Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-12-2007, 16:32   #1
Passed away 25-11-09

Why Do I Get Flu at Christmas?

So I'm lucky this year, I've got time to get better for the 24th. Last year I got it on that date and was still suffering at New Year.

I had my flu jab in October and I was fine but, last week, I got a slight cold and that was that. Within 2 days I had no appetite, no strength and all I could do was sleep. I can just about get up and down the stairs and I feel dreadful. Has anyone any idea why? Is there a flu bug going round?
Accrington Web
Old 14-12-2007, 16:34   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Why Do I Get Flu at Christmas?

must be a different strain to the one you were immunised against....
there is a bug going round, alot of the children at my lads school have had it, its not a nice one.. temperature, sickness, diorrhea, head ache and blocked noses etc, we had it other week...

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 16:39   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

you got my sympathy westender, i'm as rough as rats,snotting n sneezing, we were supposed to be going to the rocknroll tonight,but thats buggared hope yer ok for xmas. as to why you get it ? BAD LUCK.
Old 14-12-2007, 16:53   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
you got my sympathy westender, i'm as rough as rats,snotting n sneezing, we were supposed to be going to the rocknroll tonight,but thats buggared hope yer ok for xmas. as to why you get it ? BAD LUCK.
Are you still going to the meet tomorrow?

so we can all get it

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 17:04   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Aaah , that's a shame Cashy, was looking forward to having a chat with you and Paris tonight. Even a rock n roll dance .. providing ya' had the right pull ..

Sincerely hope you and Westender feel better soon xx
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 17:07   #6
God Member

Quote:
Ever cross your mind that it might not be flu, but just the natural process of aging
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 17:22   #7
God Member

Sorry to hear you aren't well Westender and Cashman too. Hope you both manage to shake it off before Christmas.
Old 14-12-2007, 19:29   #8
God Member

There are plenty of bugs going around at the minute, as I work in many different homes, and have kids at school, I get the lot, (never used to), had the sickness one, followed by flu (suspect they were linked), and now getting over a cold, the family and co workers have all suffered in varying degrees, partner says it man flu, I say it woman flu, with knobs on! lol
Old 14-12-2007, 19:31   #9
Senior Member+

you can die from man flu!!

seems like it sometimes

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 19:34   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
you can die from man flu!!

seems like it sometimes
Thanks emm! I hope not, though I have seriously felt like it a few times! I think it may have got me while my immune system down following an operation, I have had it far worse than most. poor me haha.
Old 14-12-2007, 23:10   #11
white rabbits

ive just got rid of two cold sores and now theres another one coming and it feels inormous..i hope its gone for xmas...
Old 15-12-2007, 08:18   #12
Resident Waffler

I started with a cold a couple of weeks ago, passed it round the family and now I seem to have got it back again !

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 19:18   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I started with a cold a couple of weeks ago, passed it round the family and now I seem to have got it back again !
Sounds like the gift that keeps on giving
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 15:49   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
So I'm lucky this year, I've got time to get better for the 24th. Last year I got it on that date and was still suffering at New Year.

I had my flu jab in October and I was fine but, last week, I got a slight cold and that was that. Within 2 days I had no appetite, no strength and all I could do was sleep. I can just about get up and down the stairs and I feel dreadful. Has anyone any idea why? Is there a flu bug going round?
I get it too. I have been ill for the past few days, and I've had enough today and wrapped myself up in thick blankets in bed and sweat it all out of me. I know its uncomfortable to lie there and sweat rather than kicking the covers off, but hopefully you'll get better much quicker.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 18:49   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I get it too. I have been ill for the past few days, and I've had enough today and wrapped myself up in thick blankets in bed and sweat it all out of me. I know its uncomfortable to lie there and sweat rather than kicking the covers off, but hopefully you'll get better much quicker.
Can't understand how you sweat it out of you Blazey ?? .. if you have a temperature, you have to strip down to bring down the temperature, and shiver .. hard at first, but does work at the end of the day... get well soon anyway . x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..