Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2008, 21:18   #1
God Member

Who Would Get Your Money???

I have just watched a programme that I taped the other night about the worlds richest people. A lot of them donate money to help people less fortunate than themselves.
Quite a few from Britian have given money to places such as Romania and Africa ans that is their perogative but personally think we have enough deserving causes in this country.
Was just wondering if you had loads of spare money would you donate to deserving causes here or would your money go to other countries???
Old 27-04-2008, 21:30   #2
I am Banned

Re: Who Would Get Your Money???

mm a quick list
use it to fund initiatives to keep teenagers off streets if poss - as that would improve a lot of lives -not just the teenagers
i would set up akita rescue centres as they are a breed that people think are cute but are very hard to train - battersy even has it's own department for them as they havejust been abandoned more than any other breed
i would set up availabilty for small buisness initiatives
fund some art projects
advice drop in for new mums whether 13 or 30 - after all they dont come with a book eh?
better childrens homes- or something else so that there werent as many
use some of my money to bribe the prime minister to start an initiative that paid mums or dads to stay at home to look after the children until old enough for nursery school or school if that is what they wanted to do
i am sure that there are many more worthy causes but just off the top of my head
and then i would go to the job centre because i d have no money left lol
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 21:40   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

No contest fer me, if i had loads of dosh to leave- McMillan nurses, simple as that.
Old 27-04-2008, 21:43   #4

Cancer research and Boxer rescue would get my money
Polly_45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 21:47   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keetah992000 View Post
start an initiative that paid mums or dads to stay at home to look after the children until old enough for nursery school or school if that is what they wanted to do
Apparently that's already been sorted via the benefit system.

Though it is not funded by a charitable trust...just the hard working saps who actually go to work all their lives and pay their income tax, thus enabling those workshy parents to stay at home with their offspring.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 21:59   #6
Give, give, give member

Hospices which provide invaluable care for terminally ill patients and their families, and which recieve very little state funding, with many only managing to carry on their work because of charitable donations, are a worthy cause in my opinion.

Old 27-04-2008, 22:02   #7
God Member

As I thought the general feeling is we have enough worthy causes here. Don't get me wrong what people do with their money is their business but feel that enough is given to the poor countries myself.
Old 27-04-2008, 22:10   #8

I`d give mine to the groups of people that cant look out for themselves too well, ie kids, aged and disabled. I find it disgusting that you work all your life (well some people do), pay all your taxes and abide by the law, and then after a certain age get treated by certain members of society like an easy target.I always thought you respected your elders ?

Oh and as for "Though it is not funded by a charitable trust...just the hard working saps who actually go to work all their lives and pay their income tax, thus enabling those workshy parents to stay at home with their offspring." from Garinda, my wife is a stay at home mum, as the little fella is now 2 1/2. We get (I think) £17 a week child benefit only and I do go to work. We actually waited until we could "afford" a child before having one so that she could stay at home and invest the time and energy.
banjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 22:11   #9

I would give to charitable causes in this country Bernadette.

No matter how well-heeled I might be, I doubt I would ever have enough cash left over to send abroad if attempting to take care of our own citizens, it’s an on-going thing.

Besides, charity begins at home.
Old 27-04-2008, 22:14   #10
Senior Member+

no matter who you give your money 2 its never enough to fix everything

my money would go to help abused children, homeless families (obviously), cancer research (becuse of my grandma) and heart foundation (because of my grandad)

all chariities that are close to my heart (no pun intended)

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 22:16   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I would give to charitable causes in this country Bernadette.

No matter how well-heeled I might be, I doubt I would ever have enough cash left over to send abroad if attempting to take care of our own citizens, it’s an on-going thing.

Besides, charity begins at home.
That was the thing that struck me, to these people a million is like nothing but we have more than enough worthy causes here IMHO. I agree entirely charity should begin at home.
Old 27-04-2008, 22:21   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoman View Post
I`d give mine to the groups of people that cant look out for themselves too well, ie kids, aged and disabled. I find it disgusting that you work all your life (well some people do), pay all your taxes and abide by the law, and then after a certain age get treated by certain members of society like an easy target.I always thought you respected your elders ?

Oh and as for "Though it is not funded by a charitable trust...just the hard working saps who actually go to work all their lives and pay their income tax, thus enabling those workshy parents to stay at home with their offspring." from Garinda, my wife is a stay at home mum, as the little fella is now 2 1/2. We get (I think) £17 a week child benefit only and I do go to work. We actually waited until we could "afford" a child before having one so that she could stay at home and invest the time and energy.
I wasn't having a go at stay at home mums, just the ludicrous suggestion that it needs both parents to stay at home until the child is four and starts school. With that suggestion if they had a child every three years they'd never have to work.

But wait, that's happening now. A whole generation are chosing a life on benefits as a full time career.

Sadly if every single person in the land decided to do that there'd be no money to pay them, because no one would be paying income tax, and which allows them to 'chose' to stay at home.

I guess my opinion is formed because I come from a background where my grandmother, widowed at twenty when her husband was killed in Normandy, was forced to find childcare for my mother while she herself worked in the mill, or they would have gone hungry. She, and millions of other hardworking Britains who made this country what it is, never had the luxury of chosing to stay at home, funded by the tax of others.

Old 27-04-2008, 22:23   #13
Give, give, give member

If charity really did begin at home you'd never give anything away...as it would stay in the home.

Old 27-04-2008, 22:24   #14
Senior Member+

As a single parent that finished her education after having a child....I think the money would be better spent on training up single mums so that they can support their children...

I mean instead of paying parents that already have some income coming into the house to stay at home we should help the ones that have no choice......

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012

Last edited by emamum; 27-04-2008 at 22:26.
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 22:31   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
As a single parent that finished her education after having a child....I think the money would be better spent on training up single mums so that they can support their children...

I mean instead of paying parents that already have some income coming into the house to stay at home we should help the ones that have no choice......
A very good idea Emma.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..