Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2010, 15:33   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Identity Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Yeah, right, say thank you to those little green men next time they beam you up and give you a right good probing.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-02-2010, 16:17   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I got the Letter too Bernie, it is now filed safely in my recycling white sack
Well if an ID card at £30 will be ok for where I am likely to visit why pay £90 for a passport? As I said I have no problem with the concept of ID cards in fact they could be good for the country IMHO.
Old 25-02-2010, 16:57   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Well if an ID card at £30 will be ok for where I am likely to visit why pay £90 for a passport? As I said I have no problem with the concept of ID cards in fact they could be good for the country IMHO.
'good for the country' is a phrase often churned out by governments.
It implies sacrificing civil liberties for the 'benefit of the nation'.

This may appear noble to those who have absolute trust in those who govern you, but I don't. I see it as intrusive and just another step towards the absolute control of the population as in '1984'.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 17:01   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
'good for the country' is a phrase often churned out by governments.
It implies sacrificing civil liberties for the 'benefit of the nation'.

This may appear noble to those who have absolute trust in those who govern you, but I don't. I see it as intrusive and just another step towards the absolute control of the population as in '1984'.
"good for the country" is my thought, it works in other countries so why not here? Anyway it is not mandatory to have them but from my point of view if I can save £60 it isn't a bad thing
Old 25-02-2010, 17:10   #20
Senior Member+

I have lived with ID cards for most of my adult life - and a portion of my childhood. ID card in the RAF for 18 years, ID card when working on State Prison Systems in the USA, ID Card for 17 years in Saudi Arabia.
There is nothing wrong with the priciple of ID cards, just the information they contain. TB & GB, our dear leaders, want too much on there - Name, photograph, place & date of birth, nationality, blood group, fingerprints/iris scan, should be adequate and I have no objection to that information being placed on/in an ID Card.
Old 25-02-2010, 17:15   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I have lived with ID cards for most of my adult life - and a portion of my childhood. ID card in the RAF for 18 years, ID card when working on State Prison Systems in the USA, ID Card for 17 years in Saudi Arabia.
There is nothing wrong with the priciple of ID cards, just the information they contain. TB & GB, our dear leaders, want too much on there - Name, photograph, place & date of birth, nationality, blood group, fingerprints/iris scan, should be adequate and I have no objection to that information being placed on/in an ID Card.
The principle is fine with me too - name, age, photo, nationality - which is what an old style passport is.

BUT with the RFID chipped passports and ID cards- how will you know what is on it? - do you believe you will be told the truth if you ask?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 17:32   #22
God Member

Have a look at these two pages for information about the new passports and ID cards

What are biometric passports? : Directgov - Travel and transport

Identity cards: an introduction : Directgov - Government, citizens and rights

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Last edited by Neil; 26-02-2010 at 17:43.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 17:46   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

So passports are already a form of RFID
Old 25-02-2010, 18:04   #24
Resting in Peace

Well at least you can get through passport control quicker with the chipped passports. Proves, without a doubt, that is me in the passport.

I have no problem with ID cards either ... will stop those supermarket check out lads, who think it is funny to ask me if I am over 21, when buying my carton of wine.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 18:20   #25
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I have carried a form of ID card for most of my Adult life, they are easily carried, can verify who you are to those who need to know with half a dozen valid points & without any further intrusion into your private sphere.

I believe most European countries have them for their citizens & functions well enough. Further to that with your card being recorded & issued through a central registry false cards are quickly & easily picked up, thereby identifying illegal immigrants.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 18:44   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Well at least you can get through passport control quicker with the chipped passports. Proves, without a doubt, that is me in the passport.------------------------------------ no ya can't kate, yer supposed to get through quicker but its bull, the seperate place ya can use yer new passport has NOT worked since introduced, least every time i have returned to manchester airport, so far = load of cash spent fer no return.

I have no problem with ID cards either ... will stop those supermarket check out lads, who think it is funny to ask me if I am over 21, when buying my carton of wine.
i have no problem at all with these cards, had a residencia card when i lived in spain. easy to carry n effective i found until ya try to use em in england.
Old 25-02-2010, 18:52   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Well at least you can get through passport control quicker with the chipped passports. Proves, without a doubt, that is me in the passport.

The short-sighted ones?
Old 25-02-2010, 19:03   #28
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
bet ya aint changed a bit granny.
well i didnt have any teeth then ,and i dont have any now,,,,,,
Old 25-02-2010, 19:06   #29
I am Banned

Quote:
I'm not saying owt, just lauging my head off.
Mirror mirror on the wall.

Retlaw

Last edited by Neil; 25-02-2010 at 20:06. Reason: fixed quote
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 19:21   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
I still have my identity card issued in 1941,,,,,lol
Just don't try squeezing into your gas mask.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg gas mask.jpg (11.5 KB, 0 views)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..