Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 17:46   #16
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: annoying gits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think thats the best one yet Lettie mademe smile
I'm sure that one of the members on here once said that they use that tactic. It must have been in a thread a couple of years ago but I can't remember which one..

Have to say though........ it works.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-07-2008, 19:15   #17
Senior Member+

Nice one lettie, thats got to be the best one I have herard.

buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 19:58   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
just scream very loudly down the phone and tell them to pi$$ off
You are such a sweetheart
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 20:04   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
It's really quite simple (but a bit unethical). When they ask for Mrs Farren, tell them that you are Mrs Taylor from the Coroner's office and you are there with the police investigating the suspicious death of Mrs Farren. Say that all Mrs Farren's contacts have to come in for questioning and ask for the caller's name and address.

I'll bet money that they don't ring again.........
When they phone me and ask if Mr. Slater is at home, I ask "are you a friend or a relative of the deceased?" And when they say "neither" or something like that, I tell them to go fornicate elsewhere, and leave us to mourn in peace. Sometimes I just go right to the "fornicate elsewhere" bit
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 20:33   #20
Beacon of light

Oh Eric I like that one too........you nawdy boy
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 20:43   #21

I never seem to have the presence of mind to come up with something really inventive like some of you lot have made a mental note though, will see what happens next time I get an unwanted call
Old 02-07-2008, 20:45   #22
Senior Member+

Im the same, I just say "sorry, you have a wrong number"
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:50   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
You are such a sweetheart
Our flashy has a way with words Eric they go straight to the heart
Old 03-07-2008, 09:57   #24
Resting in Peace

I had a faze of people (from the same firm I my add) trying to sell me a satellite repair plan, I put up with this for weeks, they tried every trick in the book, trying to make me think they were Sky themselves,who I have always dealt with. In the end just snapped one day and I let this bloke have it both barrels, the full gamut of four letter word profanities, it worked as I haven't been contacted since
Old 03-07-2008, 17:40   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
It's really quite simple (but a bit unethical). When they ask for Mrs Farren, tell them that you are Mrs Taylor from the Coroner's office and you are there with the police investigating the suspicious death of Mrs Farren. Say that all Mrs Farren's contacts have to come in for questioning and ask for the caller's name and address...
Something like this?
Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 18:32   #26
Junior Member+

Thats just brilliant
Old 04-07-2008, 17:16   #27
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

well got another call today, and guess what?......I told em This must be a wind up and to get a proper job and pi$$ off!!......

seemed to work
Old 05-07-2008, 09:11   #28
Senior Member+

when someone comes round my house or rings me and i want to get rid of them i simply say in spanish, sorry i dont speak english, they are soon gone lol
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:06   #29

25 years ago (back when digital watches were still a pretty neat idea) the Jehovah's Witnesses called at stupid-o-clock on a Saturday morning. I'd never seen them before, & didn't know this was how they worked, so instead of hiding I answered the door. When they started talking I didn't immediately recognise the sales patter, so I made the mistake of engaging them in conversation.

They were itching to get away before long. If you've seen that episode of Father Ted where Dougal manages to convert a bishop to Atheism, you'll know what I mean.

One of them said "I see you're wearing a digital watch- don't you think that's a testament to the glory of God, that he gives mankind the creativity an intellect to dream up things like that. It's not as if you could put all the bits in a jar, shake it up and out comes a digital watch."
"Yes you could."
"Wha...?"
"There's a statistical probability that you could shake up all the bits and it would make a watch. Sure, it's low, but it's possible."

I can't remember what excuses they made to leave, but that was the one that did it.
Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:05   #30
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I had a faze of people (from the same firm I my add) trying to sell me a satellite repair plan, I put up with this for weeks, they tried every trick in the book, trying to make me think they were Sky themselves,who I have always dealt with. In the end just snapped one day and I let this bloke have it both barrels, the full gamut of four letter word profanities, it worked as I haven't been contacted since

I've had that one - several times. They try to tell me that my husband originally took out an insurance cover plan and now we need to renew it. They must have some access to records of the Sky subscription because they called me Mrs. Whisp*. (It is now Whisp-Busman but the Sky subscription is still in my late husband's name.) I got tired of telling them we had no such insurance and even if we did have I don't want to renew it. The last one was good though because they asked if they could speak to my husband - now I could have just put them on to Busman but I felt wicked and asked them if they meant Mr Whisp whose name the Sky subscription was in. They replied "yes" so I told them I woukd check if they had a phone line installed at the cemetary. They asked me if that was where he worked and I replied "No, that's where he's buried!" (He was actually cremated but they don't know that.) - They hung up - I wonder why?

well not actually Mrs. Whisp - they used the name I had when married to my late husband.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..