Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 06:49   #1
Junior Member+

Mobility issues

Further to discussions in Intro Forum. Does anyone in here have any advice of a general nature regarding getting around as a disabled person - for example, how disabled friendly are buses and trains. Most taxi drivers seem very helpful. In the last few days I have trundled my scooter from Huncoat to Accrington Centre and back a couple of times..... and nearly froze to death (but can't afford taxis everywhere).
No one would say they knew me.
dwbmar48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-02-2012, 07:07   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Mobility issues

There was an Accy Web member, sadly no longer with us, who used to get the train up from London, to her other home up here, quite regularly. She used to bring her scoooter up on the train, and seemed happy with the service, and help she was given.

Don't really know about how accessible the buses are, hopefully someone else will.

Do you want to take a chair, or scooter, on the bus?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:33   #3
Resting in Peace

Most of the bigger buses can and do accommodate wheelchairs kneeling buses they are called i think and if you go to the library you can apply for a free bus pass (disabled bus pass)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:59   #4
Senior Member+

The biggest problem my wife finds with her scooter is people parking on footpaths and not allowing enough room to get through or parking along side a drop kerb.

I drove along Blackburn road last night and cars and taxis were parked on the footpath alongside the kebab shop with no chance of a scooter getting by.
Underneath the railway bridge nr the town centre cars were parked by the barbers, again blocking the footpath for scooters.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:56   #5
Beacon of light

Many of the buses have ramps which will accommodate a wheelchair, and although I cannot vouch for the service in the local area, I have taken my Ma(who is wheelchair bound) on buses all over the country. I have found the bus drivers friendly, helpful and cheery. Maybe this has something to do with Ma's cheery attitude too.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 13:08   #6
God Member

Haven't had any problems with the local buses when taking any of our residents on them in their wheelchairs but on the trains we have been told to ring the day before we want to travel with details of times etc., so that they are aware that the ramp will be needed - doesn't seem fair that just because someone happens to be disabled they can't decide on the spur of the moment to travel to where they want to by train as the ramps are always on the trains anyway.
AccyMad is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
buses, disabled access, taxis, trains

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..