Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2011, 15:21   #1
Full Member+

Gypsy Burials

Here’s something I’ve been wondering about: When a gyspy dies where is he/she buried?
The obvious answer might be “the nearest cemetry to where they’re camped” but supposing, for example, a husband wants to be buried in the same plot has his wife who’s died previously and they’ve died in different parts of the country. Or do gypsies have their own special customs and their own cemetry?
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-10-2011, 15:31   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Gypsy Burials

Have no information, just wanted to say what a good question. Hope someone has the answer.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 15:45   #3
God Member

I have googled.
These sites are informative
The Patrin Web Journal - Romani (Gypsy) Death Rituals and Customs
Remembering our Family

I did look at several more. They all indicate christian burial (either catholic or anglican).
There was no mention of the need to bury in graves of previously deceased relatives.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 17:28   #4
God Member

there's a few up on the catholic side in Pleasington Cemetary
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 17:37   #5
Resting in Peace

I can once remember when I was still at St Mary's on Moscow Mill Street, I was coming home from school at lunch time and there was a caravan on fire on the 'Green' it seems that the old lady who's it belonged to had died and it was a ritual to burn all there worldly goods, only ever saw it once, must have been around 56 or 57
Old 27-10-2011, 18:02   #6
Full Member+

Thanks for the replies. It was when I was driving past the funeral directors on Blackburn Rd (which had a Gypsy gardening van parked outside) that the question popped into my head.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 22:27   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I can once remember when I was still at St Mary's on Moscow Mill Street, I was coming home from school at lunch time and there was a caravan on fire on the 'Green' it seems that the old lady who's it belonged to had died and it was a ritual to burn all there worldly goods, only ever saw it once, must have been around 56 or 57
Can remember being told of that custom, when i lived wi em awhile in 60s, never actually seen it though.
Old 28-10-2011, 05:17   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
bradd pitt did that to his Ma in the movie snatch

bit of a bummer for teh kids if they live with mum and she dies they will be homeless

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 08:53   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
bradd pitt did that to his Ma in the movie snatch

bit of a bummer for teh kids if they live with mum and she dies they will be homeless
Won't take um long to nick another
Old 28-10-2011, 09:23   #10
I am Banned

Groove knows of local gypsys off Whinney hill site buried in Accy cemetery.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 14:59   #11
God Member

alternative solutions like burial in outer space are now an option

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 18:49   #12
Senior Member+

There is a big elaborate twin grave stone in Dill Hall Cemetery with a model of a caravan on it, I often wondered if it was a gypsy grave. I can't remember the name on the stone and don't go there nowadays to find out.
If anybody is wandering around there the grave is at the back, towards the school and at the end of the next path up from the old Chapel.
Old 28-10-2011, 20:38   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
There is a big elaborate twin grave stone in Dill Hall Cemetery with a model of a caravan on it, I often wondered if it was a gypsy grave. I can't remember the name on the stone and don't go there nowadays to find out.
If anybody is wandering around there the grave is at the back, towards the school and at the end of the next path up from the old Chapel.

I have seen that one Gremlin and I am led to believe they were Gypsys.

There is another grave a few behind aswell that I believe is also a gypsy grave.
I never think about the last.
heth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 20:39   #14
Senior Member+

They just give their caravans to brainiac, or top gear now to blow up on tv

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..