Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-01-2010, 08:38   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: The Old College

Here you are these might bring a few memories back The old Grammer school
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (131.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (99.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (97.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (87.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Image08.jpg (132.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Image14.jpg (95.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Image16.jpg (95.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Image25.jpg (85.0 KB, 17 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-01-2010, 09:32   #32
Resting in Peace

I can remember back in the sixties that the trades section of Accrington college (sandy lane) was closed and transferred to Blackburn, I know at the time we were not to happy about this and talked to the Observer about it, but to no avail, we had to go to Blackburn
Old 19-01-2010, 10:09   #33
Give, give, give member

Looking at the photographs reminds you what a fine, imposing building it was, and it seems such a shame part of the area's heritage was demolished.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 10:16   #34
Give, give, give member

The Grammar School does have an old boys (& girls) website.

Accrington Grammar School Old Boys

Perhaps if anyone on here cares to join, or is already a member, they could mention this thread, and give a link to Accy Web, seeing as there's many mentions of the school, teachers, and ex-pupils.

(I can't join myself, as being a QEGS old boy, I'd risk getting virtually beaten up.)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 11:26   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Where was the Accrington School of Art?

Was in in a separate building of it's own?

It was mentioned in this thread...
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...rose-4071.html

...and I've seen it mentioned in a few recent obituaries, and on some other sites.

Just re-reading Atarah's post in the linked thread, was the whole of the now demolished building, which I thought of as the Grammar School, once the Accrington School of Art & Craft?
I seem to remember that during my time at AGS, part of the Art School was on the top floor of the AGS but the main part was on College St.
I think the Tech College on Sandy Lane opened in '55/56 - in '56 they only did the lead in course for Electrical Engineering and then C & G Elect. For ONC/HNC you had to go to Blackburn or Burnley
Old 19-01-2010, 15:08   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I seem to remember that during my time at AGS, part of the Art School was on the top floor of the AGS but the main part was on College St.
I think the Tech College on Sandy Lane opened in '55/56 - in '56 they only did the lead in course for Electrical Engineering and then C & G Elect. For ONC/HNC you had to go to Blackburn or Burnley
Does anybody know what was the place of learning prior to the opening of Sand Lane college?
Old 19-01-2010, 16:18   #37
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
That's right, it was, we used to go up there and lust after the female students. The light up there was supposed to be brilliant for painting. The Grammar School moved from the building in 1968, up to that soulless concrete block on Queens Road West (now demolished). After that, I think the building served as an all-purpose annexe for the college. Mrs H learnt English and typing there in the mid-80's.
Old 19-01-2010, 18:20   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Does anybody know what was the place of learning prior to the opening of Sand Lane college?
My front room.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 09:57   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
My front room.
Didn't realise you were that old Beni
Old 20-01-2010, 20:11   #40
Senior Member+

The Grammar School left Blackburn trd in 1968 to go up to Moorhead. I don't know what occupied the building after that - certainly the catering dept side of Accrington College of FE(?) However, before that the top floor of the building was used as an art school. It was linked with the one in Portland St/College Street. I have a list of the pupils in the 1930s made out by one of them. They included the world famous Gerard de Rose, who has been the subject of several postings & threads. I hope Garinda knows about him. The thought that it was inituially linked to the textile industry may be correct, as what became the Grammar school started out as a Technical School and the local industrialists were prominent in getting it started.
One very early pupil at the Technical School was the artist Leo Chaney who designed the Johnnie Walker whisky logo. It became the Grammar School in 1921 just after a new headmaster had taken over.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 20:17   #41
Senior Member+

I shall look into Garinda's suggestion. The website is

Welcome from the Headmaster

To fully use it, you have to register. The webmaster turned down 23 applications for registration one day recently. He suspects that they were from people wishing to sell pharmacutical products.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 14:25   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson
He suspects that they were from people wishing to sell pharmacutical products.
Probably QEGS OBs.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 20:19   #43

Most of the Grammar School top floor was occupied by art students from the late 50's to the early 60's. The Grammar school art room (featuring Alan Butcher) was the only classroom on the top floor used by Grammar School students. Some students used to cruise the other rooms in search of nude models etc. If they were caught by Alan Butcher they would be copying out articles from The Listener for days on end.
MoreJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 22:00   #44

I work at the "College of Knowledge" and worked at Eagle Street when it housed the Construction Department.
Only recently whilst we were clearing out some archive material I came across a book called The history of Technical Education in Accrington which was not a published book but seemed to be a labour of love by someone interested in the history.
Don't know how many copies were published but I have one here and will check out the information in it to see if it records anything about the questions asked on here
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 22:05   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

hey anzac, owt on accy tech, actually on union rd ossy would be appreciated.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..