Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 19:46   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Yesterdays elections

Eric, in the last general election I didn't vote..or perhaps to be more precise I spoiled my paper. I did this because, in all conscience, there wasn't anyone I felt reflected my core values.
I wasn't too idle to go to the polling station...I had appraised myself of the various candidates who were up for election.......and found them all wanting.
I have many political discussions with my daughter - who tried her very best to get me to vote for someone rather than spoil my paper.
I felt that my vote would count for nothing, it would make no difference.

I have no political affiliation and support no party. At each election I try to weigh the candidates against my own values. I cannot see me putting a cross against any of them any time soon. But I might write 'none of the above'.
We need some major changes to shake the parties out of their complacency.
They need to start listening to the electorate, they need to start telling us(the electorate) the truth(rather than what they think we want to hear), they need to start living in the real world.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-05-2012, 19:56   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Eric, in the last general election I didn't vote..or perhaps to be more precise I spoiled my paper. I did this because, in all conscience, there wasn't anyone I felt reflected my core values.
I wasn't too idle to go to the polling station...I had appraised myself of the various candidates who were up for election.......and found them all wanting.
I have many political discussions with my daughter - who tried her very best to get me to vote for someone rather than spoil my paper.
I felt that my vote would count for nothing, it would make no difference.

I have no political affiliation and support no party. At each election I try to weigh the candidates against my own values. I cannot see me putting a cross against any of them any time soon. But I might write 'none of the above'.
We need some major changes to shake the parties out of their complacency.
They need to start listening to the electorate, they need to start telling us(the electorate) the truth(rather than what they think we want to hear), they need to start living in the real world.
Indeed ... and this is a group I didn't mention ... it adds weight to the argument that there is more than apathy at the root of the low voter turnout.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 20:19   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well it doesn't give the turnout but looking at the figures it seems to have been very low, lower than usual less than 1000 voting in St Andrews ward, its usually 50%+ in that ward
36.8% across the borough I think I saw
Old 04-05-2012, 20:35   #19

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Indeed ... and this is a group I didn't mention ... it adds weight to the argument that there is more than apathy at the root of the low voter turnout.
Hmmm.. I think apathy is the root cause, the majority of people realise that local and national politics are seperate entities. However, it's ingrained in the English psyche, reinforced by the media, that local elections are a yardstick of public opinion on the incumbent government, and, lets be honest, more people read the redtops than the broadsheets.

Local politics is thus tied to National politics, and so most of the time the majority of the voting public vote for the party and not the best person for the job.

Having the local MP knocking on doors in an allegedly hotly contested ward (by party, not by personality) shows this to be true.

Logic also dictates that if this were not true then more independents would be voted in, and there would not have been such a backlash countrywide against the Libdems in these 'local' elections.

Therefore, some 65% of the local population cannot be 'arsed' (apathy), because some minority elected oik will eventually claim that 95% of the people agree with him.
Old 04-05-2012, 21:13   #20
Beacon of light

I think that party politicians like to make mileage out of the results of the local elections, despite the fact that the two animals are only very lightly yoked together.
It is just another excuse to employ media hype and sling insults at one another - it benefits no-one...and certainly not the electorate.
It is generally the case, that at the midterm of a government, local elections will show that the opposition party are favoured. This is often regardless of the policies implemented by the governing party.

Many people vote blindly for a political party in both local and general elections......regardless of who can best do the job...and who can best do the job has as much relevance in local elections (probably more relevance when I think about it) as it does in general elections.

If by some chance we could take party politics out of local elections then I think (just maybe) more would get done locally...there would be none of this 'walking out' of meetings because a party didn't agree with what the ruling party were proposing.
More work would get done, more results would be achieved...there would be less mud slinging and in-fighting.
Old 04-05-2012, 21:28   #21

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Many people vote blindly for a political party in both local and general elections......regardless of who can best do the job...and who can best do the job has as much relevance in local elections (probably more relevance when I think about it) as it does in general elections.

If by some chance we could take party politics out of local elections then I think (just maybe) more would get done locally...there would be none of this 'walking out' of meetings because a party didn't agree with what the ruling party were proposing.
More work would get done, more results would be achieved...there would be less mud slinging and in-fighting.
And that is precisely my point, you and I Margaret, are part of the 65% that see this, yet we either spoil or don't vote....apathy?

