Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-11-2004, 12:32   #1

Yorkshire Penny Bank

Could anyone please tell me if the Y.P.Bank is still in existence on Blackburn Rd. I still have my passbook 1948, with still a penny left in there. Is there anyone who could work out what the total should be if I claimed interest? . Providing that the Bank would honour the passbook of course, it might be quite a lot. However knowing banks these days money diminishes rather than increases when you just let it sit.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-11-2004, 13:20   #2
Resting in peace

Re: Yorkshire Penny Bank

I don't think the one on Blackburn Road is still going, but the bank is - 'cos my friend Judith (she has the bad taste to be born and live in Yorkshire, but she's okay really) banks with them.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 13:21   #3
Beacon of light

The Yorkshire Bank is still there, but it has dropped the 'Penny' from its name........I am not numerically gifted enough to tell you what it is worth, but I am a customer there and have been for 40+ years......you could always give them a call.....or get in touch online...... their website is www.ybonline.co.uk - maybe you could find out.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 13:26   #4
Resident Waffler

The Yorkshire Bank still exists but it dropped the "penny" long ago.

Unfortunately your single penny won't have earned any interest as they didn't calculate on sums less than £1.

The account will have been amalgamated with numerous other "sundry" accounts as it hasn't been used in so long but theoretically you should be able to claim what is rightfully yours. A lot depends on whether or not there was any interest due the year you reduced your balance to 1d as unfortunately there is no modern equivalent of such a sum, 1p being about 2 1/2d

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..