Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2007, 17:39   #1

Cashcards

Whilst out shopping this afternoon i called into Homebase for a tin of paint. The sales assistant rang my purchase up and i handed over my debit card, nothing unusual in that. But the chip and pin was not working so he had to scan my card, then he promptly handed my card back to me. Once the receipt came through he asked me to sign the authorization slip which i did but obviously he did not have my cash card to check my signature. I asked him did he want my card back, he looked at me and said no. Now the question i am asking should he be reported or not? Okay the purchase was £9 but it could quite have easilly been £900 and i might not have been the rightful owner of the card.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-11-2007, 17:50   #2
God Member

Re: Cashcards

The whole point of chip and pin was to erradicate fruad where teh till operator didn't check teh sig strip. If you want to report him to anyone its Homebase as it is their profits he is risking.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 18:20   #3
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Something similar happened to me once, went to the till handed my card (storecard) and he never asked me to sign, which ya do for store cards, he even gave me back the slip that they are supposed to keep that I should have signed!!
mind you he was learning and he seemed to be in a flap because the place was packed out!
Old 03-11-2007, 20:47   #4

you have your right,s stick to them,if you get any more problem,s go to welfare,right,s and they will help you sort it out.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 21:00   #5
God Member

i thought that was illegal now .i remember thats what the fraudsters used to do to clone your credit card i would go back to the store and ask for an explaination sounds dodgy..
Old 04-11-2007, 10:32   #6
God Member

Seems rather pointless having chip and pin if they're just gonna let you use the signature one if you don't have your pin on you!
Old 04-11-2007, 10:36   #7
God Member

Sara has put that she was asked to sign cos the chip and pin machine wasn't working. Signing for it is still accepted where there is either no chip and pin machine or where it is playing up, which seems to be happening more and more!!

Saw a new system that uses the chip and pin but instead of picking 4 numbers, each time you go to pay a grid comes up of which you will have memorised a 4 box pattern so the numbers change each time.

May not explained it well but I thought it was a great idea

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 15:48   #8

I did actually speak to someone at the time re: my signature not been checked, that is what annoyed me as i lost a card not so long ago. Did get it stopped though before anyone could use it. The manager said he would speak to the person and that all signature's should be checked. I was just wondering what others would do, either complain that the signature weren't checked or just ignore it.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 16:25   #9
Resting in Peace

Think I would probably ignore Sara .. can understand roughly why he didn't feel the need to check, after all you didn't know the chip and pin wasn't working and he knew you were willing to put it through on this system in the first place, if you can understand me, which doesn't entail a signature.

Never thought checking a signature was of any use anyway .. if you had nicked the card, then you would have practiced to get it somewhere near the signature on the card.. my debit card signature is hardly legible now anyway, and nothing like the signature I used to do on receipts .. you always try to do your 'best writing' on a card, don't you ..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 17:30   #10

i was in asda the other week and a woman did the exact same thing with me
Old 04-11-2007, 17:31   #11

i would of been quite upset if for instance my card had been stolen and people are just using it and being allowed
Old 04-11-2007, 17:32   #12

i would of be would of been quite upset if for instance my card had been stolen and people are just using it and being

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..