Last edited by Guinness; 04-05-2012 at 21:32. Reason: added 'part of'
Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 21:51   #22
Beacon of light

in my considered opinion, it isn't apathy.

I think the political parties fail to recognise how disaffected we are with their antics.
Or am I generalising here? I certainly feel disaffected.
I feel like the political parties do not recognise that I can see for myself, think for myself and make choices(provided that I am given something to make a choice on).
Currently the political parties are so similar, that in reality, there is no choice.

Career politicians are not out to improve the lot of the electorate...they are only in the job to line their own pockets, and ensure their own financial security for the future.
Many of them have never done a proper job of work. They know (and care) little about the struggles which are faced daily by the 'common man'(and I mean that in the most respectful way).

If voting really had any impact in changing things, they would stop us from doing it.
They promise much but deliver little.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:04   #23
God Member

Quote:
in my considered opinion, it isn't apathy.

I think the political parties fail to recognise how disaffected we are with their antics.
Or am I generalising here? I certainly feel disaffected.
I feel like the political parties do not recognise that I can see for myself, think for myself and make choices(provided that I am given something to make a choice on).
Currently the political parties are so similar, that in reality, there is no choice.

Career politicians are not out to improve the lot of the electorate...they are only in the job to line their own pockets, and ensure their own financial security for the future.
Many of them have never done a proper job of work. They know (and care) little about the struggles which are faced daily by the 'common man'(and I mean that in the most respectful way).

If voting really had any impact in changing things, they would stop us from doing it.
They promise much but deliver little.
You are dead right ... It isn't apathy. And the argument that Guiness puts foreward is flawed, right from its beginning. Anyone who is aware of the issues, the difference between municipal and national politcs, and, in general, what's happening politicaly is most certainly not apathetic, as he or she has taken the time to assess the issues. In other words, we have an informed voter who chooses not to vote. Apathy is "I don't give a flying you-know-what as long as the beer is cold and the tv works".

Last edited by Eric; 05-05-2012 at 07:10.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:52   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
36.8% across the borough I think I saw
That's poor really, but when only just over 60% voted in the GE its only to be expected, the only thing is if you don't register a vote you can't really complain, the best way to protest is to go and spoil your ballot paper
Old 05-05-2012, 19:12   #25
Full Member+

Towns like Accrington are dying, not entirely due to the economy, but more to the lack of leadership from the succession of self-interested parties that past elections have spawned. 'None of the above' has been my electoral mantra at both local and national level for some years past and, until given an affirmative response to the electorate's need for a referendum on our continued membership of the EU., I see no reason to alter my stance - however negative that may seem to some. The current Tory party is none but a shadow compared with it's historical counterparts; The Lib-Dems hardly rate a mention, and Labour is a leopard that changes it's spots to suit whatever opportunity falls into it's lap - and now we hear that the mass murderer Blair is chancing his arm again. Lord help us all!!!
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:29   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
Towns like Accrington are dying, not entirely due to the economy, but more to the lack of leadership from the succession of self-interested parties that past elections have spawned. 'None of the above' has been my electoral mantra at both local and national level for some years past and, until given an affirmative response to the electorate's need for a referendum on our continued membership of the EU., I see no reason to alter my stance - however negative that may seem to some. The current Tory party is none but a shadow compared with it's historical counterparts; The Lib-Dems hardly rate a mention, and Labour is a leopard that changes it's spots to suit whatever opportunity falls into it's lap - and now we hear that the mass murderer Blair is chancing his arm again. Lord help us all!!!
There must be some money in it for Blair to rear his head again, he only goes to the highest bidder
Old 06-05-2012, 17:31   #27
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
There must be some money in it for Blair to rear his head again, he only goes to the highest bidder
There's only one place for Blairs head, Jaysay, apart from his own backside - unfortunately the block at the Tower of London was reduced to a museum piece a long time ago
Old 06-05-2012, 17:34   #28
Beacon of light

Tony Blair couldn't even lie straight in bed. The contemptible man!
Old 06-05-2012, 17:44   #29
Full Member+

Quote:
Tony Blair couldn't even lie straight in bed. The contemptible man!
I doubt that anyone could lie straight in any bed that was occupied by his equally contemptible wife. The sight of the leeching bitch sends shivers down my spine.
Old 06-05-2012, 17:47   #30
Beacon of light

Yes, I'm sure she would look at you like a crocodile anticipating a tasty lunch...a caricature of a woman - they are well matched and would each spoil another couple.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..