Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2010, 20:54   #1
Senior Member+

Best Opticians?

I use Varifocal Glasses with Transitions Lenses in, i've mainly used either Allens or Dolland & Aitchison Opticians previously. Because i've got a fairly strong prescription, i like to order the thinner lenses, which are lighter on the nose. The price of my last pair of specs, was £500 which aint cheap.

I'm really due for an eyetest & probably new specs about now and would like to get the cost down if at all possible. I've done a quick online check with Glasses Direct and can get something similar for around £325 and i've also checked Specsavers online for a quote, and seem to be able to get a pair similar for round about £350. I'm a bit dubious with my prescription, ordering online, so was wondering if anyone else had done this, and also what your experience both pricewise and service wise was at our local opticians?

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-07-2010, 21:07   #2

Re: Best Opticians?

I have used Specsavers for quite a number of years, but not online. I too have varifocals, and my last pair about 12 months ago, cost me under £200. It may, if possible, be better for you to go into the shop, you may also get a good deal on a pair of glasses as well, as they often have good offers on.
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 21:11   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I use bi-focals taggy, was wi specsavers fer years, wasn't happy so switched to allens about 4 yrs ago, after paris recommended em, had no complaints wi them, apart from fact last test a couple months ago they told me i was starting wi cataracts on both lamps,
Old 08-07-2010, 22:03   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I use Varifocal Glasses with Transitions Lenses in, i've mainly used either Allens or Dolland & Aitchison Opticians previously. Because i've got a fairly strong prescription, i like to order the thinner lenses, which are lighter on the nose. The price of my last pair of specs, was £500 which aint cheap.

I'm really due for an eyetest & probably new specs about now and would like to get the cost down if at all possible. I've done a quick online check with Glasses Direct and can get something similar for around £325 and i've also checked Specsavers online for a quote, and seem to be able to get a pair similar for round about £350. I'm a bit dubious with my prescription, ordering online, so was wondering if anyone else had done this, and also what your experience both pricewise and service wise was at our local opticians?

Best Regards - Taggy
Varifocals are useless for men, but OK for women. Only tried them once for a short time, changed them for bifocals.
Males are geneticaly imprinted to stand still and move their eyes, from the old hunter gatherer days.
Whilst women point their noses at every thing and flit from thing to thing like butterflies.
Notice that women have to be looking at the person talking to them, and when they are in a group, they spin like tops. Put 3 women in a car and its dangerous, can't stop talking and turning their heads.
And before you feminists start braying just observe a group of women and look where your going when your driving.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 23:11   #5
God Member

I have bought glasses online twice and been pleased with the goods.
I have a very strong prescription(astigmatism) too and prefer thin lenses.
When I started filling in my prescription details I found that one eye was 'off their scale' (it was so strong).

I emailed them and they were able to acommodate me at a small extra charge above the norm. They charge extra for thin lenses too, but even when those extras are added the glasses worked out much cheaper than a high st optician.

Another advantage I found was that you can chose a frame which is a proper fit to your nose and ears, by looking at the sizes on a comfy pair you have and ordering that size.
Opticians on the High St seem to stock frames too small for me.

There are several online opticians - I think the one I used was called
lowcostspecs*

*PS I have just googled for them and can't find the site, but there are dozens of them to browse

Last edited by MargaretR; 08-07-2010 at 23:21.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 23:15   #6
God Member

Pure Vision on Broadway are very good, would recommend them anytime
Old 08-07-2010, 23:24   #7
God Member

PPS - they were also able to supply 'middle distance' lenses for computer use - just make sure that the optician who tests you puts the relevant note about it on your prescription.

Old 08-07-2010, 23:48   #8
God Member

another PPS
found the one I used
Low Cost Spex online prescription glasses

Old 09-07-2010, 07:06   #9
God Member

We are next door to an opticians, Optical Direct at altham, so anyone who wears glasses here, (including me for reading) uses them, dont know how they compare on price though because i have never checked!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:58   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I use bi-focals taggy, was wi specsavers fer years, wasn't happy so switched to allens about 4 yrs ago, after paris recommended em, had no complaints wi them, apart from fact last test a couple months ago they told me i was starting wi cataracts on both lamps,
Get Paris to give um a rub wi emery paper, thad'll sort um out
Old 09-07-2010, 09:00   #11
Resting in Peace

I've got an optician that comes to your home, had an eye test and got two pair of glasses for £60
Old 09-07-2010, 09:16   #12
Senior Member+

Thanks for all your replies and they've given me some food for thought now as well as some more online and local opticians to look at!

I was very surprised to find Specsavers online price around £150 cheaper than either Allens or Dolland and Aitchinson, where i've usually bought my specs over the years. I'm assuming their in store price should be the same or similar to their online one, but will probably call in next week to check this out.

Mine work out quite expensive because they are both the thin varifocals because of the weight issue, and they are transitions with a non refect, anti glare coating on too, which are great for in the Sun and for Night time driving too!

I suppose i'm a touch apprehensive ordering online, because ive never done this with Glasses before, and as i need them all the time, its an important decision to make. I know with Glassesdirect, they will let you try 4 pairs at home free, before you make a choice, and for varifocals, they send an optician out to do the measurements before they make up a pair, so thats more reassurance really.

I guess i've just been used to having the comfort of knowing if ive a problem with them, or if they need adjusting, you can just pop back into your opticians if you bought locally.

I guess the best thing to do really, is to get an upto date eyetest carried out, then to call in at the other local opticians mentioned to see what prices they come up with and compare these to some of the online places.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:14   #13

Hi,

I'm a bloke and find varifocals very usable. Last lot I got were from Specsavers - way more expensive than advertised & not much cheaper than D&A in my view. I will be going back to Vision Express next time (soon).

PS - with (some) of the on-line firms you still need to see an optician for correct fitting etc. for anything other than single vision. Not sure how they work it - whether you have to go to a nominated shop or they send someone to your house.
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:44   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebtelford View Post
Hi,

PS - with (some) of the on-line firms you still need to see an optician for correct fitting etc. for anything other than single vision. Not sure how they work it - whether you have to go to a nominated shop or they send someone to your house.
I have bought bifocals online without that service, and had no problems.
Online sites show you how to measure pupillary distance.
I suppose the specs you get are only as good as the info you supply.
If you strictly follow the online instructions, you shouldn't have problems.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:36   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have bought bifocals online without that service, and had no problems.
Online sites show you how to measure pupillary distance.
I suppose the specs you get are only as good as the info you supply.
If you strictly follow the online instructions, you shouldn't have problems.
if yer bad wi yer lamps, the info ya supply could well be duff.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..