Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 12:40   #16
God Member

Re: Best Opticians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
if yer bad wi yer lamps, the info ya supply could well be duff.
Well - no - - opticians tell me that with glasses I achieve 'pilot's vision'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-07-2010, 14:31   #17
Senior Member+

I know with Glassesdirect they send an optician out to take all the correct measurement including Pupillary Distance....this is for Varifocals only! They dont do an eyetest though!....Ive always seemed to need my glasses adjusting slightly after ive bought them, which is one thing which is putting me off online a little i suppose.

Assuming Specsavers in store price is the same as its online price, they are working out £150 cheaper than D&A. I've added all the relevant extras on for Varifocals, Thinner Lenses, Transistions and other coatings so that they are the same as my current ones, so would hope that this pricing would be correct!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 15:06   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Well - no - - opticians tell me that with glasses I achieve 'pilot's vision'
Perhaps they meant "Jim Reeves" pilot?
Old 10-07-2010, 12:07   #19

I used to go to D & A in the Arndale, also the one on Dutton St and Phillip Pratts on Abbey St but the best and most thorough eye test I have ever had was at Asda Rawtenstall.

I have been going there for about 4 years now, and am always very satisfied with the prices and service.

I can highly recommend them.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 17:34   #20
Senior Member+

I've just ordered my New Specs now and ended up going to Specsavers! Must admit i was plesently surprised at the price and was pleased with the thoroughness of the test. Even though it now means i've got a Hospital appointment to look forward to, because the pressure within my eyes are pretty high!!

As i mentioned previously, my last couple of Pairs from D&A were £500 each time, and the ones from Allens before this not much less. The pair i've just ordered which will be ready next Saturday came to £235 + the £21 Eyetest! This is for exactly the same type of Thin Varifocal Lenses, with Reactions Tint and both Scratch Resistant and Anti-reflect coatings, that i've had previously, the frame was a £99 Red or Dead one compared to my £140 Jaeger one at D&A, so even allowing for the £41 difference in frame price, thats a hell of a big difference for the same lenses!!

They even beat the price i could get with the glassesdirect website for an online purchase by over £80. So i'm very pleased with this!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 06-08-2010, 18:47   #21
Senior Member+

I am due a eye test and after reading your report Taggy I think I will go with Specsavers again, thanks
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 20:24   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
I am due a eye test and after reading your report Taggy I think I will go with Specsavers again, thanks
It was a very thorough eye test heth, they even takes photo's of your eyeball and will show them to you afterwards, showing any areas which may be of concern...thought i was looking at Planet Mars for a moment!

And as i say, on price too i think it would be difficult to beat them. Obviously my prescription is quite a strong one, and with using varifocals and reactalite too, it results in a fairly expensive pair of glasses. For a more bog standard prescription maybe the price differential would not be quite as large, but after yesterdays experience i do feel confident in reccomending them!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 06-08-2010, 21:41   #23
Senior Member+

Worn mine since I was 4 so 23years now and they have got stronger n stronger but I dont need any other special requirements so I may have a bargain on my hands here!! Work pay for my eye test aswell.........result!!

Thanks again
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:48   #24
Senior Member+

for years i went to the opticians on blackburn road near last orders, around where chemist is now.

When they closed i have only tried two. Specsavers(who's glasses fall apart easy) and Spex. Been with spex ever since i god fed up with specsavers glasses falling to pieces.
Old 07-08-2010, 19:25   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
for years i went to the opticians on blackburn road near last orders, around where chemist is now.

When they closed i have only tried two. Specsavers(who's glasses fall apart easy) and Spex. Been with spex ever since i god fed up with specsavers glasses falling to pieces.
For the most part Specsavers Glasses are not their own brand, mine in this instance are Red or Dead, if they fall apart its not Specsavers fault...but they will replace or repair them if its a fault with the glasses as any other optician do! My last £500 pair from D&A fell apart 3 weeks after i bought them...they replaced those no problem, as indeed they should do!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 08-08-2010, 07:33   #26
Senior Member+

hehe

i think for the most part i am unlucky with glasses. What was funny once my friend was in specsavers and the guy was demonstrating how the bendy frames don't brake, he was twisting them around in all angles then he stretched them apart and they snapped in to pieces
Old 08-08-2010, 10:26   #27
God Member

Those bendable frames were an expensive scam.
I recall Darwendosser and I visiting Vision Express for new glasses for both of us and the bill came to over £1000 - and that was in the 90s.

They were useless for me because the bendy action caused me to be seeing through the wrong part of the lense - they were 'lopsided' - I need a lense in a fixed position for astigmatism.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:30   #28
Senior Member+

I had a pair of those bendy frames once, they were ok i suppose, but as you say a bit gimicky really!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 08-08-2010, 18:11   #29

When you think that the lenses cost about a tenner and the frames 1/2 that I'm sure that your glasses are a bargain
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 20:02   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
When you think that the lenses cost about a tenner and the frames 1/2 that I'm sure that your glasses are a bargain
Rather depends on what your knowledge of Strong Prescription Thin varifocal lenses with Reaction, and Scratch and Anti-glare coating is?

Best Regards - Taggy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..