Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 11:53   #1
Senior Member+

Question Budgies

Hello has anyone got any tips on keeping budgies and also can anyone recomend a place to get them from round here?
My Grandma is coming home after being in hospital since June and wanted to buy her something different for Christmas that will keep her company.
Thanks
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-11-2010, 12:45   #2

Re: Budgies

Get a cockatiel.... x
Old 03-11-2010, 12:53   #3
God Member

i have a parakeet, 'Flame', he's dead easy to keep, get them a big enough cage, plenty of food and water and some toys to play with and they will be happy, his food costs about a quid a month so they are cheap to keep

only had him 21 months but i'd not be without him now
Old 03-11-2010, 13:16   #4
Senior Member+

thank-you both, I put budgie but any kind of bird will do. Will look into both of these
Old 03-11-2010, 14:28   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heth View Post
thank-you both, I put budgie but any kind of bird will do. Will look into both of these

ANY bird? there's plenty of pigeons going free out there

i think they sell budgies at Clitheroe Auctions
Old 03-11-2010, 15:44   #6

I hope she like,s it
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 18:07   #7
Full Member+

Budgies are very easy to keep , but they do make a mess with seed shells , feathers when moulting and of course poo. depends how well your grandma is , she may not want to vaccuum every day.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:01   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
Budgies are very easy to keep , but they do make a mess with seed shells , feathers when moulting and of course poo. depends how well your grandma is , she may not want to vaccuum every day.

Thank-You, I would do the cleaning as I visit her nearly everyday anyway I just wanted her to have something to focus on and look after (i.e feeding) as she has been very ill but alot better now.
Old 04-11-2010, 13:02   #9
Full Member+

Find a breeder and tell him what you want. Usually breeders handle the budgie in preparation . You will need a young one if learning it to talk. you also need a cage , seed , millet sprays , a mirror in cage, cuttle fish , sand sheets and of course a chute for the water.A little costly at first but seed and millet are cheap enough and that what will be bought regular. A budgie is good company for any one . Can be a bit noisey when competing with TV ha,ha.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 17:40   #10
God Member

or you could always ask on realcycle for a cage, it won't cost you anything then
Old 04-11-2010, 17:57   #11
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Thinking outside of the box ! Why not get her a Chicken instead (they haven't got a Chicken one) it's a bird isn't it ? She'd have free eggs & everything & when it does pop it's claws .... well Sunday dinner is a pretty good bet !

It's Okay, I was just leaving anyway !

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 04-11-2010 at 18:02.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 18:46   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Thinking outside of the box ! Why not get her a Chicken instead (they haven't got a Chicken one) it's a bird isn't it ? She'd have free eggs & everything & when it does pop it's claws .... well Sunday dinner is a pretty good bet !

It's Okay, I was just leaving anyway !

Dont go!!!!! You made me chuckle!!! Gonna try the indoor variety at the mo I tink but I wont rule chickens out, thank you for your suggestion!!!
Old 18-11-2010, 09:54   #13
Senior Member+

We now have a new addition to the family!!! Baby budgie named Joey!!! Very cute little bird, he is cream with baby blue spots on him at the moment but he is only 6mths old so will prob change!!

My gma is very happy with her new addition and keeps turning tv off and sitting next to the cage talking to him so Joey should be talking and swearing in no time!!! Thanks for all your comments tho, I ended up going to a pet shop in Burnley and got a deal!!

Starter cage for him, food,sand paper for the bottom of the cage and Joey for 」31!!

Old 18-11-2010, 10:04   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
We now have a new addition to the family!!! Baby budgie named Joey!!! Very cute little bird, he is cream with baby blue spots on him at the moment but he is only 6mths old so will prob change!!

My gma is very happy with her new addition and keeps turning tv off and sitting next to the cage talking to him so Joey should be talking and swearing in no time!!! Thanks for all your comments tho, I ended up going to a pet shop in Burnley and got a deal!!

Starter cage for him, food,sand paper for the bottom of the cage and Joey for 」31!!
Bloody Hell you could have got a decent Turkey for half that price and it would have done for more than one meal
Old 18-11-2010, 18:31   #15
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
sand paper for the bottom of the cage
If you're going to have him doing DIY ? An orbital sander would be better for whipping a couple of inches off the bottom of his cell !
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..