Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 20:06   #1

Kid's activities

Hi

We're pretty new to the area and my son's struggling to find stuff to do so I'm hoping people might have a few ideas...

He's not really into football or swimming and that's all anyone seems to be able to suggest for him. In our old town he used to play roller hockey and was very into skating but I can't even seem to track down a roller disco locally. He's defo open to suggestions though so any ideas anyone? It'd be nice to get him involved in a few after school activities locally rather than travelling so he can make local friends.

He's 11 by the way, starting high school in Sept.

Cheers everyone!

Deb
newgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-01-2011, 20:09   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Kid's activities

It may help if people new WHICH AREA ?
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:15   #3
Senior Member+

Scouts?

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...oat-55365.html

Or buy him a Game Console.
Old 14-01-2011, 19:58   #4
Junior Member+

Hi - I am one of the Leaders at the Scout Group in Huncoat, andI am also currently with a group in ossy as well.

There are quite a few Scout groups located throughout Hyndburn, if that's something he is interested in PM me your details and I can put you in touch with one near you.
DizzyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 20:24   #5
God Member

there's ice skating in Blackburn, cinema on Saturdays and Sundays have kids AM, failing that you could always take him out (shock horror) on the train and explore what this country has to offer, we have a country full of beautiful museums with lots of hands on things to do, York has the rail museum, Leeds has the armouries, Manchester has the Museum of Science and Industry, Preston has the Harris museum, Bolton has the library museum, Blackburn has the textile museum.....

there's lots of things to do if you just put your mind to it and take the time to look
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 20:55   #6
Senior Member+

Hi Newgirl, please excuse the slightly patronising tone of some of the previous posts! I appreciate that it must be quite a busy time for you if you have just moved into the area. There are a few things running in the area for children currently, the Accrington Stanley Community Trust run a skills centre on a monday and a dance centre on a wednesday evenings at Accrington Academy. They will also have further schemes starting in the near future so keep your eyes open for flyers and the like. This area is massively football oriented but there are plenty of local cricket clubs too, Accrington Cricket club run junior teams as I think do Enfield and Oswaldtwistle. There are swimming and gymnastics classes at Hyndburn Sports Centre and Pioneer Swimming club train there as well. There are several scouts groups in the area and theres an athletics club which runs at wilsons playing fields in clayton-le-moors.

If you have the facility to travel then there are ski centres in rawtenstall (ski rossendale) and on pendle hill (wellsprings) There used to be a climbing club at Roefield sports centre in clitheroe, this may well still be in existance, they also have a tennis club there. Ice skating at Blackburn Ice arena, plenty of places to go fishing (given the correct licenses), it is always worth ringing volunteer burnley as well as they run some excellent clubs in some non-regular sports, I'm sure I've seen a flyer for one for inline hockey through them at uni!!

I hope this helps you chuck and if I hear of anything else I will let you know, I volunteer at Accrington Stanley Community trust so I tend to here about what schemes are going on in the area.
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 21:23   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
a dance centre on a wednesday evenings at Accrington Academy.

Thursday
Old 17-01-2011, 12:54   #8
Senior Member+

Sorry yes you're right, it was on a Wednesday when it was at new era before Christmas, sorry about that!
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..