Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2008, 18:39   #1
Senior Member+

question for those who have to organise/sort out/deal with stocktakes at work..

this is a question to bosses/workers etc regarding stocktakes and I am ****ed off a bit so excuse me if I rant a bit..

I work in the distribution/warehouse sector and we had a stocktake yesterday which I organise, set up, and count with the bosses - the warehouse is about 20,000 square foot with £5m worth of stock there or there abouts it takes me the best part of 5 weeks to organize and get ready..and have done so since I started with the company 4 years ago as its part of my job now.
when I started the loss for that year was £45k , the year after it was down to a loss of £37k, year after that £30k and yesterday was £14k with a percentage of 0.5 so it proves that I do my job pretty well...however my main bosses told me that this wasnt good enough and that it should have been lower ..I told them that they hold about £4/5m worth of stock and to have a loss of £14k is pretty damn good given the amount of breakages that does happen with the goods we handle..I also said that 0.5% is a superb result for any stocktake and they should be happy as most companies would..they said I was wrong and didnt evan say thanks for the work done and end result...even though I have saved them more than £30k in the 4 years I have been there

my question is to those who do stocktakes - would your company be happy with you and a 0.5% result and £14k loss for the year or the equivelant to...

its really ****ed me off to the point of perhaps going to work elsewhere for someone who would appreciate the work, money and results I can achieve/save them...

question/rant over...

and breathe
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-07-2008, 18:58   #2
God Member

Re: question for those who have to organise/sort out/deal with stocktakes at work..

the thing is it wll be the same wherever you go because most bosses are assholes.when they go to their bosses they will be taking the credit.its the way this country runs and it stinks .people who backstab two faced and damn liars always become bosses you now create an image for themselves with the bosses and rip off other peoples ideas so if you have an idea keep it to yourself because these people will take the credit and tell damn lies....this is another reason british industry is down the drain because they are not team players...
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 19:09   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: question for those who have to organise/sort out/deal with stocktakes at work..

i used to be responsible fer stocktakes, monthly @ annual, though probably different to yours mate, as it was calculating volumes as well as the counting of materials. but gotta say 0.5% n i would probably have got a rise on me annual appraisal,was not n easy task in a large chemical plant. i agree with cmonstanley, they sound like real assholes, thing is though most are the same these days n not worth a light, hate to sound pessimistic but never forget- you are a number, ya don't count, sadly thats the way it is.
Old 31-07-2008, 19:12   #4
God Member

Perhaps they really realise you are good and needed to deter you from asking for a decent rise.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 19:18   #5
Senior Member+

I wouldnt get a pay rise - havent had one for 4 years apart from the cost of living...and I would have been happy with a thanks - thats a great result...not even that..
time to get paid what I am worth I think...
Old 31-07-2008, 19:18   #6
God Member

anyway dont let them get you down because you know deep down you did a good job you dont need to justify anything and you wouldnt lower yourself to their standards .if they do this at work they probably do this through life and will end up with nothing seen it all before .....watp
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 19:19   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
watp

indeed
Old 31-07-2008, 19:19   #8

do you know where the £14K went ? Breakage, theft, shrinkage etc ?
Old 31-07-2008, 19:20   #9
Resting in Peace

Are the goods still from the same source GG with continuing cost prices ?

Sounds to me like this company is panicking a little ... ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 19:20   #10
Senior Member+

breakages mostly...
Old 31-07-2008, 19:21   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Are the goods still from the same source GG with continuing cost prices ?

Sounds to me like this company is panicking a little ... ?
couple of different suppliers but mainly the same ones..
Old 31-07-2008, 19:22   #12

Well if your bosses want an off the shelf satisfaction rate for parts, they have to accept that keeping £4m worth of stock is going to cause some breakage. If they want to reduce it you order parts from a 3rd party when needed (unless these are parts you manufacture yourself?)
Old 31-07-2008, 19:23   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
breakages mostly...
then its up to the dip sticks to target that area, not use you as the fall guy. typical *******.
Old 31-07-2008, 19:26   #14
God Member

Greed GG, I know your employers, and know they are greedy and can be arrogant, you would think that 14k was small change, given that they have over 400 display products which I understand come free, I also know that they would pass the losses back to the suppliers where possible, they havnt done bad, and you have done a good job.
Old 31-07-2008, 19:38   #15
God Member

The trick is to get an "acceptable" figure up front that you agree is a reasonable target.

Whilst I don't do stocktakes in my PD I have to have objectives that are

<mind the business bull.... Bingo here>

Challanging
Strategic
Measureable
Achieveable
Realistic
Targetted

or CSMART for short

i.e. I will reduce sincidents to our Q by 20% by end of october through identifying repeat incidents and fixing root cause.

so if I was you I would ask for something like " I will control stock within a 0.75% loss margin" then when you get 0.5 you have exceeded their target and rightfully have evidence for asking for a rise.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..