Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-08-2010, 12:46   #76
Give, give, give member

Re: is accyweb dying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
that "expensive trinket" was not expensive at all.... and watches are a hobby for a lot of people so was a worthy discussion.
Swanker.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-08-2010, 15:29   #77
God Member

Well after all that rain yesterday what a nice sunny day it's been today
Old 25-08-2010, 17:40   #78
Beacon of light

That might be because the St. Swithin curse expired at midnight on the 24th of August
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 17:47   #79
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
That might be because the St. Swithin curse expired at midnight on the 24th of August
Come on that's blatant thread wondering and will upset some folk on here
Old 25-08-2010, 17:49   #80
Beacon of light

Oh is it John? I was just responding to Lancsdave.
Old 25-08-2010, 17:58   #81
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Oh is it John? I was just responding to Lancsdave.
I know Margaret, but you should realise he's a trouble maker from Th land of Dingle
Old 25-08-2010, 18:30   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Of course it thrives due to us regular posters, but now and then someone who has taken a back seat does do a controversial post (not a new point, by the way) and has been addressed as in the past, however, he has made his first decent post of what he sees as constructive criticism ... hope it is not his last. Could have another Tealeaf in the making ...
Katex
I appreciate the first positive response to my post, unfortunately I've been pilloried for expressing an honest viewpoint in response to a direct question from a long established member. Clearly I don't expect people to agree with my criticism of the site. I see lots of merits in the site with lots of helpful advice and support for fellow members
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 18:55   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiveuk View Post
I think the number of regular posters is relativly small, could this be because threads are regularly hijacked be snide, small minded, bigotted, unrelated and generally unfunny comments?

I would not insult fellow webbers with the above adjectives however I do think that there must be an explanation as to why Accyweb has so many members but so few contributors and just perhaps they would retain more members if the core members were not so keen to insult those who offer a different point of view to there own

Time to get my flack jacket and hard hat out again!!!!!
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 18:59   #84
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedman2003 View Post
Clearly I don't expect people to agree with my criticism of the site. I see lots of merits in the site with lots of helpful advice and support for fellow members
You have hit the nail on the head there. Disagreements arise, as in any conversation in real life...would it not be a boring board if we all agreed with what each member of the forum posted?

I don't really think you were pilloried.....people(me included) just disagreed with your observations.
Accyweb is one of the best sites going...in fact off the top of my head I cannot think of a better one.
If you need anything, and you put a shout out for it, then it is most likely the case that someone will have exactly what you are looking for.

Talking down the site is both unfriendly and unhelpful.
Old 25-08-2010, 19:06   #85

I think you shouldn't be so critical of your fellow webbers unless you are prepared .to put in the time and effort to keep this web alive just so that you can view it. So come in 31 I am sure you have lots to contribute. Will look forward to your new thread,
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 19:07   #86
Beacon of light

As to your post about the number of members retained...well, there are quite a few reasons why some members post more than others......some of us have retired and find time to come on here....some members work, so have less time to post...some members join so that they can sell things...and then once their items are sold don't bother to come on again......some folk find that they don't like the site a s much as they thought they would...some folk post in sections of the site they are most interested in.

It is not in our interests to insult other members...and I am pretty sure it contravenes the rules of the site.......so for anyone who feels that they have had a rough deal or been insulted/intimidated in any way can contact a moderator and report the post.

With the written word it is very hard to convey nuances, and as their is no facial expression to judge, sometimes people feel they have been insulted when really all the other person was doing was expressing their opinion.
Old 25-08-2010, 19:50   #87

Gosh. There are enough arguments in real life without having them in virtual life.
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 19:56   #88
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I've been pilloried for expressing an honest viewpoint in response to a direct question from a long established member.
pil·lo·ry (pl-r)n. pl. pil·lo·ries A wooden framework on a post, with holes for the head and hands, in which offenders were formerly locked to be exposed to public scorn as punishment.

How dreadful.

If said member doesn't release you before winter comes, I'll knit you some mitens.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 22:27   #89
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Katex
I appreciate the first positive response to my post, unfortunately I've been pilloried for expressing an honest viewpoint in response to a direct question from a long established member. Clearly I don't expect people to agree with my criticism of the site. I see lots of merits in the site with lots of helpful advice and support for fellow members
Would that be the same long established member ya called cynical, on yer daughters thread? funnily enough yer daughter appears to have a very pleasant way with her, i presume she gets that from her mothers side?
Old 26-08-2010, 00:09   #90
Roy
Administrator

Shall we set the record straight? Hehehe, accyweb would you believe is doing better than ever. Year on year we have 20% higher unique visitors. Many people use accyweb as a source of information, they don't need to post to get the information they desire. Whoever is posting, whether it is 5 or 2000 people, it doesn't matter, our readership is higher than ever before, which means the people who actually are posting must be making sense, or they are just interesting to read. The great thing about a community site is that if it is newsworthy it will be talked about, if its boring it is automatically edited out!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..