Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should capital punishment be reintroduced into modern day britain?
Yes 20 54.05%
Maybe 2 5.41%
No 13 35.14%
Unsure 0 0%
More evidence needed 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2010, 22:50   #46
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Views on capital punishment

[quote=Restless;832941]I don't agree with the death penalty....

But hypocritically i think criminals like pedophiles and mass murderers should have their brains dissected to study to find out what defect in the brain causes their behavior. [/quo

As to your statement about dissection, when exactly would you do this ? When they are dead ? So how would their death come about ? Are you going to wait 40-50 years to get your answers ? Or are you suggesting vivisection ? If that is the case then I would deem that far more barbaric than a straight forward hanging.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-07-2010, 23:15   #47
Senior Member+

hmm good question. Perhaps for the vivisection. Though if it is proven that its a brain defect, they are somewhat victims too, oh what a headache. Pun intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I don't agree with the death penalty....

But hypocritically i think criminals like pedophiles and mass murderers should have their brains dissected to study to find out what defect in the brain causes their behavior.
As to your statement about dissection, when exactly would you do this ? When they are dead ? So how would their death come about ? Are you going to wait 40-50 years to get your answers ? Or are you suggesting vivisection ? If that is the case then I would deem that far more barbaric than a straight forward hanging.
Old 01-08-2010, 17:37   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
ok set how many lives are lost by reoffending murderers when released, against how many mistakes are likely these days, i know which side i'm on, unless life means life, n we all know our ken wants less in prisons, top em simple as.
Quite agree - I voted yes simply because I beleive in "An eye for an eye etc".
Prisoners have more amenities than a lot of our Senior Citizens can afford, so let us get rid of them, hanging, firing squad, lethal injection, electric chair - any quick deprivation of life as long as the evidence is irrefutable.
What would be the opinion of the "do-gooders" if it was a member of their family or a close friend that had been murdered or raped
Old 01-08-2010, 18:49   #49

What would be the opinion of if the shoe was on the other foot and it was one of your family due to be executed?

If it was one of my family, I cannot begin to imagine how that might feel
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 19:07   #50
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikine View Post
What would be the opinion of if the shoe was on the other foot and it was one of your family due to be executed?

If it was one of my family, I cannot begin to imagine how that might feel
Well we often have cases that turn out the wife/mother or some other relative not only suspected but turned a blind eye to this kind of thing, I would hope that no matter what the punishment was going to be, You, I or any other would be brave enough to stop such horror being caused, to innocent beings no matter how much heartache we may suffer ourselves.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 19:30   #51
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
If it can be proven unequivocally that the person is guilty of a murder or a criminal offence so violent or inhuman, the Death sentence should be administered

That is why I quantified my statement with the above comment in a previous post.
Old 01-08-2010, 20:10   #52
God Member

Quote:
ok set how many lives are lost by reoffending murderers when released, against how many mistakes are likely these days, i know which side i'm on, unless life means life, n we all know our ken wants less in prisons, top em simple as.
Yes.. sentenced to life for murder should mean life.
Why was the death penalty abolished in the first place?.. it's not because all of a sudden Britian was full of "do gooding liberals"..it's because some people were sent to the gallows that should not have been..I don't agree that any referendum would be a walk over for the pro vote.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 20:49   #53
Senior Member+

^ because it's wrong to kill another human being. Simple as that... not to mention countless innocents being hanged...
Old 01-08-2010, 21:10   #54
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
^ because it's wrong to kill another human being. Simple as that... not to mention countless innocents being hanged...
Far as i'm concerned Humans do not carry out inhuman acts. simple as.
Old 01-08-2010, 23:23   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
far as i'm concerned humans do not carry out inhuman acts. Simple as.
:d
Old 02-08-2010, 04:07   #56
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Why was the death penalty abolished in the first place?
I think your answer lies here :-

In conclusion, it might be said that actual or perceived mal-administration of the reprieve system by the Home Office, a changing attitude in society and a concerted campaign by the media and liberal pressure groups were the principal reasons for the abolition of the death penalty in Britain. It is interesting to note that there was never a referendum held to give the public a democratic say on the matter!

This is the last chapter in an article pertaining to your question. For the full article look at :- abolish
Old 02-08-2010, 15:53   #57

Quote:
Far as i'm concerned Humans do not carry out inhuman acts. simple as.
So the man that pulls the trap door is not human?
Surely murder is murder whichever side of the law it is commited on.

I was once a witness in a trial in the High Court in London.I told nothing but the truth and the jury didn't believe a word I said!!!! If that had been a murder case I dread to think of the outcome. An earlier post said we should get rid of juries and I agree with that. The whole system needs reviewing.
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 16:17   #58
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
If it can be proven unequivocally that the person is guilty of a murder or a criminal offence so violent or inhuman, the Death sentence should be administered

That is why I quantified my statement with the above comment in a previous post.
exactly......too many do gooders,,,,,,when hanging was in force,,you read about murders in (TRUE DETECTIVE),,,and American such like magazines,,,,now nodody bats an eye.... lifes cheap..
Old 02-08-2010, 18:45   #59
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
So the man that pulls the trap door is not human
He is a Human being, an Executioner, gainfully & Lawfully employed by the State to carry out their rulings. The fact that that ruling is execution, may not sit well with you & others but it is something the State deemed necessary at certain points in its history.

Execution -To put to death, especially by carrying out a lawful sentence.
Old 02-08-2010, 19:39   #60
Senior Member+

My qualification was Marksman with a number of weapons. Or do it as the Thais do - a machine gun in fixed position and a number of people think they have pulled the trigger. Providing the salary is adequate, I may well be at the front of the long list of vbolunteers.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..