Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should TV license fee be scrapped?
Yes. 17 94.44%
No. 1 5.56%
Not bothered. 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-08-2015, 11:54   #16

Re: Should the TV License be scrapped?

IMO if your going to not pay for the license and still watch TV as it is broadcast and are naive (or stupid) enough to let the TVLI into your house or sign their documents or sya you have been watching live tv - then a fine is needed as a kick up the bum.

If your going to not pay for it then at least stick to not using it or learn whats what!

I have a license, maybe next year I won't bother as I'll likely only be watching downloaded stuff then, put the cost of the license into paying for a good VPN.
Accyexplorer likes this.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-09-2015, 11:20   #17
Senior Member+

The only snag is that if TV License goes then the BBC will probably have to start having ad breaks and that would spoil BBC 1 - so perhaps keep one channel ad free and have BBC2 with advertisements.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 18:45   #18

Smile Re: Should the TV License be scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
We've got the satellite dish set for the Astra 2d sat, so we get the UK telly channels without the extortionate licence fee. That said though we still pay the "GEZ", the German equivalent even though we don't use their services,
I watch some German TV here in England because I bought a dongle for about £20. And when I visit Germany I take a telly with me and watch some on that.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 16:17   #19
Senior Member+

As usual,there are plenty of folk being charged with having no licence in "before the bench" in the observer...some even being more severally punished than what I'd described as 'real criminals'

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:25   #20
Resting in Peace

once saw this in a paper (some time ago)
man fined for not having TV license £200 fine
then another man charged with assault and littering fined £150

note: its cheaper to ram your bus ticket down someone's throat
westendlass likes this.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 18:07   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
The only snag is that if TV License goes then the BBC will probably have to start having ad breaks and that would spoil BBC 1 - so perhaps keep one channel ad free and have BBC2 with advertisements.
another problem would be that the adverts would be repeated less than teh tv shows

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 15:03   #22

The BBC is already full of adverts, albeit for BBC programs.

This is why we use Sky boxes etc, so we can record stuff and fast fwd through any adverts.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 16:39   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
The BBC is already full of adverts, albeit for BBC programs.

This is why we use Sky boxes etc, so we can record stuff and fast fwd through any adverts.
Yes but this is why BBC relies on TV License fees to maintain ad free zones. Take that away and they'll have to have 4 mins ad breaks in the middle of Eastenders and Springwatch etc.

I pay for TV license - fact is if everybody paid it - then the amount could come down, there are loads people who avoid paying and get away with it which is why they keep it high.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 17:27   #24
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
which is why they keep it high.
No mate, they keep it high so they can give themselves outrageous pay packets & perks.
cashman, odders and Accyexplorer like this.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:03   #25
Full Member+

I think it's wrong that they name and shame people for the 'crime' of not having a TV license. It's only money, not beating someone to a pulp.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:43   #26
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
I think it's wrong that they name and shame people for the 'crime' of not having a TV license. It's only money, not beating someone to a pulp.

What other crimes would you pick and choose as not being important enough to bother reporting? A crime is a crime
Alan Varrechia likes this.
Old 08-09-2015, 15:24   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
A very simple solution - pay for a licence like the majority of others do
cashman likes this.
Old 09-09-2015, 00:19   #28
God Member

Quote:

I pay for TV license - fact is if everybody paid it - then the amount could come down, there are loads people who avoid paying and get away with it which is why they keep it high.

well maybe more people should not pay it and force the bbc either into advertising or bankruptcy

we dont need the bbc anymore if it vanished over night theres plenty of networks more than willing to shovel the same sort of mindless crap onto our screens such as eastenders for free

i am a proud non payer of the tv license and have not paid for one for the past 10 years.I watch very few bbc shows and those i watch i watch legally without a tv licence

even had the knock on the door from their goon squad who couldn't do squat because despite knowing what i am doing is legal i still dont have to answer to them or let them into my property

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 09-09-2015 at 00:22.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:35   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i am a proud non payer of the tv license and have not paid for one for the past 10 years.I watch very few bbc shows and those i watch i watch legally without a tv licence

even had the knock on the door from their goon squad who couldn't do squat because despite knowing what i am doing is legal i still dont have to answer to them or let them into my property
With your use of the term goon squad, are you one of those who posts those abusive You Tube doorstep confrontation videos?
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:00   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
With your use of the term goon squad, are you one of those who posts those abusive You Tube doorstep confrontation videos?

wow thats a big leap

thank god i didnt say nazis you would think i was hitler

although i have seen those videos and well done to the people who send the tv licence men legally away from their property

just beacuse you dont like that i dont have to pay for a tv licence dont start insinuating im a thug and abusive i had my setup examined once by the bbc and they were happy with it i just dont let them keep coming back.If they want to enter my house again they will need to get a warrant and if they manage to do so they will find that i still dont need a tv licence

Last edited by accyman; 09-09-2015 at 12:06.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..