Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 15:21   #1
Senior Member+

Vultures @ Morrisons

[Rant]

Anybody been to Morrisons around an hour before closing time?

Around 3pm they start reducing the perishable stuff. They reduce quite a lot of stuff. One of the main attractions is the cooked chicken.

There was an oldish guy standing by the chicken like he was on guard at Buckingham Palace. We was in there for around 20 minutes doing our shopping and that guy was stood there the whole time. Towards the end there was around 10 people hanging around that chicken.

I heard the guy that works there say to a co worker "It is always the same people. They are here everyday. They can wait all they want." He was deliberately taking his time. It wouldn't surprise me if he made them wait till 3.55pm.

What really got me was this guy. He reached for this packet of 2 apple pies and a woman got there first. There was a dejected look on his face. He was gutted. I looked to his hands and he had 2 packets of the pies already!!

That is when I said to my house mate that they reminded me of vultures. He told me about a time he was there and this guy picked up 5 lots of reduced chicken. 5 Full chickens!

[/rant]
Old 12-08-2012, 15:47   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Vultures @ Morrisons

Tesco by the railway station is the same.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 16:03   #3

I guess you can't blame people if money is tight and there are good reductions on food.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 16:27   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Its been happening fer years, before the recession!, used to see it regular at the Tesco were the old Dog Track used to be in Blackburn. was money tight then,?
Old 12-08-2012, 18:59   #5
God Member

Oh how i cried with laughter when reading this, some people in Morrisons in Blackburn stand trolley to trolley 'guarding' the cheap section at that time of the day, trollies in the way so no one else can get to the reduced stuff, i always tell them to move, which usually gets a smile out of the other people who are waiting to see whats been reduced
Old 12-08-2012, 21:04   #6

My daughter works in the bakery in Asda and has to get security when she's marking stuff down on Sundays because of the throng of people surrounding her.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 21:08   #7
Resting In Peace

Reminds me of when we used to do car boot sales years ago. We had a Bramley apple tree in the garden which produced the most amazng apples which we used to sell at 10p each. As soon as we arrived at the site the car would be surrounded by a throng of people all eager to be the first to get their hands on the loot before we had even started to unload the car.
Old 12-08-2012, 21:36   #8
Resting In Peace

At one time in the late nineties when my partner was working for himself it was touch and go on a Saturday whether the bank would let us have any money for food and we were often to be found on the market at 5pm picking through the leftover fruit and veg to see if there as anything edible for ourselves and our animals - goats and chickens.

Goats usually did best with boxes of outside leaves from cabbages and caulis. They also used to like the leftover apples after they had been through our friend's cider press - though doling them out would often knock my head off from the fumes!
Old 14-08-2012, 08:59   #9

There is one particular woman in Accrington and first she goes to Asda as they reduce earlier in the day and she grabs everything and anything then I have seen her at the small tesco petrol station waiting for the staff to reduce things and again she just grabs everything pushes others out the way and fills her basket and I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw the same women in morrisons and the large tesco too and yes you guessed it she was again grabbing everything that was reduced!!! She is a very rude lady too and doesn't let anyone else near the stuff I just think its funny though she looks a right tramp
kelsilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 09:13   #10
Senior Member+

sorry but I do not consider these items a bargain price, I have looked at these reduced items in the past and considered the reduction in price for produce that is deemed unfit for human consumption at the end of that days business, is not a bargain
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 09:18   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
sorry but I do not consider these items a bargain price, I have looked at these reduced items in the past and considered the reduction in price for produce that is deemed unfit for human consumption at the end of that days business, is not a bargain
Nowt to be sorry about, i never go near em.
Old 15-08-2012, 10:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by accybeme View Post
These items are fit for human consumption. They are reduced in price because they are getting close to their "use by" or "best before" dates but have not exceeded them yet.

Last edited by Michael1954; 15-08-2012 at 10:17.
Old 15-08-2012, 10:15   #13
God Member

Much of the stuff they struggle to sell isn't fit for consumption before the sell by date.

(More people are now reading the ingredients labels before buying)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 10:22   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Much of the stuff they struggle to sell isn't fit for consumption before the sell by date.

(More people are now reading the ingredients labels before buying)
Well I had some reduced kippers the other day and they were delicious.
Old 15-08-2012, 10:59   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Well I had some reduced kippers the other day and they were delicious.
Were they really naturally smoked or were they flavoured and coloured by Brown FK? or did you even bother to look at the label?

EFSA - Opinion of the Scientific Committee/Scientific Panel: Re-evaluation of Brown FK (E 154) as a food additive

"Adverse effects seen after short-term or prolonged exposure to Brown FK in rats and/or mice include damage to cardiac (and to a minor extent skeletal) muscle fibres, characterised by vacuolar myopathy, degenerative lesions including myocardial fibrosis, necrosis and pigment deposition. Other changes induced by Brown FK include occasional hydropic degeneration of the kidney, fatty change of the liver, and increases in organ weight (spleen, liver, heart, testes and thyroid)."

Kippers

"Colouring

There is a small demand for undyed kippers, but these are rather pale in colour after smoking. Most consumers prefer a rich mahogany colour which cannot be achieved by smoking without losing a lot of weight and producing an overdried product, so that most kippers for the British market are dyed in the brine bath.

The dyes used are mostly water-soluble coal tar derivatives, which the processor buys in powder form; a dye is dissolved in water and added to the brine bath until the dipped fish are judged by eye to be of the required colour. The dye mixture used almost universally at present for home kipper production is known as brown FK, but mixtures of other permitted dyes are available that give the desired colour. It would be possible to control the concentration of dye to a specific level in the finished product, at least with continuous briners, by metering the amount of dye added to the bath."

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..