Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2004, 20:45   #16

Re: garden centre in haslingden

if you prefer small garden centres why not try my old workplace park view in rishton did my apprenticeship there before i gave up after two years due to hayfever from waht i remember pay wasnt bad and it was a cushy job
rockrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2004, 21:20   #17
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist
Lancashire Homes & Gardens has now closed. I heard a rumour that Tesco's have aquired the site with the intention of turning it into a store. Can anyone confirm this?
Closed already? I was only saying recently that we should have a look there!

Would you lot believe that although I've heard plenty of talk about it I have never actually been to Gordon Riggs. Yes, I know it's in Todmorden but where exactly? Is it easy to find? I heard they have interesting things at Christmas.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 21:56   #18
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Yes, I know it's in Todmorden but where exactly? Is it easy to find? I heard they have interesting things at Christmas.
No, No No!!! My wallet is sealed Willow, and besides, neither of us have a garden!!
Old 25-11-2004, 21:57   #19
Resident Waffler

I'm not talking "garden" I'm talking "Christmas"

Old 25-11-2004, 22:16   #20
mez
God Member

its brilliant there willow, ive been a few times, especially for xmas. no its not hard to find just follow the rd to todmrden then ask . oooo i cant remember , YES BUSMAN YOUR WALLET WILL BE VERY SICK , after youve been there he he he
Old 25-11-2004, 22:18   #21
Resident Waffler

Oh don't tell him that. We'll never get there now. He already has a morbid fear of me going anywhere near PC World! Now he'll start trembling every time he hears the name "Todmorden"

Old 25-11-2004, 22:19   #22
Always EVIL within us

.....and to think that I played with your Sam only the other day Mez
Old 25-11-2004, 22:23   #23
mez
God Member

ooer but it is a brill place mabe she could buy you a SPADE FOR XMAS you can then prepare yourself for the summer, just looking at it ready to dig the garden?
Old 25-11-2004, 22:25   #24
mez
God Member

but i must say in its defence that gordon riggs IS CHEAPER than the X haslingden garden center
Old 25-11-2004, 22:27   #25
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
ooer but it is a brill place mabe she could buy you a SPADE FOR XMAS you can then prepare yourself for the summer, just looking at it ready to dig the garden?
A pickaxe would be more suitable to get through the concrete....but if Willow bought it , it would be with my money as she is so good at "forgetting" her purse
Old 25-11-2004, 22:27   #26
Senior Member+

yeah it is now closed - it closed on august the 26th - they gave us all 3 minutes to gather our stuff and sacked us all (240 workers) on the spot, tesco bought it the next day for £6m.
the reason that we were all sacked was that it was not in the deal for tesco to buy the site - the deal was we buy the site on its own - no staff included so by 2pm on the 26th of august we were all out of a job - as I said we were given 3 minutes notice - all very underhand (but legal) and nobody got any redundancy money cos you have to be with a company for 2 years before you qualify - that place had only been open for 16 months - they knew what they were doing and it was all worked out very well if you look at it from a business sense - but from normal working persons sense it was utter crap - alot of tears that afternoon - not very nice at all, there were a few people from the one household that worked there thus wiping out entire income, wasnt nice seeing good friends that upset, wouldnt wish it on anyone.
It opens as a tesco next year - I know that quite a few of the garden centre staff have got jobs in that tesco when it opens next year - tesco gave all the staff members interviews before they officially advertise next year for workers - which was a nice gesture.
I am still owed over £1600 in wages from them as probably are majority of the staff from that place - it officialy wound up as a company on November 1st 2004 and its only now we can claim back monies owed - when we get it is another story though but we shall get it - money in the bank so to speak.
You live and learn !!
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 22:33   #27
mez
God Member

ooooooooo you poor s*d thats cruel, mind you ive seen it done with my own eyes at a company i used to work for its disgusting but legal. glad your back with us too
Old 25-11-2004, 22:34   #28
Senior Member+

Now your talking Gordon Riggs is best ever, Interesting, varied, very good prices

Willow you will need Hours and Hours to scrape the surface..... And allow time on the way to visit "Tony's Chippy" 1/4 mile before you arrive at Riggs.. Real home made pies and really good fish+chips, and tony is a real character, You can even eat them on there converted bus round back..

Head to bacup, Take todmorden rd out to "Tod" Keep going until you go under a railway bridge/viaduct and come to T-junction immediatly(?) Turn RIGHT Riggs is 1mile on left you cannot miss it (huge chimney,lit up at night)

Tony's is just before on left at Pelican crossing..

Sorry Busman but it is good, I hate shopping but love Riggs

Last edited by simon; 25-11-2004 at 22:37.
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2004, 22:36   #29
Always EVIL within us

What about you Glasgowman? Did you manage to stay in similar employment or did you go for an interview with Tesco's?

That was a nasty way of treating employees but more and more firms are now taking the easiest route to make a profit whilst "selling up!" Assuming you all had a contract, surely they must give so many weeks notice..or pay you in lieu of notice?
Old 25-11-2004, 22:37   #30
Resident Waffler

What an appalling way to treat people. Presumably it wasn't a going concern and unable to survive financially?

I had only noticed it in passing on the road to Manchester and said we must work out where the entrance is!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..