Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Hanna Street School (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/hanna-street-school-42018.html)

polly 30-10-2008 17:17

Re: Hanna Street School

I remember the newsagents ( the one on the left going towards town) It always seemed a bit empty.

Vaguely recall an ironmongers nearby

Benipete 03-11-2008 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by polly (Post 645821)
I remember the newsagents ( the one on the left going towards town) It always seemed a bit empty.

Vaguely recall an ironmongers nearby

I think the Ironmongers was on the corner of Fountain St.

polly 03-11-2008 20:00

Was it not opposit where the barbers was / is?

Bryrog 06-11-2008 11:17

The Iron Mongers was opposite Hope st

Morecambe Ex Pat 06-11-2008 11:54

Ahh the shops of my youth :)
Newsagents was opposite Hope Street.
Small toffe shop on Ormerod Street just down from Hope Street.
Barbers shop Richmond Hill/Holden Street.
Betty Whatmough's grocers Higher Antley/Ormerod Street.
Cake shop (Grahams?) Higer Antley/Hopwood Street.
Chemist Higher Antley/Ormerod Street.
There was an ironmongers on the corner of Ormerod Street and Brown Street. Always had a smell of parrafin about the place.

Bryrog 06-11-2008 15:09

Sorry Morecambe EX Pat but the my grannies ironmongers shop was next down from the newsagents shop and yes it did smelt of paraffin cos I used to have to fill the shop tank before my gran would give me my tea

mrskitty 06-11-2008 15:42

My family are the Duggans and Grigg's on some of the roads you talk about :)

Morecambe Ex Pat 06-11-2008 18:30

Sorry Byrog, I stand corrected (well sat actually but you know what I mean). I asked my Mother who is a font of all knowledge and she confirms what you say. The shop on the corner of Brown/Ormerod was a Barbers and later a wallpaper shop.
She also tells me that Len's cooked meats, later in the Market Hall, started in one of the shops on that block. There was a dress shop of some kind in Ormerod Street, just down from Higher Antley.
I was also reminded of a toffee shop on the corner of Higher Antley and Major Street which had a fabulous penny tray :)

More memories - I wonder if there are any photos of the police box which stood on Ormerod Street/Higher Antley, outside the grocers shop? I remember it coming second one night in a fight with a car.

hedman2003 06-11-2008 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 648007)
Sorry Byrog, I stand corrected (well sat actually but you know what I mean). I asked my Mother who is a font of all knowledge and she confirms what you say. The shop on the corner of Brown/Ormerod was a Barbers and later a wallpaper shop.
She also tells me that Len's cooked meats, later in the Market Hall, started in one of the shops on that block. There was a dress shop of some kind in Ormerod Street, just down from Higher Antley.
I was also reminded of a toffee shop on the corner of Higher Antley and Major Street which had a fabulous penny tray :)

More memories - I wonder if there are any photos of the police box which stood on Ormerod Street/Higher Antley, outside the grocers shop? I remember it coming second one night in a fight with a car.

When was the police box on Ormerod Street removed I have a vague recollection of it being there probably in the mid 60's however I could be mistaken

I went to the Barbers I think on Higher Antley Street as a child but it wasn't on the corner it 4 or 5 properties away from Ormerod Street with a large red leather chair.

In the mid late 70's I sold the newspapers for the first week of Accy holidays as at that time only newsagents were permitted to sell newspapers. it was my first paid employment

how times have changed

Morecambe Ex Pat 07-11-2008 07:47

It was mid 60s, we left in 1967 and it was long gone then.
I can't watch Dr. Who without being reminded of the sinister blue flashing ligh on the corner. My Dad used to tell all kinds of scary tales about what it was used for.
The police put naughty children in there etc. etc.
Times have changed indeed :)

hedman2003 07-11-2008 17:12

the problem I've got is I'm not sure if it's a Dr Who type dream or if I actually saw the box on Ormerod Street. Was it at the juction of Perth Street and ormerod Street (outside were the Chippy is now or was it further down

Morecambe Ex Pat 07-11-2008 19:00

No, The junction of Higher Antley Street and Ormerod St, on the left as you go up. The house on the corner used to be a shop but is now a private house. I went up there last year to show my wife where I was born and the place looks similar but not the same somehow. The garage my Dad built is still there on the back of one of the houses.

stevie96 11-11-2008 08:31

Re: Hannah Street School

i went to hannah st street school 66 onwards teachers Miss Moss Mrs Barns i think she took 1st year and 2nd year infants. i used to live next to the cafe on holden st it was run by george and flo nicoles,if anyone needs info ive got some great memories of the are,feel free to

stevie96 11-11-2008 08:34

the shop on the corner of ormerod st and brown st was run by micheal cavanagh and is wife

magpie 11-11-2008 17:40

Re: Hannah Street School

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevie96 (Post 649450)
i went to hannah st street school 66 onwards teachers Miss Moss Mrs Barns i think she took 1st year and 2nd year infants. i used to live next to the cafe on holden st it was run by george and flo nicoles,if anyone needs info ive got some great memories of the are,feel free to

ah I remember Mrs Barns... you would have been there when I was: My mum also used to work at the cafe... do you have any pics of the area or school... Magpie