Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-05-2010, 17:52   #1
Senior Member+

Cost of a Replacement Combi Boiler

I wonder has anyone recently had a new combi boiler fitted? I was wondering what was the minimum price i could expect to pay?

I've an old boiler, about 16 years old, which has been pretty reliable over the years, but its now in need of a Powerflush.

I've been quoted £695 by BG for that and a Spirovent Magna Booster which should help prevent future deposits entering the boiler, and would like to know if anyone else has had this done too, and if it was money well spent.

I've just had a BG chap round who quoted £3,300 for a replacement, which quite frankly i cant afford. Apparently as my flue isnt to current regulations, this needs to be altered and as ive a small porch area out back, they will need to hire scaffold at a cost of £500!

So if anyone else has recently had a replacement, could you tell me how much it cost!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-05-2010, 18:33   #2
God Member

Re: Cost of a Replacement Combi Boiler

Taggy, the boiler you have will be ok for parts for a while yet, and though not as efficient as a new one, would be servicable. BG always tell people their boiler is obsolete, this is purely because the boiler isnt manufactured anymore, but the parts ARE, they also always recommend a powerflush, and always at twice the cost we charge (350), they get paid commision for getting the work, they also get 18 quid for getting you to have a new boiler quote. The flue is only 'not to current standards', it isnt illegal, or dangerous, as it would have been to standards when it was fitted, otherwise they would never have serviced it in the first place. It is a waste of money fitting a spirovent, because the damage has already been caused, and after flushing, the system would be clean, it isnt worth adding extra protection to a boiler of 16 years of age. Replacement costs vary, dont accept any quotes from anyone who hasnt asked what your personal requirement for hot water are, we usually beat BG by anything up to a grand, and usually offer a better spec for that. If you need good advice, ring the office, speak to Sarah, she will book you a free of charge visit, and I will explain in detail what you need, I will cost it for you, and then it is up to you to get other quotes, and compare cost to quality, at the very least, you will be well informed.
Old 26-05-2010, 18:57   #3
Senior Member+

Cheers for that Derek...i'll give the office a call tomorrow and arrange a visit!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 26-05-2010, 18:58   #4
God Member

You are welcome Taggy.
Old 26-05-2010, 19:30   #5
God Member

One of the karma sent for my answer was not signed, but thank you whoever sent it
Old 26-05-2010, 20:34   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
One of the karma sent for my answer was not signed, but thank you whoever sent it
My finger was hovering over the report button for a few moments there Derek,

How would the above fit in with rule 15a?

Rule 15a you ask?

Quote:
15a No Karma comments to be posted on the open forum.
I decided it was a comment on karma, not a karma comment, let's hope the mod's see it the same way!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 20:40   #7
God Member

Thanks Less, I must read ALL the rules, is about time! Sorry for breaking the rules!
Old 26-05-2010, 20:44   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
Thanks Less, I must read ALL the rules, is about time! Sorry for breaking the rules!
Only teasing.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 06:56   #9

Sounds like a stupid rule, why can you not comment on your Karma or give Karma comments?
After all its a function of the forum.

Anyway, back OT.

If you are on benefits you can get a grant that may pay for most of a boiler.
Link

Last edited by Neil; 27-05-2010 at 20:12. Reason: remove swearing
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 07:05   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
Sounds like a stupid rule, why can you not comment on your Karma or give Karma comments?
After all its a function of the forum.
Less was joking
Old 27-05-2010, 08:33   #11
Senior Member+

Just rang the office Derek and spoke with Sarah, she's booked me a visit for next Weds at 10 am, so see you then. Many Thanks.

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 27-05-2010, 19:49   #12
God Member

I look forward to it Taggy, Mattylad, the link you posted was for the fuel switch, ie from coal or electric, to gas, I expected it to be the warmfront one, which I will explain to Taggy, most on here know what I think about warmfront, or whatever eaga's 'trading' name is these days.
Old 27-05-2010, 22:14   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I've an old boiler, about 16 years old, which has been pretty reliable over the years, but its now in need of a Powerflush.

look Taggy, you can't trade the kids in when they get sick of the washing up ya know
Old 27-05-2010, 23:19   #14

I also said that I cannot find bug ger all about the not talking about Karma rule, heck I cant even find any rules because they are likely hidden away somewhere.

And now I get told off because I am alleged to have used *'s to hide swearing.

Did I heck!
Its the forum that puts the stars there!

Fuel switch can work as well, you just need some electric heaters in & can get a nice new boiler in place. Its not like they come round & inspect every house... lol
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 23:22   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

if ya didn't type the unacceptable words it wouldn't put the ** , i know done it meself.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..