Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By maxthecollie
  • 1 Post By cashman

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2013, 01:31   #1

Mobile 'phone for the partially sighted?

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge related to this please?

My Grandmother has recently gone blind in one eye, due to medical mis-diagnosis , same resulting in lack of correct treatment for the condition she actually had.

The eye she's gone blind in WAS her 'good' eye , the other one wasn't functioning well at all anyway so she can hardly see now. The eye that functions a little now, had a cataract some years back that , when removing, the Doctor made a mistake and cut something they shouldn't have, hence her poor sight in that eye.

She hasn't had much luck at all.

I want to get her a mobile 'phone with clear, large buttons and a large screen, preferably one that's simple to use and has emergency dial feature.

I don't ask for much I know. She can't see her old one now, but she can see to use her house phone (which was a large buttoned model anyway) if she holds it up to her lamp.

I've been recommended a 'Doro', a 'Big Friendly Phone' and a 'TT002 Elderly' up to now- the trouble is, they all have pretty bad reviews online-the Doro not so much as the other ones but I think that one looks a bit small compared to the others.

Thank you in advance, I appreciate any help at all.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:46   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Mobile 'phone for the partially sighted?

Try Saga or Age Concern if they have any recommendations
Sunflower49 likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:39   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Have seen a mobile wi large numbers etc, so be worth asking at any phone shop.http://www.rnib.org.uk/livingwithsig...le_phones.aspx
Sunflower49 likes this.

Last edited by cashman; 06-12-2013 at 07:48.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:21   #4
Senior Member+

If you call on to the Welfare for the blind on Bank street Accrington and ask for Sarah she will give you more information.
She is not in today due to a bereavement but she will be in Monday.
PM me if you want a phone number
There are also other devices there for the partially sighted and lots of information regarding assistance, financial or otherwise.
I will be in Monday afternoon working on the braillewriter and PC.
We also have coffee mornings and social afternoons as well as trips out.

Last edited by Neil; 06-12-2013 at 15:41. Reason: phone number removed
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Try Saga or Age Concern if they have any recommendations
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Have seen a mobile wi large numbers etc, so be worth asking at any phone shop.Mobile phones - RNIB
Thanks CM-I have to say the last mobile phone store went into weren't very helpful-kept asking me if she needed 3g and other features! But I'll try another
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
If you call on to the Welfare for the blind on Bank street Accrington and ask for Sarah she will give you more information.
She is not in today due to a bereavement but she will be in Monday.
PM me if you want a phone number
There are also other devices there for the partially sighted and lots of information regarding assistance, financial or otherwise.
I will be in Monday afternoon working on the braillewriter and PC.
We also have coffee mornings and social afternoons as well as trips out.
Thanks Gremlin-she doesn't live locally but I can try to find something similar in her area

Np.
I'm glad she's lived in a bungalow since she got married. She's coping so well considering-It's really sad though, she was very much into crafts and playing games on her laptop which she cannot do now. I guess if I call the RNIB they may be able to offer some guidance as to things she can do instead though.
Thank you all xx

Last edited by Neil; 06-12-2013 at 15:42. Reason: remove phone number
Sunflower49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:50   #6
God Member

We bought some items for one of the ladies we care for from RNIB, you could try their website to see if anything there would be suitable RNIB - supporting blind and partially sighted people - RNIB - good luck
AccyMad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
We bought some items for one of the ladies we care for from RNIB, you could try their website to see if anything there would be suitable RNIB - supporting blind and partially sighted people - RNIB - good luck
Thank you
She will get some aids to help her (TV screen enhancer, large wall clock etc) at some point via her consultant but this is going to be after Christmas now.
Old 06-12-2013, 15:31   #8

The doro 506 one is great, it can be set up to have things updated by text, has an ice section for emergencies and an sos button on the back that can be set up to send text messages and calls to the numbers set up. The buttons are large as is the screen.

My mum has issues with her hands and sight problems and refused to use a mobile until I encouraged her to get a doro, she is happy with it and it was £30 in tesco, sim free so you can choose any network except 3.
xavtia is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..