Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2003, 00:48   #1
Senior Member+

Post HORSE CHESTNUT TREE IN CHRIST CHURCH GROUNDS.

There is a beautiful, very large, horse chestnut tree in the grounds of Christ Church. Apparently because there has been recent mention in the local paper about diseases in this type of tree, the church people have contacted Hyndburn Council to have it checked out. They say it does NOT have the disease but is unsafe.  They are talking of cutting the tree down.   This is awful!  How can I find out about getting some expert advice on this - we have to fight this!  It has been there for over a hundred years and is part of the conservation area.  How do you go about getting a preservation order on a tree?   (of course we do realise that if the tree really is unsafe, then there is no option but to fell it)
Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-07-2003, 00:32   #2

Post Re: HORSE CHESTNUT TREE IN CHRIST CHURCH GROUNDS.

Not seen the tree, but being in a conservation area means nothing to a tree. They naturally, from small acorns or such, grow, mature, die and fall over.
The trick is for them to fall over safely.
However, local authorities and landowners would seem to be ering on the side of caution - if in doubt, chop it down.
On past experience with the local officials, a second opinion would not go amiss.
And a few prayers on Sunday.
request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2003, 09:31   #3

Surely we can accept that a statement from a Vicar is the truth and that the tree is a possible hazard. Remember that we are now in an era of litigation.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2003, 11:10   #4
Senior Member+

Thanks to my two replies.  It has been condemned because of rot at the junction of the Y-shaped conker tree.  The Council were only asked to check the tree out following recent disclosures that similar trees in the area had a disease.  They now say this tree is rotting where two branches had been previously lopped off.  The wood is very soft there.  But ... surely, a lovely old tree as this should be given at least someone else's opinion. The tree looks beautiful, no sign of anything wrong at all. The leaves are green, the conkers are now growing. I have heard there is such a thing as cutting the problem bark away and filling with a special type of filler.  Anyone ever also heard of this?  In the meantime, I will think on this one.
Atarah   ???
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2003, 11:54   #5

I agree with you atarah it is a great shame if they cut the tree down

katy
malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2003, 11:39   #6
Jo

sorry, it's not quite in theme but I was wondering the other day, are there any normal chestnut trees in Accrington or just Horse Chestnuts? Does anyone know? It just popped into my head as the chestnut and new wine season is about to start here, and I don't remember having ever eaten chestnuts in England.
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2003, 12:53   #7
God Member

No Chestnuts - you poor girl!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2003, 13:39   #8
Senior Member+

young girl fell out of chestnut tree last week and ended up in pendlebury hospital happened in milnshaw park near me. she was in a bad way so i believe.
Old 23-09-2003, 15:19   #9
Senior Member+

Read about that one Janet.And it is in the Accy Observer site, for definate this time.Double checked.Surely when a tree reaches a certain age it is protected.Reckon Cazzer would be the one to get on to about this.She is either well informed or knows exactly where to get the proper info from.Surely if the roots are well stabilised and healthy it would be ok.
Jo after being in the old country last month i saw a lot of chestnuts.
Mostly accompanied by good looking females :-[
Gotta go wife is reading obver my shoulder.
Ow this is killing me
somebody call the police
Wo she has got the carving knife out.Thats it me off.If you do not hear off me then you are all invited to the cremation.
Ow. Ow Ow
Old 23-09-2003, 16:48   #10
Caz
God Member

All I know is what I got from the Telegraph a couple of months ago.

The tree is in a conservation area, and is subject to a preservation order. But after  other trees nearby, and in other parts of Hyndburn were condemned due to disease, the Vicar decided to call in the council. When it was checked they found it was diseased, but not with the same fungal disease that caused the other ones to be  condemned. It is apparently decaying  internally.

Whilst the tree could potentially last for a long time yet, there is the possibility that it could collapse without warning, and it is being felled on safety grounds.

It is supposed to be felled sometime between October & March, so let's hope there isn't an accident during the conker season.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2003, 12:44   #11
Jo

My uncle is a tree doctor in Accy. Didn't no such things existed til he became one, I think it's a cool job.
Old 26-09-2003, 14:34   #12
Senior Member+

Does he have a local branch then??
Old 29-09-2003, 11:30   #13
Caz
God Member

[quote author=Jo link=board=qanda;num=1059353313;start=0#10 date=09/24/03 at 13:44:42]My uncle is a tree doctor in Accy. Didn't no such things existed til he became one, I think it's a cool job.[/quote]
Surprised you've only just twigged that one Jo! ;D

- Oscar Wilde
Old 29-09-2003, 11:36   #14
Jo

ha ha ha LOVL.   ;D ;D
Made me laugh did those. Anyway, yes he does have a branch in Accy, is there quite in teh early morning, but always LEAVES quite soon - but then he WOOD, woodn't he, has he's out doing surgery on the trees most of the day!

Old 29-09-2003, 11:48   #15
Caz
God Member

Suppose it's a quite fruitful occupation then?  

Bet he always gets to the root of the problem when he's called out!  ;D

Does he have many knotty probs that he can't solve?  

- Oscar Wilde

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..