Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-08-2010, 10:15   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Councillors Claiming expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts simon View Post
Thanks, for the insult, it was uncalled for. I am trying to raise a serious point about taxpayers money, but you really don't seem to give a toss.

The teenager in question is 15, so I am told, so do they really need childcare?
Seeing your so informed, I ask, by law, what is the age of a child designated as, and as I said if the person in question hand not been a Tory you would never have opened the thread, you are snide , end of
Old 29-08-2010, 10:19   #32
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accysimon View Post
The debate is, in my opinion, should the expenses be claimed when the 15 yr old is staying with friends, not official childcare, or stays at home alone, as 15 yr olds often do.
Does it matter who the councillor is? He holds high office and already claims enough allowances.
If it's a debate about what the rules are regarding eligibility for childcare expenses, why even mention a particular person?

If you really think rules are being broken, you should have the strength of your convictions to name the person, and if you are incorrect, face the consequences when the councillor sues you.

All this smoke and mirror stuff, and veiled hints, is snide.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 10:22   #33
Give, give, give member

I think you should heed your own advice.

Quote:
...there are may Councillors who are fit for purpose, and many who aren't. The only way to sort it out is at the ballot box on election day. No amount of threats, or rumour mongering will force them to resign
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...tml#post405320

Old 29-08-2010, 10:46   #34
God Member

I would rather see someone trying to have an occupation as well as being a single parent. Balancing both must be a nightmare at best hell at worst. The tax credits are there for those willing to do both as it is not always possible to do both on a limited income. There are also limits as to what they can earn before a reduction is applied to the benefit but it is always the following financial year. If income goes up this year its the next award that is affected and it is possible for the household income to be less when the new one comes in. It is a balancing act on a razor blade. It must be hard not to be around when your teenager is at home and the parent is working.

No rules broken then no issue.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 11:09   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
I would rather see someone trying to have an occupation as well as being a single parent. Balancing both must be a nightmare at best hell at worst. The tax credits are there for those willing to do both as it is not always possible to do both on a limited income. There are also limits as to what they can earn before a reduction is applied to the benefit but it is always the following financial year. If income goes up this year its the next award that is affected and it is possible for the household income to be less when the new one comes in. It is a balancing act on a razor blade. It must be hard not to be around when your teenager is at home and the parent is working.

No rules broken then no issue.

But why is he claiming allowances that he doesn't need or use?
How many of you will complain when your council tax rises to help cover these expenses??
Old 29-08-2010, 19:41   #36
God Member

Quote:
How many of you will complain when your council tax rises to help cover these expenses??

He is entitled to thats why.

Mine wont its frozen.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 30-08-2010, 10:07   #37
Resting in Peace

Having thought about this since yesterday, it appears its another dog and pony show, probably the same dog but a different pony
Old 30-08-2010, 10:16   #38
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
How do you know he doesn't need or use them?

That is either, one heck of an ignorant assumption or, do you have some facts to prove what you claim? If so, please do, PROVE it!

P.S. I notice you have now narrowed it down to a he instead of a he/she, we'll get a name out of you within the next 30 or so pages.

Last edited by Less; 30-08-2010 at 10:23.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 18:40   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Having thought about this since yesterday, it appears its another dog and pony show, probably the same dog but a different pony
Could be the other way round or the dog is on the ponies back facing the wrong way.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 01-09-2010, 14:50   #40

you either didnt say or you were not asked HOW do you know they are claiming expenses and where have you got the information from

secondly do you know just how many councillors DONT claim any expenses ???
Tickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 15:18   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickler View Post

One.

His Worship, the Mayor.

It could be more, I suppose. As he sometimes posts in the third person.

So in theory we could count him as at least two.

Old 01-09-2010, 16:18   #42
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickler View Post
you either didnt say or you were not asked HOW do you know they are claiming expenses and where have you got the information from

All councillors get a basic allowance of just under £4,500 with 60p per mile for council business. The chair of each committee gets an extra £1,500 per committee and these are currently allocated by Peter Britcliffe:

Councillors - Peter Britcliffe

The allowance for Leader of the Council was increased a few years ago to £21,000 and there are also much smaller allowances for other senior positions.

Mayor Malcolm Pritchard is the only councillor not to claim any expenses due to his personal situation. It's not my place to discuss it in depth but it's all perfectly above-board and not something that anyone would decry as irregular.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 19:00   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

It's not my place to discuss it in depth but it's all perfectly above-board and not something that anyone would decry as irregular.
Unfortunately, even if every one of you is whiter than white, all that is needed is innuendo from folk like the thread starter, he seems to have a grudge, he hopes he can get others on board by spreading rumour, if I was you I wouldn't even try to justify yourself or others until he dares to name names.

Then you'll know he really is just another bitter, vengeful type of guy.
Old 01-09-2010, 19:07   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Seeing your so informed, I ask, by law, what is the age of a child designated as, and as I said if the person in question hand not been a Tory you would never have opened the thread, you are snide , end of
Oh well, I didn't read the thread properly, I didn't know it was a Tory, keep going Pal,

(Just read it again Jay, I can't tell the accused is a Tory), perhaps you know something the rest of us need to know?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:41   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Oh well, I didn't read the thread properly, I didn't know it was a Tory, keep going Pal,

(Just read it again Jay, I can't tell the accused is a Tory), perhaps you know something the rest of us need to know?
Read some of his previous posts Less, that's how I know, I can also remember another chap coming on here and staring a similar thread asking questions about expenses and was answered by a Labour councillor, only to be sussed as a Labour councilor himself trying to stir it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..