Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2005, 19:29   #1
God Member

Unhappy Manholes

Is ther anyone out there who knows what problems may occur if we cover a manhole with a conservatory, the company said to raise and seal it but we wanted to move it. Do we have to give access to this manhole even though we have another not 10 feet away from it?
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2005, 22:08   #2
Member.

Re: Manholes

Grego.........If you cover it over the man in side might not be able to get out......... .........sorry I couldn't resist.

I’m not sure what the planning requirements would be. Is the manhole you want to cover over the same as the one that’s ten foot away? Are they connected directly…..I have one buried under my back lawn? I was advised to move it rather than cover it, but I didn’t want it spoiling the path so we took measurement so that we could find it if we need to gain access. Twelve years on it still under there. Should it not be your choice at the end of the day, do what you want to do.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 10:24   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

The manhole is there to give access to your drains should anything go wrong, cover it at you own peril, I'm sure the plumber you call out will be delighted to charge extra for all the time effort and energy required to expose the man-hole then make the job right afterwards!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 19:28   #4
God Member

I'm sure your both right, I dont know anyone who's had to give access to a manhole but it would just be my luck. Thanks anyway
Old 29-07-2005, 19:31   #5
Member.

Your welcome, Why not compromise and have the floor raised a few inches and have a trap door put in so that you have access if you ever need it…….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 29-07-2005, 19:34   #6
God Member

I think thats an option Doug but we wanted laminate but I'm sure there's a way. The problem is they originally said they could move it and now there saying they cant because of the depth, so we dont know whether to get someone else to move it or just let them get on with it.
Old 29-07-2005, 19:42   #7
Member.

You could ask for a civil engineer to have a look but watch out for costs….Is their no one on here qualified to take a look for you? But Good luck with it.....grego. I hope you get it sorted.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 29-07-2005, 20:44   #8

Move it Grego any problems with the drains and your enjoyment of the conservatory is ruined by the smell of the drains. I love my conservatory and for the extra money involved I would not have my enjoyment ruined.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 20:54   #9
white rabbits

Talking Re: Manholes

in this day of political corectness,i think you should be talking about PERSON HOLES...you may be upsetting someone with nothing better to do than find fault with descrimination of sex etc... ask les i am sure he will have a picture,,
Old 29-07-2005, 20:58   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
in this day of political corectness,i think you should be talking about PERSON HOLES...you may be upsetting someone with nothing better to do than find fault with descrimination of sex etc... ask les i am sure he will have a picture,,
ha ha good one granny.

I had major issues with drains and would have been lost without my person hole (oo that sounds rude now). To rectify the problem I had to have the quite a large amount dug up right up to the house, imagine if that happened when you have your conservatory. It would have been even worse had they not been able to access my person hole (Now that really does sound rude!!!). See what you've done now granny!!!!!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 21:01   #11
white rabbits

oooopppps sorry.. lets go back to man holes ....he he he
Old 29-07-2005, 21:03   #12

Access to person holes should be restricted to intimate areas in the dark. Bung it int back yard and stuff it.............
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 21:06   #13
Member.

Get a grip Granny, Is there not enough self righteous, politically challenged, morally repressed, short sighted and overly inflated opinionated people around without encouraging the B*g***s. I apologies for censoring my own post put it saves someone the Job. I have faith in the Moderators, all of them. Let them decide what is and isn’t correct political or otherwise……

Oh b*g***, Sorry Grannyclaret, I thought I was having a go in another thread…..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 29-07-2005, 21:10   #14
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
ha ha good one granny.

I had major issues with drains and would have been lost without my person hole (oo that sounds rude now). To rectify the problem I had to have the quite a large amount dug up right up to the house, imagine if that happened when you have your conservatory. It would have been even worse had they not been able to access my person hole (Now that really does sound rude!!!). See what you've done now granny!!!!!!!
Harwood........ I am so sorry to hear about your past problem with your person hole....”Oh someone censer me quickly”.....I do hope you have now got over the problem and that your person hole gives you no more trouble………………

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 29-07-2005, 21:17   #15
white rabbits

oh dear what have i done...... thats chucked the cat in with the pigeons,, i think i had better mind my own business (slinking off ) ......
hope the problem is soon sorted

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..