Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2006, 22:10   #16
Super Moderator

Re: Is Anyone Else Fed Up With Stanley?

In other words you have no logical arguments to support your case. Or are "decent" arguments only those which agree with you?

And what's all this about watching Stockport? I'm a Stanley season ticket holder...or are you just fishing, trying to "provoke" a reaction?
Old 27-08-2006, 22:14   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W.
Normal people
can't afford footballers wages,
And, by the way, what's that supposed to mean? Normal people don't go to football matches?
Old 27-08-2006, 23:05   #18
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
And, by the way, what's that supposed to mean? Normal people don't go to football matches?
Read it again please!
Before rushing into print, normal people can't can't can't afford to subsidise football teams.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006, 23:11   #19
God Member

Are you saying the 3 thousand people there are saturday where not normal?

You have me confused now as surely your not suggesting the millions who go to football on a saturday are abnormal ....so what did you mean?
Old 27-08-2006, 23:17   #20
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Read it again please!
Before rushing into print, normal people can't can't can't afford to subsidise football teams.
Oh dear someone has a problem why are you so bitter?
I see you list your Interests:
crossword puzzles, golf (armchair),cricket all levels
and sensible converation.
It might be an idea for you to switch off your computer and go and do a crossword, Stanley do not need subsidising but I watch local cricket and to me that is one sport that needs more money, as for the sensible converation I'm still waiting.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly

Last edited by Bagpuss; 27-08-2006 at 23:34.
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006, 23:24   #21
Resting in peace

:engsmil:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPAX
Are you saying the 3 thousand people there are saturday where not normal?

You have me confused now as surely your not suggesting the millions who go to football on a saturday are abnormal ....so what did you mean?
:engsmil: Millions watch football every week, some of them leave it on the ground and get on with other things in life. Like trying to have a
decent discussion, without being bored to tears with football.
Hence the thread starter, someone has to post them.
Regards nothing personal. Ianto.W.
Old 27-08-2006, 23:27   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Read it again please!
Right, I've read it again and I'm still non the wiser. People subsidise football teams by paying their money at the turnstiles, don't they? So, are people who attend football matches not normal in some way?
Old 27-08-2006, 23:38   #23
God Member

wat hes trying to say is that we shoudl attend the games then not discuss them for some strange reason? i think
Old 27-08-2006, 23:46   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
:engsmil: :engsmil: Millions watch football every week, some of them leave it on the ground and get on with other things in life. Like trying to have a
decent discussion, without being bored to tears with football.
Hence the thread starter, someone has to post them.
Regards nothing personal. Ianto.W.
Why should we "leave it on the ground"? Many of us like to discuss/argue about the match, player performances, incidents, attendances etc. It's Accyweb, so we talk about Stanley. Just because it bores you, does that mean we shouldn't talk about it? Plenty of threads on here bore me, so I don't read them.

And to return to my original point, Accrington Stanley has done this town proud over the last few years and it shows a particular meanness of spirit on your part to start whinging about people talking about them on the town messageboard.

Furthermore, if you're so upset about being called a "miserable sod", you may find the rough-and-tumble of Accyweb takes a little getting used to. I've been called much worse on here (especially by Blackburn Raver!).
Old 27-08-2006, 23:49   #25
Senior Member+

I have to confess that I've never watched them play. I was a youngster when my father came home in deep gloom after watching the last match in the league. My mate's hubby played for them for a while during the seventies and I've always checked their progress.

Not having lived in Accy since I was nineteen, my heart is there and Accrington Stanley says it all!

My Renault Clio proudly displays his Stanley sticker for the whole of Tenerife to see............you would be amazed at how many folk toot as we drive along...........fed up, never.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006, 23:55   #26
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta
Not having lived in Accy since I was nineteen, my heart is there and Accrington Stanley says it all!

My Renault Clio proudly displays his Stanley sticker for the whole of Tenerife to see............you would be amazed at how many folk toot as we drive along...........fed up, never.
That's what I like to hear...don't just keep the faith, spread it!
Old 28-08-2006, 00:19   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

when i had a bar abroad loads of holiday makers came in asked me where i was from- accrington i used to reply - that was immediatly followed by accrington stanley !!!! so they have without doubt brought the name of accrington to the fore, also much profit to my till, so i think you are being very mean minded ianto.w its a local forum and many people like to talk about them, by the way i am not one of them. but i do not object and i fail to see what your trying to acheive - apart from p*** people off. P.S. notice you ask people to have patience in your profile- that seems strange you dont seem to have any.

Last edited by cashman; 28-08-2006 at 00:24.
cashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2006, 12:00   #28
Resting in peace

Talking Re: Is Anyone Else Fed Up With Stanley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
when i had a bar abroad loads of holiday makers came in asked me where i was from- accrington i used to reply - that was immediatly followed by accrington stanley !!!! so they have without doubt brought the name of accrington to the fore, also much profit to my till, so i think you are being very mean minded ianto.w its a local forum and many people like to talk about them, by the way i am not one of them. but i do not object and i fail to see what your trying to acheive - apart from p*** people off. P.S. notice you ask people to have patience in your profile- that seems strange you dont seem to have any.
:engsmil: It seems like one of you is getting the point at last, I have nothing but regard for
Accrington Stanley, football in general is suffering from over exposure
listen to the wives gripe when it clashes with their favouite soap.
Furthermore thers nothing I like better than a good scrap, so bring it on!
Old 28-08-2006, 12:20   #29
God Member

So let me get this straight.
You think that Stanley discussions are inadequate to the forum, and are getting in the way of General Chat's 'sensible' topics.
...yet you start this thread which serves as much purpose as a chocolate fireguard.

Nice.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2006, 12:21   #30
Super Moderator

Quote:
:engsmil: It seems like one of you is getting the point at last, I have nothing but regard for
Accrington Stanley, football in general is suffering from over exposure
listen to the wives gripe when it clashes with their favouite soap.
Furthermore thers nothing I like better than a good scrap, so bring it on!
If you like a good scrap, how come you're bottling out of this one? You didn't start this thread by talking about "football in general" receiving over exposure. You started it off by complaining about the number of Stanley threads on this site. Now, suddenly you're being all nicey nicey about Stanley. At least have the courage of your convictions and tell us why you think we shouldn't talk so much about Stanley on Accychat.

Wimp!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..