Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 11:28   #16
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Old Games ..Monopoly....Scrabble...etc

I suppose that every Scrabble player must have wondered at one time or another what is the highest score made with just one word?

I was no different and spent many hours trying all sorts of combinations to determine a result. I have found that it is possible to score 1,022 points with one word.

Before anyone goes wow! I have to confess that it was set up. What I mean is that I worked backwards and placed tiles on the board to make up words to my advantage. For instance I set things up so that during the game I placed my seven tiles to add to the already placed eight letters to form a 15 letter word across the top which just happened to have the three treble word squares and the two double letter squares empty for me to put my tiles into. Thus I got the treble word three times as well as the 50 points bonus for being a smart ass. The word was PSYCHOTHERAPIST.

O.K. just to prove the point this is what happened:-

I arranged to draw the following letters in this order:-
XUSEALT EBLREM HOJAMOR EE ABOVDWN ERIN SPS YC HP T

SEXUAL across the board with the "E" on the centre square.
TEBLREM to meet up with the "S" to make TREMBLES
HO to meet the "T" in TREMBLES to make HOT
JAMOREE across TREMBLES to make JAMBOREE
ABOV to meet the last "E" of JAMBOREE to make ABOVE
DWN across ABOVE to make DOWN
ER to meet the "A" of ABOVE to make ERA
IN to meet the "N" of DOWN to make INN
S to meet the "I" of INN to make IS
PSYCHPT in the 7 empty spaces in the top row to make
PSYCHOTHERAPIST

P=3, S=1, Y=4, C=3x2, H=4, O=1, T=1, H=4, E=1, R=1, A=1,
P=3x2, I=1, S=1, T=1 which all adds up to 36.
Triple word score 3 times is 36 x 3 x 3 x 3 = 972 + 50 = 1022
Old 08-12-2005, 11:33   #17

Re: Old Games ..Monopoly....Scrabble...etc

I like monopoly though I am also rather partial to Chess and Cluedo!
Bad-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 15:06   #18
Senior Member+

lol @ jambutty !
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 17:41   #19
Resting in Peace

HATE, HATE, HATE MONOPOLY with a vengeance, it's a game that once you are on the losing side, landing on the squares that other people have .. no way of ever retrieving the situation, whilst the estate holders gloat over your misery of you handing out your last available funds.
Slow boring death. Only game I have ever thrown my toys out of the pram and gone against the standards I like to think have given my children in being a good sport ..... grrrrrrrrrr just thinking about it.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 17:56   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
HATE, HATE, HATE MONOPOLY with a vengeance, it's a game that once you are on the losing side, landing on the squares that other people have .. no way of ever retrieving the situation, whilst the estate holders gloat over your misery of you handing out your last available funds.
Slow boring death. Only game I have ever thrown my toys out of the pram and gone against the standards I like to think have given my children in being a good sport ..... grrrrrrrrrr just thinking about it.
so i take it you're not interested in janets monopoly set in excellent condition i might add!!. go on buy it ,even if it is only to destroy it...........
Old 08-12-2005, 18:21   #21
God Member

lol! Love love love monopoly but I'm usually one of them gloating estate holders with hotels on Park Lane and Mayfair
Old 08-12-2005, 19:07   #22

What a surprise, Tinks the control freak!
Bad-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 21:55   #23

I like both scrabble and monopoly. I also like chess though I was once beaten in 3 moves, another favourite of mine is draughts.
Gayle remind us a bit nearer the time about your games day as I will definitely come along to that.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:04   #24
I am Banned

strip tiddly winks is good fun especialy if you scrap the tiddly and sick to winks and strip
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:22   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
strip tiddly winks is good fun especialy if you scrap the tiddly and sick to winks and strip
No, don't lose the tiddly, if you increase the tiddly it tends to lead to the winks and then the strip!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:24   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
I suppose that every Scrabble player must have wondered at one time or another what is the highest score made with just one word?

I was no different and spent many hours trying all sorts of combinations to determine a result. I have found that it is possible to score 1,022 points with one word.
I laugh at your 1022, heres 1830!

http://www.fun-with-words.com/scrabble.html

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 19:06   #27
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Old Games ..Monopoly....Scrabble...etc

All I can say is Wow!
Old 17-12-2005, 00:12   #28
God Member

What you need is make-your-own-opoly, you need a pc and printer though. You print the labels for the board, utilities, road names etc, and for the box. I'm doing mine with Atherstone street names, but you could use accy's.
Also that here and now edition is in WHSmith, I saw it when I bought the above version at the trafford centre on wednesday.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2005, 17:32   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
What you need is make-your-own-opoly, you need a pc and printer though. You print the labels for the board, utilities, road names etc, and for the box. I'm doing mine with Atherstone street names, but you could use accy's.
Also that here and now edition is in WHSmith, I saw it when I bought the above version at the trafford centre on wednesday.
Yes its £20 from WHS.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 11:33   #30

I had some games purchased in the 1950's which I never knew anyone else to have. There was a board game called "Oscar" which was billed on the box as "A film star's rise to fame." There was also a picture of, a young and beautiful, Liz Taylor on the box.

I also had two little known card games. One was called "I commit" and was a crime and detection game. The other was called "Contraband" and was a smuggling game.

Anyone heard of these or maybe also had them around that time?

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..