Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2008, 06:46   #76
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Does anyone still shop at Accrington Market?..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Regulation started to take a grip and the market was dead from there on in.
Roy, can you please explain that a bit more for me?
I thought the market slowed down due to places like Asda opening up.
Old 15-10-2008, 10:09   #77
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I know this isn't the Nostalgia forum and I have to confess I haven't shopped on Accrington market for over 45 years but this thread has taken me right back to 1960. I used to frequent a stall that sold lady's clothing and I bought many a nice top for £1/19/-. They didn't last long but, at that price, it didn't matter. I could buy a pair of "fully fashioned" nylons for £1/11/- from the "open" market and then spend half an hour in the Fish Market, just breathing in that wonderful fishy smell, before buying the plaice my mum had sent me for.

Back inside, there was a cheese stall, near the back of the market hall, where I used to buy Strong Lancashire and half a pound of strong cheddar then on to the tripe stall for a pound of honeycomb.

I'm still buying pretty much the same foodstuffs on Warrington Market.
Used to do the shopping for my mother in the early 60s West Ender, used to go to Greenwoods cheese stall, and the buscuit stall just accross (can't remember the name) then go into whitewells icecream cafe and ice drink, then have a look at Cliffe Walmsley's mens shop at the bottom, then out to the outside market for the fruit and veg
Old 15-10-2008, 11:33   #78
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Roy, can you please explain that a bit more for me?
I thought the market slowed down due to places like Asda opening up.
The market was in decline long before Asda.
The old market replaced with, was considered a good building at the time, open at two sides and small stalls. The building was to be a cash cow for the council with no consideration given to the traders or the customers. Standing under that roof on legs in winter was something else.
Regulations starting to kick in.....charging traders for putting on a small display on the front of the stall and various other extras.
Lots of traders left and never returned.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 11:43   #79
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
The market was in decline long before Asda.
The old market replaced with, was considered a good building at the time, open at two sides and small stalls. The building was to be a cash cow for the council with no consideration given to the traders or the customers. Standing under that roof on legs in winter was something else.
Regulations starting to kick in.....charging traders for putting on a small display on the front of the stall and various other extras.
Lots of traders left and never returned.
i can go with that,the great new market, was crap by comparison, also the market superintendent was related to Attila the Hun, will not name him, cos relatives may be members, but i know one trader who left cos of his attiude.
Old 15-10-2008, 11:48   #80
God Member

Too many councillors have chamber of trade connections and regard a market as unfair competition.

So they make sure that stall charges price out the competition and the market dies.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 20:27   #81

It's no good blaming the supermarkets Bury Market is thriving and the town has a huge Tesco and Asda
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 20:31   #82
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
It's no good blaming the supermarkets Bury Market is thriving and the town has a huge Tesco and Asda
ah someone without blinkers on, i said that yonks ago, new Tesco in Burnley didn't make much difference, they seem to be n easy target big supermarkets, fer those who cannot see.
Old 15-10-2008, 20:52   #83
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
It's called enterprise. Priorities have been addressed in Bury but in Accrington alas.
Get professionals to run the market not council controlled yes men.
I agree with Cashy regarding the Super Prat in charge.
If the man had experience of running a business and man management without having traders in the 'Kow Tow' situation the market would no doubt prosper.
Why spend money on the concept of markets and what councillors think the public want?
Asda found a niche and built a space round it with parking spaces for all...free.
Should a market be established in a town centre?
Who does that benefit? the council can be the only answer.
If you had a market away from the town with ample parking space, I am sure that people would support local traders.
Why should high street stores be placed in the prime positions.
I could go on all night be I may be accused of Waffling.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2008, 14:42   #84
God Member

Looks like the council read this thread and brought forward the plans to update the market hall

Accrington market hall revamp brought forward 12 months (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Old 19-10-2008, 17:29   #85
Junior Member+

We have started buying fruit and veg there if we can get down on a saturday. Excellent value for money and always fresher than the crap they sell in asda. Bought some meat from one of the butchers inside but it was cheap crap and half of it ended in the bin. We plan to shop down there alot more, doing our bit for the community.
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 17:52   #86
Full Member+

Angry Re: Does anyone still shop at Accrington Market?..

Accrington used to be the place to be, but not any more. There hasn't been a decent bookshop in town since Wardleworths closed their doors, and white goods are at a premium since Curries and Dixons fled the Arndale. The supermarkets are okay, but the last two electrical items I have purchased from Asda have both been returned as useless.

Anyone wanting to support the charity shops won't do better than visiting Accrington, but if it's quality stuff you require, then I'm afraid you'll have to go out of town.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 22:41   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Looks like the council read this thread and brought forward the plans to update the market hall

Accrington market hall revamp brought forward 12 months (From Lancashire Telegraph)
Apparently there is going to be a posh Café/Bar on the balcony. Heard work will start before Christmas too, which seems fine, so long as it doesn’t interfere with trade.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..