Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2004, 08:10   #1
Senior Member+

garden centre in haslingden

Has anyone ever been to that big new garden centre over in haslingden - lancashire homes & gardens ??

was thinking of taking a look at it this weekend as its quite big and hopefully have decent plants and stuff in it but was curious to know if anyone has been and what it was like..

thanks
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-01-2004, 09:36   #2
mez
God Member

hi glasgow, ive been to that garden center, it reminds me of ossy mills a lot, plants not too badly priced, try gordon riggs at todmorden, or the garden center on the haslingden old rd ossy, or even the one in ossy mills, depends wot your looking for, but that should give you a weekends running round, good hunting
Old 22-01-2004, 11:05   #3

if you want a proper garden centre then gordon riggs is lots better but if you want a shop to browse round then it's worth a trip.
jrenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2004, 14:24   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrenshaw
if you want a proper garden centre then gordon riggs is lots better but if you want a shop to browse round then it's worth a trip.
nah , have been to gordon riggs before - buy it cheap and stack it high - thats Mr Riggs policy - whatever you do when you go there - DONT buy the fruit - a lot of it is out of date and the staff clean them so they look fresh for the customers - I know ex staff & managers who used to work there & have told me of the working practices that are in place there.
I have been to ossy mills before and I cant imagine that place in haslingden being like it - it looks way to big and new.
But I will find out on saturday.
I do like Hansons towards Clitheroe though - there is a guy there called peter -he knows everything about pesticides & weedkillers - the guys is a walking encyclopedia regarding those kinda things - very helpful !
I also like the small place at the back of atlas street - (road end garden centre ??) very handy at times.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:02   #5
mez
God Member

wot did you think of the haslingden garden center then? you never did tell us
Old 07-02-2004, 09:39   #6
Senior Member+

Very swish I thought, I have left them my CV as one of the mangers told me they are looking for certain staff, been told I will hear shortly -
they have some very expensive garden furniture but then again the quality of the stuff justifies it - alot of their stuff is burmese teak which is the most dense wood you could use for outdoor furniture & the companies they have got them from are the UK leaders so they are certainley aiming at a certain bracket of shoppers - mainly rich ones!!!!!! - rules me out !
They were in the middle of clearing christmas away but they had 20% off plants so I bought a few things - seems to be all the staff know what they are talking about so that helps - its also very clean for a garden centre - its more like a department store though - which isnt bad in some ways -
I went up to the cafe and was ripped off though £4.90 for tea & a cake !!
apart from that its quite a good place - I wouldnt mind working there as they pay good money from what I was told and it seemed quite relaxed - but on the flip side I still and always will prefer the small garden centres where you get the bargains !
will let you know about the job thing.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:20   #7
mez
God Member

oops i forgot to tell you not to eat or drink there we got ripped off too wen i went cost me £5 odd wen i went, not dissapointed with any of the plants ive bought there though, neither have i been dissapointed with the ones ive bought at ossy mills , good luck with the job.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:58   #8
God Member

[-Quote:
- alot of their stuff is burmese teak which is the most dense wood you could use for outdoor furniture & the companies they have got them from are the UK leaders

Unquote...

Are you sure it's Burmese teak? I though this stuff was banned from the Common market because the Burmese are destroying their rainforests....if the stuff is Burmese, the shops breaking the law & and it's not Burmese they're breaking the law by saying it is...
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 21:57   #9
Senior Member+

now I do know a bit about this - you can only get the teak(burmese)from forests that are foundation planted and legal - no other way, you are right in what you say but I doubt very much that the companys (Neptune, Alexander Rose, Barlow Tyrie ) who supply stores nationwide would be breaking the law in that respect - you wouldnt be the uks main suppliers of Burmese teak if it wasnt the genuine artical and also if you were doing it from illegal forests - you would be quickly found out due to the amount you would be shipping to the UK I am sure of it
Old 10-02-2004, 18:56   #10
Senior Member+

(follow on from the above post)
it is not illegal to import burmese teak if you have permission from the Burmese government, and if you agree to pay them a certain percentage in return - but you are limited in what you can import at any one time.
Alot of companys are now making furninture from Indonesian teak - which is not controlled in its felling and is slowly running out - that will soon be illegal within 5 years or so when it becomes a reality that there is very little left.
Hope this clears things up.
Old 11-02-2004, 15:22   #11
God Member

Ok........

...Makes sense...but how do you check on the scource of a plank of wood? Policing what is legit. timber & what is'nt must be pretty difficult.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 17:42   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
...Makes sense...but how do you check on the scource of a plank of wood? Policing what is legit. timber & what is'nt must be pretty difficult.
yes & no, because certain timbers are felled from controlled forests so they know what is cut down and what it would weigh to a certain extent, they would also know what you are exporting too.
and they would then know what to charge you - a bit like strawberry picking - its all controlled in the one area, and you are charged per weight.
Old 14-02-2004, 08:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy
Has anyone ever been to that big new garden centre over in haslingden - lancashire homes & gardens ??

was thinking of taking a look at it this weekend as its quite big and hopefully have decent plants and stuff in it but was curious to know if anyone has been and what it was like..

thanks
The new house and garden centre in Haslingden is not worth the trip for the plants. Try Gordon Riggs (I haven't yet found a website link) in Todmorden, they have been established for years and have a massive range of plants.
sheena dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 17:40   #14
I am Band

Question Re: garden centre in haslingden

Lancashire Homes & Gardens has now closed. I heard a rumour that Tesco's have aquired the site with the intention of turning it into a store. Can anyone confirm this?

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 18:44   #15
God Member

Re: garden centre in haslingden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist
Lancashire Homes & Gardens has now closed. I heard a rumour that Tesco's have aquired the site with the intention of turning it into a store. Can anyone confirm this?
yes, this is right, they are on with the conversion now

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..