Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2008, 20:13   #16
God Member

Re: Couscous, Anybody Tried It?

Marg you sound like my mum, her face is a picture when she sees anything like this or foreign muck as she calls it
Old 24-09-2008, 20:16   #17
God Member

Teh way I cook it is by melting some butter in a pan, add a few herbs of choice(dry or fresh depending whats to hand, usually oregano, sage, some thyme and maybe basil), when teh herbs have transferred their flavour to the oil add the cous cous, fry for a few mins, then add a tin of chopped toms, bring to boil, add a little water to about twice volume of teh cous cous in liqued, turn off, put lid on pan and then just stir every 3 or 4 mins till teh cous cous has absorbed the liqued. serve hot with grilled meat, fish, etc

any extra can be left to go cold, add chopped fresh toms, sweetcorn, celery, tuna flakes, salt, black pepper and anything else you like for a tasty lunch teh next day.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 20:20   #18
Beacon of light

Bernie....that is ME.......when I go away with my daughter(who will eat anything)....I tell her, 'don't give me none of that foreign muck'....and she will try to coax me to try it......but I'd rather be shot than poisoned. I heave at the smell of curry......I have never tasted it because the smell makes me feel nauseous.
Pasta, Pizza, lasagne.......don't eat it......I will cook it for others to eat, but not for me thanks....I'd rather have a jam butty
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 20:46   #19
Passed away 25-11-09

Oh Mrs P, you and I are definitely not soulmates where food is concerned.

If it will fit in my mouth - I will eat it. I ate things in Saudi Arabia that I couldn't begin to describe, though I drew the line at eating dog in a Fillipino restaurant (the waiter was gracious enough to skip over, it on the menu, saying, "English no like that"). That was an ethical, rather than a gastronomical, choice.

I eat food from every nation, I love Italian and Greek food and can cook quite a few dishes, and I'll try anything once. I have cooked camels' testicles and sheeps' brains and once ate a jellied scorpion (God, that was awful).

Couscous? It's a piece of peepee.
Old 24-09-2008, 20:51   #20
Resident Waffler

I love couscous. It's so versatile, can be flavoured and really absorbs the flavour. Can be eaten hot with a hot meal or cold with a salad. Makes a great snack too with chopped up salady things mixed in.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 20:53   #21
Beacon of light

Oh, West Ender you are making me heave....do please stop it......my beef and barley is looking for an emergency exit.

I must admit, I am a nightmare to take out for a meal.....which is probably why I don't eat out very often.

I have travelled extensively....but I have never been tempted to try local 'delicacies'......I even got the chef to make me an omelette when we dined out at a posh restaurant in Hong Kong.....though hubby had beef with ginger and spring onions(eaten with chopsticks).
Old 24-09-2008, 21:01   #22
Passed away 25-11-09

Margaret, try it next time - please! You are missing some taste sensations that you could only guess at.
Old 24-09-2008, 22:54   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

tried it when i lived abroad, tasted great to me, but that was after a Mahou Marauders night.
Old 25-09-2008, 00:11   #24
God Member

Love cous cous, but have to say the best I have tasted happens to be served on the pick and mix salad section of Morrisions, yum

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 05:25   #25
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
Margaret, try it next time - please! You are missing some taste sensations that you could only guess at.
Sorry, West Ender.......I'll have to give it a rain check.
Old 25-09-2008, 09:22   #26
Resting in Peace

Well I've tried everything going in the food department, but neve couscous, wouldn't even know what it was if it was on my plate, is it comparable to anything else?
Old 25-09-2008, 13:05   #27
God Member

a bit like bulgar wheat or very small grains of rice

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 16:30   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
a bit like bulgar wheat or very small grains of rice
Oh thanks entwisi
Old 25-09-2008, 21:58   #29
God Member

Really enjoy the stuff ... easy to cook, goes well with most flavours, cheap, and good for the health. Rather bland on its own, but get creative and it is great.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 22:34   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Really enjoy the stuff ... easy to cook, goes well with most flavours, cheap, and good for the health. Rather bland on its own, but get creative and it is great.
Thank goodness for that thought for a minute we might be getting back to the suet scenario Am definetly going to give this a try

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..