Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2007, 13:49   #1
Senior Member+

The Queen

Has the queen ever been in Accrington? I know shes been in blackburn but wasnt sure about accrington , if so is there any pictures?

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-12-2007, 13:55   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The Queen

near sure she was in accy in the 50s, around about coronation time, remember all the union jacks from peoples bedroom windows, was only a kid at time,so could be wrong, if she was there will be photos in the observer,which you can acess at the referance library, sorry best i can do.
Old 29-12-2007, 14:15   #3
God Member

Before I grew older and wiser (i.e. before life experience) I was a young royalist who collected glossy 'royalty magazines' in the early 50's.

I distinctly remember the queen's (note lack of capital Q) visit to Accrington as part of her UK 'tour of ascension to the throne'.

I stood with my primary school mates, waving my little flag, at the bottom of Burnley Rd, as the Rolls sped past with the windows up. All I got was a quick glimpse of the duke.

I don't think that her car even made a stop in Accrington, so we were no more worth a visit then, any more than we are now, as Hyndburn

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 14:28   #4
Resting in Peace

I remember the Queen's visit .. Must haved only been about 400 yards from you Margaret .. was just a little up on the left after the junction of Penny House Lane and Burnley Road.

My memory was that she was in an open top car, and although only a fleeting glance, can remember what a beautiful complexion she had.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 14:34   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Before I grew older and wiser (i.e. before life experience) I was a young royalist who collected glossy 'royalty magazines' in the early 50's.

I distinctly remember the queen's (note lack of capital Q) visit to Accrington as part of her UK 'tour of ascension to the throne'.

I stood with my primary school mates, waving my little flag, at the bottom of Burnley Rd, as the Rolls sped past with the windows up. All I got was a quick glimpse of the duke.

I don't think that her car even made a stop in Accrington, so we were no more worth a visit then, any more than we are now, as Hyndburn
ah so thats what it was,knew she'd been to accy, if only to drive through, see fcstanley i knew the "owd codgers" would come to the rescue.
Old 29-12-2007, 14:45   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I remember the Queen's visit .. Must haved only been about 400 yards from you Margaret .. was just a little up on the left after the junction of Penny House Lane and Burnley Road.

My memory was that she was in an open top car, and although only a fleeting glance, can remember what a beautiful complexion she had.
I was further en route - she must have had the Rolls top put back up after she saw your lot

Old 29-12-2007, 14:45   #7
Senior Member+

we must all have stood together
me in my little cubs outfit think we must have had time of school
st johns at the time
almost sure photos were in the obbie

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 15:04   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I was further en route - she must have had the Rolls top put back up after she saw your lot

Cheeky.

Hey, Beechy ! I was in the Brownies, then the Guides at St. Johns' .. 'course you a lot younger than me, (well, would have seemed it at the time) but we probably walked in the same processions on walking days ! Sorry thread wander.

Sure someone on here will have a photo somewhere.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 15:22   #9
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I wasnt around if she was in accy, but i do remeber princess diana coming to church, visiting joseph arnolds i think it was
Old 29-12-2007, 15:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
I wasnt around if she was in accy, but i do remeber princess diana coming to church, visiting joseph arnolds i think it was
my grandad worked there at that time and my aunty they always tell me about when she came to visit.
Old 29-12-2007, 15:42   #11
Resident Waffler

I think she came when I was a baby. I've been told about it. There was a street party and I got a souvenir rabbit.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 15:52   #12
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

you still got that rabbit willow?
Old 29-12-2007, 15:53   #13
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I remember getting silver spoons in 1977 for the jubilee, and ya know what iv still got em
Old 29-12-2007, 16:03   #14
God Member

I was in Venice on Jubilee day 1977.
So glad I missed the palavar

Old 29-12-2007, 16:04   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post

i remember that too, i'd of only been about 5/6 at the time, my grandad used to work there too

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..