Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-02-2010, 11:53   #1
God Member

Identity Cards

Got a letter this morning about the new identity cards. Was just wondering if you need a passport as well as an identity card as in the blurb it suggests they both have the same use throughout Europe. Anybody know if you need both or if an identity card will be acceptable instead of a passport?
Old 25-02-2010, 11:57   #2
God Member

Re: Identity Cards

they are only for certain countries so you would still need a passport for places like Tenerife that are outside EU and further flung like Tunisia, Egypt dom rep, cuba, mexico etc

IMHO they are not something I would even consider. Look at this Goverments record on losing personal data, do you really want all your biometric stuff in the hands of crooks?

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 12:05   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
they are only for certain countries so you would still need a passport for places like Tenerife that are outside EU and further flung like Tunisia, Egypt dom rep, cuba, mexico etc

IMHO they are not something I would even consider. Look at this Goverments record on losing personal data, do you really want all your biometric stuff in the hands of crooks?
ID cards are fine for access to other EU countries, not sure about Dependencies etc of EU Countries.

Biometric infromation is now included in new passports - same information that is going on the ID Cards.

I believe a new passport costs in the region of £90
Old 25-02-2010, 12:18   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Look at this Goverments record on losing personal data, do you really want all your biometric stuff in the hands of crooks?
Some would say the Government are the crooks.

I think we will have little choice soon.
Old 25-02-2010, 12:23   #5
God Member

I don't have a problem with ID cards in fact I think they could be good for the country. Given where I will be travelling to and the vast difference in cost I may just go with the ID card. Will give it some more thought before making my mind up.
Old 25-02-2010, 12:29   #6
God Member

As we are slaves to the system, we need branding/barcoding.
Once we have accepted ID cards, the next phase will be the ID implant

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 12:35   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR
the next phase will be the ID implant
Thought we already had that. Isn't it called DNA or something?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 12:40   #8
God Member

RFID Chip in Humans

Since they are causing some health problems when used in pets, I won't be volunteering.

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2004/10/4305.ars
extract-

In case it's not immediately obvious to you why you wouldn't want to walk around in public broadcasting your financial and/or medical information to anyone with an RFID reader, Bruce Schneier spells it all out for you in a great post on the Bush administration's plans to push for RFID-based passports. Here's a nice chunk of it, but you should read the whole thing.

These chips are like smart cards, but they can be read from a distance. A receiving device can "talk" to the chip remotely, without any need for physical contact, and get whatever information is on it. Passport officials envision being able to download the information on the chip simply by bringing it within a few centimeters of an electronic reader.

Unfortunately, RFID chips can be read by any reader, not just the ones at passport control. The upshot of this is that travelers carrying around RFID passports are broadcasting their identity.

Think about what that means for a minute. It means that passport holders are continuously broadcasting their name, nationality, age, address and whatever else is on the RFID chip. It means that anyone with a reader can learn that information, without the passport holder's knowledge or consent. It means that pickpockets, kidnappers and terrorists can easily--and surreptitiously--pick Americans or nationals of other participating countries out of a crowd.

It is a clear threat to both privacy and personal safety, and quite simply, that is why it is bad idea. Proponents of the system claim that the chips can be read only from within a distance of a few centimeters, so there is no potential for abuse. This is a spectacularly naive claim. All wireless protocols can work at much longer ranges than specified. In tests, RFID chips have been read by receivers 20 meters away. Improvements in technology are inevitable.

Do you really want to walk in and apply for a job knowing that you're broadcasting details about a heart condition/HIV infection/cancer history/etc. to everyone within 20 meters, including the people who are considering whether or not to hire you and pay your medical insurance and sick leave? Do you really want to walk down a crowded street broadcasting financial data of any kind to God knows who? Is it really a good idea to broadcast personal identification information to anyone and everyone, when identity theft is one of the country's fastest growing crimes?

Last edited by MargaretR; 25-02-2010 at 12:48.
Old 25-02-2010, 12:56   #9
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Thought we already had that. Isn't it called DNA or something?
Yes, the one unique identifier that could be used very effectively as the biggest crime deterrent possible if someone could work out a flawless system.

ID cards and passports can be forged, as we have found recently. It's a clever man that can tamper with his own DNA.

Incidentally, nice avatar. Aren't there rules about bad language on this forum, though???

Last edited by Ken Moss; 25-02-2010 at 12:59.
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 13:10   #10
God Member

Your DNA can mutate
Mitochondrial DNA - Genetics Home Reference

Old 25-02-2010, 13:24   #11
Beacon of light

My passport runs out next January, I may not renew it if you have to buy one of these wretched identity cards too.(which is what was being proposed at one point)
I do not trust the government to safely store my biometric data on a card....and I do not want or need an identity card.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 14:02   #12
white rabbits

I still have my identity card issued in 1941,,,,,lol
Old 25-02-2010, 14:13   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
bet ya aint changed a bit granny.
Old 25-02-2010, 14:48   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
Still got mine from 1939. NTCC 28/3.

Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 15:13   #15
Resting in Peace

I got the Letter too Bernie, it is now filed safely in my recycling white sack

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..