Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2011, 21:24   #16
God Member

Re: Dead ants ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Ring the council Em, tell them you have the boys and you are worried they might put them in their mouths (i know they wouldn't but the council don't know that) thhey might send some sort of exterminater round
I am the 'exterminater', Flashy.

Please remember that.

Sleep well.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-08-2011, 21:52   #17
God Member

Don't forget to try and squeeze out a little wee wee, might be a good idea to have a wee before your journey home too
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:54   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I think it may be the result after a "swarm". Winged ants fly off to form new colonies & the old workers die off, that's just my assumption though, really you'd need to look at some wildlife/nature sites to get a better insight.
Think you maybe right there Dave there were some flying ants in our hallway entrance (see what happened when HH removed the blood locks)and Joan gave them a good squirt of ant powder, needless to say they won;t be flying of anywhere to find new homes
Old 10-08-2012, 12:04   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think you maybe right there Dave there were some flying ants in our hallway entrance (see what happened when HH removed the blood locks)and Joan gave them a good squirt of ant powder, needless to say they won;t be flying of anywhere to find new homes
They are back again ... under my patio step .... getting ready to fly off. Yep, same time of year.
Reminder to self to plug up those holes after they have gone.
Sorry re. quality of pictures ... one taken through patio window.. 'ain't going anywhere near those little sods... yuk.

Ants 007.JPG Ants 006.JPG
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:11   #20
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
They are back again ... under my patio step .... getting ready to fly off. Yep, same time of year.
Sorry re. quality of pictures ... one taken through patio window.. 'ain't going anywhere near those little sods... yuk.

Attachment 23691 Attachment 23692
Mard arse, you should be killing them, they will only go and infect some other poor sod. Cementing the cracks up after theyv'e gone is no good, the blighters that are left behind will find another way out, the flag wants lifting and some parrafin pouring on the nest, they don't like parrafin, and they wont come back to that place.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 17:17   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Attachment 23691 Attachment 23692
Ain't seen too many this year Kate, there were a few knocking about assembling for their annual fling, but they got swatted with ant killer. Yours defo look like they're ready to wing it

Last edited by jaysay; 10-08-2012 at 17:19.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 19:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealeaf View Post
the point, ms flashy, was in answer to the final sentance in the very first post in this thread - 'any one any ideas?'

it is pretty obvious that few people who subscribe to this website and probably even fewer who write for the local rag know little about the wonderful world of nature. Given that accy web is probably represenative of the local populace, then there's more than one who claim to be cat lovers on here ( personally i'd string that lot up) and there's even a few who claim to be dog lovers - although after what happened at the local rspca centre a few days ago, that's got to be a joke.

So then:

A) go elsewhere for advice on your ant investation.

B) and certainly don't bother with the ao about animals and insects.

Could i respectfully suggest you now depart asap to wetherspoons for your friday night ration of alcopops and then, after a good sleep-in, come back on here tomorrow afternoon in the cold light of day?
someone came on here asking a perfectly sensible question to get slated by you, why on earth do you have to be such an obnoxious prat. Comparing the question to a mistake in the local rag, obviously i & others don't get the comparison. If you can't answer the question fair enough, but it doesn't warrant your response.
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 20:28   #23

It could have been an ant death circle, just Google it, also could they have eaten something poisonous.
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:44   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Mard arse, you should be killing them, they will only go and infect some other poor sod. Cementing the cracks up after theyv'e gone is no good, the blighters that are left behind will find another way out, the flag wants lifting and some parrafin pouring on the nest, they don't like parrafin, and they wont come back to that place.
Don't mind admitting am a mard arse .... all six/eight legged creatures make me feel like I have taken an overdose of Senna-pods. Freaks of nature that's what they are.

I will, however, search for a supply of paraffin as suggested ... don't want to appear to be a selfish citizen. Must remember not to steady my nerves with a fag though at the same time.

As for lifting the flags !! Retlaw, I am a mere helpless Damsel, and this task is way off my remit scale.

Take off hasn't happened as yet (I don't think). A little quiet just now, but will liven up later no doubt.

Watch this space.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 11:22   #25
God Member

In my quest for non toxic cleaners I read up about Borax.

One of its many uses is as an ant killer.

Here's how to use it

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 22:47   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Try buying Borax around here, no chance, online only option.
Old 24-08-2012, 08:51   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Try buying Borax around here, no chance, online only option.
Sad but true - the supermarkets don't sell it and small hardware stores are long gone.

I have ordered some on ebay .

I will be using it as a toilet cleaner because I can't tolerate chlorine fumes.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 10:42   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Sad but true - the supermarkets don't sell it and small hardware stores are long gone.

I have ordered some on ebay .

I will be using it as a toilet cleaner because I can't tolerate chlorine fumes.
Most supermarkets i tried plus hardware outlets,aint even heard of it. i ordered off amazon.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..