Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should capital punishment be reintroduced into modern day britain?
Yes 20 54.05%
Maybe 2 5.41%
No 13 35.14%
Unsure 0 0%
More evidence needed 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2010, 03:16   #31
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Views on capital punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
......I've already expressed my views on this subject in other threads, so, I'll just vote.
Quote:
If bleeding heart liberals, an empty generalization if ever I heard one, are those who believe that innocent people should not suffer life imprisonment or the death penalty, count me in. David Milgaard spent 23 years in Kingston Pen for a murder he didn't commit ... Guy Paul Morin, 8 years for the rape and murder of a six-year-old girl, a crime he didn't commit .... one can go on. And have any of the hang 'em high crew thought about the other consequences of convicting the wrong person: for starters, while they are cheering the death of the one convicted, the real killer is still on the loose, ready to kill again.
Quote:
Tend to agree ... esp. on the deterrent bit. If the death penalty were a deterrent, then shouldn't the murder rate in the US be real low, instead of through the roof When the leading cause of death among young black males in the US is homicide, then some serious questions need to be addressed. And those questions have nothing to do with the death penalty. Maybe we should be asking why the guys who fill the jails, in all western countries, and the electric chairs in the US all seem to be mostly poor?

Did you forget you were just voting?
Old 31-07-2010, 04:42   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Did you forget you were just voting?
Yeah But the question of capital punishment is high on my "this really bugs me list". I just can't see why, in a civilised socity (we can leave the yanks out of this, they are, esp. in the south and parts of the midwest, an Old Testement society), one can sanction the death penalty. In the UK and Canada, we are free. Our freedoms, and freedom in general, was dearly bought, as many on AccyWeb remember. The ultimate punishment in our societies should be the revocation of membership in a free society, in other words, incarceration.

I don't think that many, or any, on AccyWeb would like to return to the days when a loving relationship between people of the same sex was illegal, and when an abortion was not a safe medical procedure, but dicing with death. So why should we return to the days when we killed people in order to demonstrate that killing people is wrong

And now, I will shut up
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 08:53   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yeah But the question of capital punishment is high on my "this really bugs me list". I just can't see why, in a civilised socity (we can leave the yanks out of this, they are, esp. in the south and parts of the midwest, an Old Testement society), one can sanction the death penalty. In the UK and Canada, we are free. Our freedoms, and freedom in general, was dearly bought, as many on AccyWeb remember. The ultimate punishment in our societies should be the revocation of membership in a free society, in other words, incarceration.

I don't think that many, or any, on AccyWeb would like to return to the days when a loving relationship between people of the same sex was illegal, and when an abortion was not a safe medical procedure, but dicing with death. So why should we return to the days when we killed people in order to demonstrate that killing people is wrong

And now, I will shut up
Phew thank god for that
Old 31-07-2010, 10:25   #34
Senior Member+

capital punishment should never be reinstated.

But it amazes me that some Christians are against capital punishment. If it wasn't for capital punishment we wouldn't have Easter (bill hicks quote) hehe
Old 31-07-2010, 19:13   #35
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

If it can be proven unequivocally that the person is guilty of a murder or a criminal offence so violent or inhuman, the Death sentence should be administered & sooner rather than later. No appeals, sitting around in cells interminably, the sentence should be effected & executed within 2 weeks. (My personal opinion)
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 20:07   #36

Troy Davis : Finality over Fairness

just thought I would put this one in if anyone wants to read it
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 20:26   #37
God Member

I got a book from Accy Library once that had statistics that proved that capital punishment didn't affect crime rate statistics in this country.

To be honest I think it all comes down to the way the system is viewed, particularly with respect to the police. When I was in China I barely saw any police but there was no street crime to be seen and everything was very orderly. The threat of what was NOT seen was more terrifying to people. The prisons are in secluded places and people are so keen on upholding certain standards that society self-disciplines itself and everyone in it. The system is harsh when it needs to be, but for the most part the people are controlling the way the system works at the bottom end. That was my observation of the system anyway. Obviously there is a lot of unseen corruption but generally that is the case anywhere anyway.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 20:28   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
What i don't understand about the poll is the option "More Evidence Needed" if D.N.A. aint bang to rights what else can be? would love the person who voted that option to explain.

don't know who voted for it first cashy but i did vote for that too, i know they didn't have d.n.a profiling when capital punishment was last used but would it be possible for something to go wrong with evidence? someone getting it mixed up etc...if they came up with something to go alongside d.n.a to make it foolproof then yes i think they should bring it back

thats just my opinion on it though
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 20:28   #39
Senior Member+

wow, How about we just send them to room101

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
If it can be proven unequivocally that the person is guilty of a murder or a criminal offence so violent or inhuman, the Death sentence should be administered & sooner rather than later. No appeals, sitting around in cells interminably, the sentence should be effected & executed within 2 weeks. (My personal opinion)
Old 31-07-2010, 20:33   #40
God Member

DNA evidence can be planted in the same way that drugs can be planted, to ensure a conviction. If it's possible, it happens. I used to have complete confidence in our police force, but they are not superhuman, and are corruptable.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 20:34   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
don't know who voted for it first cashy but i did vote for that too, i know they didn't have d.n.a profiling when capital punishment was last used but would it be possible for something to go wrong with evidence? someone getting it mixed up etc...if they came up with something to go alongside d.n.a to make it foolproof then yes i think they should bring it back

thats just my opinion on it though
Maybe the poll option means more evidence needed to prove the effectiveness of its use.

Obviously it has 100% success in the offender, but all punishment is about deterrence to others as well as just dealing with the individual who originally committed the crime.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 20:46   #42
God Member

thats quite possible Michelle....but i still stick to what i said, i wanted to study criminology when i left school but things went bad for me after an unfortunate event when i was 15, i love reading about criminal profiling and getting in the minds of criminals, it fascinates me

ok that was off thread a little but i do think something else is needed if they where to bring it back
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 21:05   #43
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
wow, How about we just send them to room101
If by that you mean string 'em up ? bring it on.

Yes my approach may seem draconian, but it sure as hell saves a lot of cost & upset in the long term. If it happened to you & yours would you be so willing to let them get away with it ?
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 21:16   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

ok set how many lives are lost by reoffending murderers when released, against how many mistakes are likely these days, i know which side i'm on, unless life means life, n we all know our ken wants less in prisons, top em simple as.
Old 31-07-2010, 22:10   #45
Senior Member+

I don't agree with the death penalty....

But hypocritically i think criminals like pedophiles and mass murderers should have their brains dissected to study to find out what defect in the brain causes their behavior.

you seen/read 1984? I find it quite a scary novel. What they do to peoples minds in room 101 is probably worse than death

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
If by that you mean string 'em up ? bring it on.

Yes my approach may seem draconian, but it sure as hell saves a lot of cost & upset in the long term. If it happened to you & yours would you be so willing to let them get away with it ?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..