Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2012, 22:18   #31
God Member

Re: Plinths on accy market hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Never really taken to Liverpool - visited it a lot when I was a student in Preston and had a holiday in Southport a few years ago and visited Liverpool on several days for the Tall Ships Race. Still didn't do it for me - sounds patronising but I do think it's partly the accent!

Manchester was always my stamping ground and when we lived in the midlands I got very fond of Birmingham.
So, Accrington too would be by-passed becase of the accent of its inhabitants -how very sad...and prejudiced ...L'pool gave me a lot in the years I lived there and I hope , one day, to be able to give them something back...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-03-2012, 10:49   #32
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
So, Accrington too would be by-passed becase of the accent of its inhabitants -how very sad...and prejudiced ...L'pool gave me a lot in the years I lived there and I hope , one day, to be able to give them something back...
I never mentioned Accrington or any other part of Lancashire - the accent of those is music to the ears compared that of a Scouser. A lot of folk are prejudiced about accents - there was a recent thread on here - it's usually Brummy/Black Country that gets people's backs up whereas I love them.

Liverpool was good to you in your undergraduate years and I can understand your fondness for it - but don't expect everyone to feel the same.
Old 15-03-2012, 11:10   #33
God Member

I haven't been back in 25 years but i believe it is better now than when i lived there because of all the re-generation -except for the Garden Festival site of '84 which has been left to go to rack and ruin -though there are plans for regenerating it.

A friend of mine went the other weekend, with my god-daughter who is 9, and she said they had a fantastic day out. They went to the docks to visit HMS Liverpool where her brother had served as a sailor many years ago -it is being de-commissioned apparently.

Liverpool is full of stunning buildings and offers great galleries theatres and shopping. Stick your fingers in your ears and give it another go Sue!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 15-03-2012, 11:30   #34
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I haven't been back in 25 years but i believe it is better now than when i lived there because of all the re-generation -except for the Garden Festival site of '84 which has been left to go to rack and ruin -though there are plans for regenerating it.

A friend of mine went the other weekend, with my god-daughter who is 9, and she said they had a fantastic day out. They went to the docks to visit HMS Liverpool where her brother had served as a sailor many years ago -it is being de-commissioned apparently.

Liverpool is full of stunning buildings and offers great galleries theatres and shopping. Stick your fingers in your ears and give it another go Sue!
Perhaps you should visit and see if you still feel the same. As I said in an earlier post I was there for a week or so in 2008 with regeneration going on all over the place and it still did nothing for me. I'm aware of the galleries, theatres etc but it's the same in Manchester, Birmingham etc. Think we'll just have to agree to differ on this one. There are lots of other places to visit that I haven't got round to yet - far more interesting than going back to Liverpool.

I did like the lambananas:

Superlambanas - The Flock
Superlambanana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 15-03-2012, 14:32   #35
Senior Member+

The Garden Festival site has been partly restored (some of it's going to be residential) and is open I believe.
Visited Liverpool a few times recently- quite impressed, I believe its much better than it was before Liverpool 1 was built.
The accent does grate a bit, though!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 14:51   #36
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
The Garden Festival site has been partly restored (some of it's going to be residential) and is open I believe.
Visited Liverpool a few times recently- quite impressed, I believe its much better than it was before Liverpool 1 was built.
The accent does grate a bit, though!
The garden festival site will be:

a vibrant new community with over 1,300 new homes across 26 residential blocks...

I hate it when they use the word community in a context like this - a community as to develop not be created from scratch.

Granted the buildings of Liverpool One look nice but I'm not really interested in another shopping destination... yes this is a woman saying this, pick yourself up off the floor! I've been to too many already - Trafford centre, Bull Ring Birmingham, Touchwood Solihull, Merry Hill Dudley, Meadowhall Sheffield... And it's taken trade away from other parts of the city centre.

Glad someone agrees with me about the accent!

