole should be taller/longer.

Whether or not that would be practical, I don't know enough to say.

PS the Sat signal points to a satellite - the terrestrial signal comes from the other side of the hill.
The digital pole is way above the rooftops Margaret, so that shouldn't be a problem, I'm looking at it out my front window now
Old 07-08-2012, 10:38   #8
God Member

On google earth you can find out height above sea level.

Your block is 13 metres lower than mine, which indicates that the hill may well be causing reduction in signal strength.

I don't for one minute think that you will want a 13 metre pole for the aerial

Old 07-08-2012, 10:43   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
On google earth you can find out height above sea level.

Your block is 13 metres lower than mine, which indicates that the hill may well be causing reduction in signal strength.

I don't for one minute think that you will want a 13 metre pole for the aerial
Or that you will need one
Old 07-08-2012, 10:51   #10
God Member

This link confirms that the terrain can cause signal problems, and some solutions are suggested.

How to increase digital TV signal strength - by Jennifer Claerr - Helium

Old 07-08-2012, 11:11   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
This link confirms that the terrain can cause signal problems, and some solutions are suggested.

After reading
Quote:
any old antenna will work
it was obvious that the writer had little or no knowledge of the subject except maybe a degree in "cut & paste"
Old 07-08-2012, 11:16   #12
God Member

It did say 'if you live near a transmitter'

Old 07-08-2012, 11:21   #13
Resting In Peace

Quote:

Margaret, wouldn't have thought that Ms Claerr would be one of your favourite people having written this article

Positive emotional effects of a scented home or apartment - by Jennifer Claerr - Helium

A home filled with pleasant aromas will seem cleaner and happier to friends and family who come to visit. So if you have a big event planned in yourhome, it's a good idea to have home fragrance products in every room to help diffuse tension and keep the atmosphere jovial and lighthearted. A home filled with pleasant aromas will seem cleaner and happier to friends and family who come to visit. So if you have a big event planned in yourhome, it's a good idea to have home fragrance products in every room to help diffuse tension and keep the atmosphere jovial and lighthearted.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:25   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Margaret, wouldn't have thought that Ms Claerr would be one of your favourite people having written this article

Positive emotional effects of a scented home or apartment - by Jennifer Claerr - Helium

A home filled with pleasant aromas will seem cleaner and happier to friends and family who come to visit. So if you have a big event planned in yourhome, it's a good idea to have home fragrance products in every room to help diffuse tension and keep the atmosphere jovial and lighthearted. A home filled with pleasant aromas will seem cleaner and happier to friends and family who come to visit. So if you have a big event planned in yourhome, it's a good idea to have home fragrance products in every room to help diffuse tension and keep the atmosphere jovial and lighthearted.
I was unaware of her fragrant connections, however, I do use organic natural fragrance essential oils.

It seems so does she
"Aromatherapy, which has been used for many millennia, is the practice of using natural, essential plant oils to enhance mood, and improve physical well-being. Inhaling the aroma of certain essential oils will trigger specific responses within the brain. For example, scents from essential oils such as jasmine, lavender and sandalwood can help to calm the mind and body when we're nervous or overstimulated. Other scents such as peppermint, orange and basil are stimulating and invigorating."

Last edited by MargaretR; 07-08-2012 at 11:28.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:26   #15
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I was unaware of her fragrant connections, however, I do use organic natural essential oils.
So do I Margaret, great minds think alike

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..