Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 22:22   #46

Re: The Old College

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
hey anzac, owt on accy tech, actually on union rd ossy would be appreciated.
Will have a look for you. Have not read it through but will check.

Strangely enough a few weeks ago I was on duty at the College when the receptionist came to see me regarding the history of the College as she had an enquiry and didn't know who to pass it on to.

It turned out that someone from Canada was enquiring about depositing some archive material that belonged to his father regarding Accrington Technical School and wanted to send it back to where it belonged. We know that the College is the desendant of the original school but advised the person that the material would be better left with the records office in preston and a copy going to accrington library rather than giving it to the college where it would have probably got lost in time.

It resulted in a meeting between myself and this person (Where we took in graveyards as well) and as far as I know the material was in the process of being copied and deposited in the places I suggested.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-09-2010, 22:27   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

ta, will have a sneck in accy library in a couple of weeks, see if owts there.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:19   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
thinking about it after my earlier post I'm thinking this was the place , probably Retlaw or one of the other 'seniors' can put me right .... not sure how much a 'school of art' (ala Slade) it was compared to more of a commercial concept tied into the local textile industry at the time , training talented youngsters being trained in fabric print design, know for a fact that the Devron mill in Gt. Harwood had 'artists' on the staff (the father of one of my friends was an artist there ,sure other textile outfits had similar, wether it was working on the jaquard weave (sp?) designs, know that the 'punch cards/rolls' used for this process changed every so often by market demand . Also the mills had to have "print screen" set-ups desiged for colour and pattern .
Only reason I know this is that a couple of local Gt. Harwood girls about 4 yrs older than me went there , and one later went on to furthur studies at Manchester University .
Logical thinking is that the art dept. closed down when the cotton industry began to die off and general studies type education became more popular .
Wasn't it on top of the Grammar School, my cousin used to go there, she said it was the Art College?
I remember the building across from the Accy Rail station as having a small theatre in it, and I used to go for Tap and Ballet when I was about 8 years old, I think they made it into Condo's or something?
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:22   #49

Has there been anything built were the old Grammar School was?
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:53   #50

Had a quick look at the book last night.
It's called "The development of Technical Education in Accrington written by a Mr A Hand.

It charts the growth of the schools etc from the middle of the 1800's up to about 1950. It does mention the school of art etc on Blackburn Road and the Technical School but don't know what information you are after so it may not be of use to you.

I think the best thing for me to do is to donate this book to Accrington Library (Don't know if there are more copies out there) and then people can go along and view it there.

Will take it down on Monday and have a word with them to see if they want it.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:59   #51
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaner3 View Post
Has there been anything built were the old Grammar School was?
Flats.

blackburn road accrington - Google Maps

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..