Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 21:32   #1
God Member

Wireless House Alarm

Anybody got one and are they any good ? Thinking of getting one for the house we are moving to. Don't want to get hard wired fitted because it's a rented house and we may not be in it very long.

Also any ideas who builds moats and fits machine guns attached to trip wire
Old 07-11-2006, 21:46   #2
I am Banned

Re: Wireless House Alarm

My dad has one actually enquired a bit back on price on re fitting old one here i still havent got round to getting done & looking at home base & argos they were quite cheap - just i got no one to install one for me & to re install my wired one thats in a cupboard well sheesh the suggestions of quote i got was worth more than the alarm itself
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 23:10   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I have fitted a few of them but still prefer wired ones, I had fitted many wired ones. I think having to change the batteries is a pain and the sensors ( PIR shock sensor, door contacts etc ) are always a bit on the big and numb side. You still have to wire the sounder to to a power supply. Yes you can get solar powered ones but they are really naff, this is England don't forget.

I suppose a short answer would be - if it is a good quality one then yes they are ok but, I would never fit one in my own home. They are more expensive as well.
Old 09-11-2006, 18:12   #4

Yep Dave - as Mel says - fitted one quite easily and it works well - its a Yale model - nice yellow box with YALE on - looks good and offputting to "Burgular Bill" -

only wiring is from control box to mains - and from control box to siren box - prob may come if you need to drill thro' wall - old terraced houses are thick - but have long drill bit if you want to borrow - just let Mel know
mickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 18:24   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
to re install my wired one thats in a cupboard well sheesh the suggestions of quote i got was worth more than the alarm itself
The installation is always more money than the actual alarm itself. The bits to an alarm system are cheap.
Old 09-11-2006, 18:52   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmc
Yep Dave - as Mel says - fitted one quite easily and it works well - its a Yale model - nice yellow box with YALE on - looks good and offputting to "Burgular Bill" -

only wiring is from control box to mains - and from control box to siren box - prob may come if you need to drill thro' wall - old terraced houses are thick - but have long drill bit if you want to borrow - just let Mel know
Cheers, will shout when I'm ready for you to fit it
Old 09-11-2006, 18:56   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave
Cheers, will shout when I'm ready for you to fit it
Hey wait in line! daughter comes 1st

Last edited by accymel; 09-11-2006 at 19:01.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 19:44   #8
Resting in peace

Put a 'wired' system in, then forget about it, or you'll forever be inserting new batteries, the wireless system is no use to the consumer, it's easy to install so that is why the cowboys recomend them.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 16:02   #9

methinks the guy is an installer !!!! - good quality batteries don't run out quickly at all - the ones in my system (and yes I do test all sensors regularly ) last more than 1 year - but as a matter of routine now, I replace all the batteries in the system on the first saturday in August every year

As said previously good quality make - Yale
mickmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 17:41   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Wireless House Alarm

A wireless house alarm is called a very large dog.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..