I was rather sad when we visited in 2008 the year of City of Culture that the museum was only half finished and the pier head area was a building site. Bad timing, I thought. They were only just finishing off Liverpool One then too.
Old 15-03-2012, 15:11   #37
Beacon of light

If I went on a visit, I would take just enough money to buy a drink and a butty(or I might even take my own) and just my camera.......that way the shops don't draw me in.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 15:25   #38
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
If I went on a visit, I would take just enough money to buy a drink and a butty(or I might even take my own) and just my camera.......that way the shops don't draw me in.
I take it you don't have a credit card Margaret?

It's not really that I'm tempted by the shops - it's the idea of shops as a destination that I don't like. Most of them in the big shopping centres are selling things people don't really need - and those folk will be back next week to buy even more non-essentials, then complain about their debts... it seems to be a way of life these days - must-have!

By the way Margaret have you been to Liverpool and if so what are your thoughts on the city?
Old 15-03-2012, 15:31   #39
Beacon of light

I do, but I don't take it when I go out on my photographic expeditions.......I have an emergency 20 pound note in my camera bag, spare batteries and that's it.
I focus on what I have set out to do with my day...take pictures....Ihave been known to forego food in favour of taking pics when time is short(like on the coach trips).
I haven't been to the city to look around...only to a study day at one of the hospitals there.
I'm sure I would enjoy the architecture, and I could put up with accent to do that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 18:47   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Liverpool has always been one of me favourite citys in this country, Have been going since mid 60s, n before that wi parents, Love the scouse sense of humour n friendliness can't beat it, Compare that side of it to Manchester were i lived fer 18 months or so about 11 yrs back n its no contest.
Old 15-03-2012, 19:41   #41
Give, give, give member

Quote:

Liverpool has some of the best preserved Georgian, and early Victorian houses in the country.

We should have bought a load, when we were there as students in the early eighties.

They were going for a pittance back then, and mainly used as student digs.

Go for a bomb now Queen.

(He said in his best scouse accent. Which he loves almost as much as the city itself, and it's people.)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 19:51   #42
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Never really taken to Liverpool - visited it a lot when I was a student in Preston and had a holiday in Southport a few years ago and visited Liverpool on several days for the Tall Ships Race. Still didn't do it for me - sounds patronising but I do think it's partly the accent!

Manchester was always my stamping ground and when we lived in the midlands I got very fond of Birmingham.
In my day, only the dregs went to study at Preston, because they took anyone from their doorstep.

Perhaps that's why you dislike Liverpool, and the Liverpudlian accent.

An unobtainable, glittering prize.

Old 15-03-2012, 19:52   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Liverpool has some of the best preserved Georgian, and early Victorian houses in the country.

We should have bought a load, when we were there as students in the early eighties.

They were going for a pittance back then, and mainly used as student digs.

Go for a bomb now Queen.

(He said in his best scouse accent. Which he loves almost as much as the city itself, and it's people.)

If only...

Think we'd have had to rub our two pennies together to afford them even back then -being poor students

Think I might have told you a bit about a beautiful Grade II Georgian place where i lived back then - when i become rich and famous, if you're lucky I might buy it for you -could just see you living there.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 15-03-2012, 20:03   #44
Give, give, give member

Quote:
If only...

Think we'd have had to rub our two pennies together to afford them even back then -being poor students

Think I might have told you a bit about a beautiful Grade II Georgian place where i lived back then - when i become rich and famous, if you're lucky I might buy it for you -could just see you living there.
Wish Mum and Dad had bought my place on Hope Street.

I had the best student digs in the whole city, wth breathtaking views of the Anglican catherdral.

Though it was very expensive at £17.50 per week, when most of my friends were paying a tenner, to live in shared Georgian houses round the corner.

I always had a taste for luxury.

Old 15-03-2012, 20:06   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Wish Mum and Dad had bought my place on Hope Street.

I had the best student digs in the whole city, wth breathtaking views of the Anglican catherdral.

Though it was very expensive at £17.50 per week, when most of my friends were paying a tenner, to live in shared Georgian houses round the corner.

I always had a taste for luxury.

Born with a silver spoon in your mouth - good taste does come with good breeding, of course.

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..