Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 10:41   #1366
God Member

Re: weather??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
Hate it, hate it, hate it!!!
Same here, can't wait to see the back of it
Old 02-12-2008, 11:27   #1367
Resting in Peace

Quote:

love it love it love it ...... find your inner child and enjoy
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:55   #1368
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
love it love it love it ...... find your inner child and enjoy
When I get to Blackburn Royal later I will convey your thoughts to all the pensioners with broken limbs.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 13:43   #1369

Quote:
I agree with you too, can't stand the stuff

Gail xxxx

http://www.hyndburnramblers.co.uk/
'erindoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 15:08   #1370

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
Very fetching sara, I am expecting my office staff to arrive in the usual heels, in which she cant walk in the dry!
Was going to put heels on when i get there, but didn't bother kept boots on all day, but did take my trousers out of my socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
stuff that!!! i'm to worried im guna fall to care about how i look!
My thoughts exactly. Dress for comfort (and safety) first.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:52   #1371
God Member

Well, it's a balmy -23c here ... but there is still a little wind, not the 60km/h it was earlier, but still enough to make it seem a lot colder. We had a heavy snowfall last nite, but the city has all the main streets and most of the burbs all plowed out, and the sidewalk plows and sanders are hard at work. And here I sit in my igloo, in front of a roaring fire, sipping on Guiness with fireball shooters, smoking fine Canadian weed, and munching on perogies smothered in HP sauce ... life could be worse
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:57   #1372
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: weather??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Well, it's a balmy -23c here ... but there is still a little wind, not the 60km/h it was earlier, but still enough to make it seem a lot colder. We had a heavy snowfall last nite, but the city has all the main streets and most of the burbs all plowed out, and the sidewalk plows and sanders are hard at work. And here I sit in my igloo, in front of a roaring fire, sipping on Guiness with fireball shooters, smoking fine Canadian weed, and munching on perogies smothered in HP sauce ... life could be worse
Maybe you would consider posting a picture of your snow laden locale to put our miserable few centimetres that lasts for no more than a day or two into some sort of perspective.

These “oh no! Two snow flakes – the world is doomed” whinging brigade would be put in their place.
Old 08-12-2008, 18:41   #1373
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Maybe you would consider posting a picture of your snow laden locale to put our miserable few centimetres that lasts for no more than a day or two into some sort of perspective.

These “oh no! Two snow flakes – the world is doomed” whinging brigade would be put in their place.
Maybe I should do that ... but I will wait untill we have had another major storm ... pictures of the fresh stuff, before the plows have got at it are so much better ... I think we have a different attitude to snow and cold. We know it's coming; so most of us just decide to get out and enjoy it .... if one looks only at the negative aspects of winter, one can easily get the winter blues ... but there are many winter activities to enjoy; all one has to do is bundle up and get out there: skate, ski, snowshoe, snowboard, do some ice fishing, winter camping maybe or .... just curl up in front of a nice fire. And then there is hockey ... mayhem on ice.

Just crossed my mind that Canada came of age in a snowstorm: April 9, 1917, the Germans on Vimy Ridge woke up to Gen. Andy McNaughten's creeping barage and thousands of po'd Canadians charging out of a snowstorm to kick their asses out of trenches they had held since 1914. Many historian argue that it was this action, rather than the British North America Act of 1867, that demonstrated Canada's independent status.

Here endeth the Canadian history lesson for the day
Old 08-12-2008, 19:24   #1374
Yank in King Art's Court!

We're ranging from -2C to -9C down this way. The woodstove is fully firing and continue to haul many truckloads. I do hope it snows but now there calling for a rainy warm-up.

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 19:26   #1375
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
We're ranging from -2C to -9C down this way. The woodstove is fully firing and continue to haul many truckloads. I do hope it snows but now there calling for a rainy warm-up.
Sounds great ... nothing like a little cold weather to make you appreciate the joys of a woodstove or an open fire
Old 09-12-2008, 09:14   #1376
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Sounds great ... nothing like a little cold weather to make you appreciate the joys of a woodstove or an open fire
What about the Carbon Emissions Eric
Old 09-12-2008, 18:59   #1377
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
What about the Carbon Emissions Eric
We get those from the coal fired generating plants in Ohio
Old 09-12-2008, 21:37   #1378
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: weather??

Quote:
We get those from the coal fired generating plants in Ohio
And you also get them from wood burning stoves.

The wood that you burn used to be a tree and trees absorb CO2. Then when the wood is burned the CO2 is released back into the atmosphere.

Or put another way the wood that you burn is immature (by a few million years) coal or oil.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:48   #1379
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
And you also get them from wood burning stoves.

The wood that you burn used to be a tree and trees absorb CO2. Then when the wood is burned the CO2 is released back into the atmosphere.

Or put another way the wood that you burn is immature (by a few million years) coal or oil.
This I'm aware of .... however, most of the air pollution we have in Canada comes borne on the SW winds from the good ole US of A .... when the winds come from the north or the north west ... good clean Canadian air .... we have clear skies and great air quality. And, for the romantically inclined, star-filled skies at night
Old 10-12-2008, 21:10   #1380
God Member

If you want to see a little of how we take to winter, visit cityofkingston.ca/residents ... and you will see a webcam scene of the rink behind City Hall, and one of the many decorated trees in the city ...

(Sorry, tried to put in a link, but it didn't work).

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..