Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: should margaret pilkington report for the observer or have her own column
yes 27 81.82%
No 2 6.06%
not bothered 3 9.09%
see my post for other ideas 1 3.03%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2007, 18:01   #16
God Member

Re: Marg P for observer reporter - yah or nay

Margeret shouldn't go to the observer, the observer is becoming more and more full of pictures and no quality writing, it would only be a complete waste of her own writing skills.
If she wants to write something she should just continue to write her blog and not bother with down grading herself to the observer.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-07-2007, 18:09   #17
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Margeret shouldn't go to the observer, the observer is becoming more and more full of pictures and no quality writing, it would only be a complete waste of her own writing skills.
If she wants to write something she should just continue to write her blog and not bother with down grading herself to the observer.
and what paper would you suggest?
Old 14-07-2007, 18:11   #18
Beacon of light

Blazey, I loved to write my blog and as the members will testify I had an avid readership....I'm not really sure why, I just wrote about the boring events in my life. But, I think most folk like to have a glimpse at what is going on in other folks lives......that's why Big Brother is popular.
The journal on here, disappeared after we were hacked into by the Belgians....and sadly it has not come back.

You are right about the Observer....but I did like to read Gayle's column....I am not interested in people like the girl who complained about the caterpillar in the sweetcorn.......and why they should do a profile on her is anyones guess......fill column inches I suppose.
I wish they would let some of the Secondary School children write a column on a topic of either national or local interest. I would find their views interesting, and it could be a way to generate interest in news and the media, and help them to develop their writing skills. It may even get youngsters interested in local politics.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 18:58   #19
I am Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Wouldn't be a bad idea at all. How about it Obs?
I agree with you, Willow, but the local rag won't even acknowledge Accyweb's existence. When using Accyeb as a source, we are name-checked as "a local website".

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 19:10   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
and what paper would you suggest?
I think its clear that by saying just continue writing her blog for forum users to enjoy that I dont suggest a paper.

Why should she capitalise her blog for a newspaper to gain from when people who enjoy reading it already are?
If margaret personally wants to gain from her blog financially maybe she could consider making an E-book at the same price as the newspaper for us pay for, but why should she write her blog in a bad newspaper and let it drag her down.

If she merely enjoys writing it then she should keep on doing it the way she's doing now. Theres no need to mend something that isn't broken.
Old 14-07-2007, 19:25   #21
God Member

I think it would be a good idea, really miss reading the blogs.
Old 14-07-2007, 20:15   #22
Beacon of light

I think my readership was fairly narrow on here, and not everyone who reads the observer is a member of Accyweb.
Sometimes Blazey a good column, with a firm following can lift the writing team(not that I am so immodest to suggest that I could be the writer of the said column).
I think the Observer went downhill when it became part of the Manchester news group......it doesn't feel local anymore.
Old 14-07-2007, 20:25   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think the Observer went downhill when it became part of the Manchester news group......it doesn't feel local anymore.
You're right there Margaret.I never got to read your blog but judging by your postings on here,I reckon you'd write a fabulous newspaper column.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 20:30   #24
God Member

Just an idea for the Mods here. Is it possible to start a thread that no one else can post on?

So for instance, Marg or anyone else, could start up a thread and post in every week - not quite a blog but a column sort of thing - a once a week look at life. I'd start up Knight Life again and I'm sure others would do one.

Would only really work though if they weren't cluttered by other people's thoughts. Just an idea.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 20:34   #25
Beacon of light

Gayle....I'd definitely read yours.......I loved your column in the Observer.
I understand why you had to give it up, but I missed it.
I used to read that first then the letters.
Old 14-07-2007, 20:35   #26
Beacon of light

Thank you Lilly for your vote of confidence......it is good to know that folk enjoy reading what you write.......I set out to be Willow's apprentice waffler........and I can't seem to get enough steam up to get qualified
Old 14-07-2007, 20:39   #27
God Member

Quote:
Gayle....I'd definitely read yours.......I loved your column in the Observer.
I understand why you had to give it up, but I missed it.
I used to read that first then the letters.
Thank you, I actually miss writing it but it was a bit of a challenge to come up with something new every week.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 20:40   #28
God Member

Quote:
I think my readership was fairly narrow on here, and not everyone who reads the observer is a member of Accyweb.
Sometimes Blazey a good column, with a firm following can lift the writing team(not that I am so immodest to suggest that I could be the writer of the said column).
Not everyone who reads the observer is a member of accy web but not everybody who reads the observer really wants to read said blog either.
Also on here you have mixed varieties of people who can mention the blog via word of mouth, might be just a generalisation but people my age dont care about the local papers as much as forums on the internet and the national papers and I'm sure there are other people u might lose if it just went to the local paper, which to be quite frank is boring and any mention of it just makes me think dull dull dull. Why read locals when u can read national papers with intellectual discussions
Old 14-07-2007, 20:46   #29
Beacon of light

Intellectual discussions do not need to be confined to the national newspapers or to the internet.....and there are many people who may not have access to the internet......I am thinking older generations, who buy the Observer because it is a way of life for them. I firmly believe that the Observer has the potential to be a good local paper, but it does need some serious maintenance.
sometimes we need a lighter look at life anyway....the nationals give us all the doom and gloom we can handle.
Blazey, I think you might find my blog just a bit boring....after all most of it was just about everyday things.
Old 14-07-2007, 21:00   #30
God Member

Quote:
Intellectual discussions do not need to be confined to the national newspapers or to the internet.....and there are many people who may not have access to the internet......I am thinking older generations, who buy the Observer because it is a way of life for them. I firmly believe that the Observer has the potential to be a good local paper, but it does need some serious maintenance.
sometimes we need a lighter look at life anyway....the nationals give us all the doom and gloom we can handle.
Blazey, I think you might find my blog just a bit boring....after all most of it was just about everyday things.
Well everyone else seems to be loving it so what makes me different from them? Its not like any of you have ever met me to know what i'm like :S

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..