Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2010, 10:57   #1
Senior Member+

House names

Most house names seem appropriate to that particular property i.e. Pleasant View or Woodlands etc, but .. this has made me think. Its on a terraced property at the very bottom of Burnley Rd, just before Eastgate. All I can think is, has perhaps a "business" used the premises at one time. Its still on the wall though.

I dont even know what it means.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (327.0 KB, 24 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-10-2010, 11:15   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: House names

Ther·mop·y·lae (thr-mp-l)
A narrow pass of east-central Greece. It was the site of an unsuccessful Spartan stand against the Persians in 480 b.c.

Thermopylae - definition of Thermopylae by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 17:49   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF View Post
Ther·mop·y·lae (thr-mp-l)
A narrow pass of east-central Greece. It was the site of an unsuccessful Spartan stand against the Persians in 480 b.c.

Thermopylae - definition of Thermopylae by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
It was a feature of the film the "300" which was only on the TV the other week
Old 15-10-2010, 19:57   #4

Wonder if there is a nautical connection as it was a famous tea clipper, I have a model somewhere
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 19:59   #5

THERMOPYLAE

A clipper ship is described as being a fast sailing ship with fine lines, raked masts and sharp bows noted for its speed in the tea carrying trade. The fastest of these were referred to as “Extreme Clippers”

Among them were the THERMOPYLAE and the CUTTY SARK. These two among the extreme clippers are most noted for the fast runs they made in competition with each other from China to London with tea, although they were not the only vessels engaged in the trade.

RIver Nene Shipping
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..