Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 15:55   #16
Senior Member+

Re: GHD hair straighteners - anywhere sell them in Accy?

I got some as a present for someone at Christmas. I bought them from Amazon, they were £90 and i got a free travel bag with them at the time. They were available on Free Delivery and they arrived in about 3 or 4 days!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-08-2010, 10:51   #17
Junior Member+

i got mine from hairs & faces near argos for £100
sammi892009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 15:13   #18

£59 upwards on here
GHD555 don't know where they are though
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 16:26   #19
Beacon of light

They are in China.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 23:22   #20
God Member

It's ok, I got some from an official supplier and happily paid full price! I like bargain hunting but not really with expensive electrical goods, so I'd rather be safe than sorry.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 14:53   #21

blow salons is a registered dealer and have the new limited edition ones in stock.
Old 05-08-2010, 16:44   #22
Resting in Peace

Just a question and looking for a serious answer.

Why are these straighteners any better when you can buy this item for a lot less ?

A hairdresser (who sold them in Accrington) once told me that they are a waste of money in the hands of an amateur.. i.e. us.

As I have nightmare curly hair and, at present, using hair straighteners which cost me about £25 about 3 years ago, would these do it any better ?

Please convince me and I will rush out tomorrow to buy some.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 16:55   #23
Beacon of light

I had some cheaper ones......but after trying my daughters GHD's was converted.......they were far superior, smoother on my hair and I do get good results with them, but no way would I consider myself an expert.......I hasten to add that I do not use them every day, as it worries me to use a lot of heat on elderly hair....GHD's make my hair sleek and shiny and tame the grey ones(which behave like pubes....and go in all directions).
Old 05-08-2010, 16:57   #24
Beacon of light

Sometimes I wonder if Hairdressers tell folk that they are useless in the hands of amateurs because they don't really want you to be doing your own hair(cynical me)...it takes away their livelihood. I bet the same hairdresser would sell you a set without a second thought.
Old 05-08-2010, 17:30   #25

I bought the red ghd`s today from THEFUNKYGROUP.CO.UK they where £110 inclunding vat and delivery(next day tracked online). They are an official supplier so i know they arent fake. There a lot of fakes out there, I bought a pair last year off ebay and they turned out to be very good fakes.
sausage butty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 17:45   #26
Resting in Peace

Thanks Margaret for that. The ceramic has worn off a little now on the ones I have so does 'scrape' a little, so figure time to bring out my back up pair. .. M & S ones.

I wash my hair and try to straighten certain parts of it every day and it is still in good condition and believe me it really is attacked. Blow dried, hot hair styler, hair straighteners, back brushed, then heavily sprayed. Must have spent 20% of my life sorting this mop out. Why, oh why was I not born with Timotei hair ...

Don't think the hairdresser who said this was trying to sell me any at all .. had known him for years and just general conversation... depends on their profit margin anyway. May have more on a cheaper pair. Ok .. imagine curly hair as having a whole mop like pubes. That is what I have to deal with every day.
Old 05-08-2010, 18:50   #27
Beacon of light

Oh Kate, my sympathy to you, my hair is mainly straight,(one side does have an annoying 'flick' though) but the grey ones stick out like sore fingers.......I haven't met anyone who has tried GHD's and then gone back to the cheaper ones, and they must be easy to use if I can get to grips with them.
I can highly recommend them
Old 05-08-2010, 21:03   #28
Resting in Peace

Ok .. will ask my current hairdresser to let me have a go with hers and see how they behave... cheers..
Old 05-08-2010, 22:34   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

In my opinion GHD's are too expensive for the build quality. In fact I think they are cheap rubbish sold for lots of money. I have repaired several pairs and am not impressed by them. For the money I would have expected them to be a lot better.

They dont have solid ceramic plates for a start. They are aluminium with brown stuff on them. the plastic that holds the plates in place is poor and goes brittle in time.

The new pink ones are worse. The cases appear quite fragile. I know someones who fell from the dressing tables onto the carpet floor and the cracked very badly. Not what you expect for well over £100
Old 05-08-2010, 22:39   #30
Senior Member+

2 pairs broke and didnt chance buying a third pair!
heth is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..