Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 23:59   #16

Re: Crawshaw Street Accrington

Did Crawshaw Street run parallel to Union St?
If so, I remember them pulling the houses down.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-12-2008, 10:18   #17
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaner3 View Post
Did Crawshaw Street run parallel to Union St?
If so, I remember them pulling the houses down.
Yes, you are right they were parallel streets, can you remember the year
Crawshaw Street was pulled down and was it done in one hit from end to end.
cooinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:22   #18
Junior Member+

Quote:
I remember School Street, a girl called Margaret lived on there with her brothers, next to the alley way. We also got saw dust from the Joiners down there for our rabbit.
I think Margaret was crowned Miss Accrington one year in the Parade they used to have.
Can't remember her last name
I have a recollection of the girl you are talking about, was the families name Hindle? it came to mind as I read your comments.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:42   #19
Junior Member+

Hi Keith.
We might have crossed each others path, because I delivered morning papers for Harry Parr from around 1951 to 1953, and also did the evening papers, I delivered the morning papers,Starting with the Bull then all round Westwood/Devonshire/Dowry/Maudsley Milnshaw before going to School, at the time I seem to remember you had to be 13 to be a paper boy/girl, I seem to remember if I delivered the papers during the week I was not allowed to do Sundays.

I was also in the Boys Brigade,we met in a Hall in Union Street every Sunday morning the same hall was used for Sunday School in the afternoon.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:55   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I remember School Street, a girl called Margaret lived on there with her brothers, next to the alley way. We also got saw dust from the Joiners down there for our rabbit.
I think Margaret was crowned Miss Accrington one year in the Parade they used to have.
Can't remember her last name
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooinda View Post
I have a recollection of the girl you are talking about, was the families name Hindle? it came to mind as I read your comments.
knew the family yer both on about margaret won Miss Accrington one year, i mated with her eldest brother, name was "Askew" though cooinda not hindle.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:01   #21
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Ive just checked - Stephen's Court was definitely off (i.e.in) School Street Crawshaw was probably named after a wealthy Accy chap who buiilt the building on Blackburn rd just next to the Crown. It became, or part of it perhaps, Joe Mort's dance hall.
Hi Bob.
Stephen's Court must have been the one I said was below the Nags and through an alley to come out behind Blackburn road.
I used to go to Joe Morts,it was upstairs in the first building on the right after the Railway Bridge on Blackburn Road,was that the Crown I simply cannot remember,at 71 the mind is not as sharp as it was particularly as I only returned to Accrington (where I was born) 1n 2003 after being away for 5o odd years and hardly recognised the town.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:04   #22
Junior Member+

Thanks Cashman, at least we have one result.
Old 08-12-2008, 18:26   #23

Hi Cooinda, Thanks to you and everyone else for your responses. For what it's worth my old family bible records, "Alice Franklin born Jan 2nd 1884 at 8 Stephen's Court off School Street." By June 1888 the family had moved to Portland Street (the house there still stands). So thanks again, folks, you've given me a better idea than I had before.
davidf
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 19:19   #24
Resting In Peace

some mates of mine from my younger days lived in crawshaw st jimmy smith, David Gideon and his brothers,
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 20:57   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
some mates of mine from my younger days lived in crawshaw st jimmy smith, David Gideon and his brothers,
was the Gudgeons tosh.
Old 09-12-2008, 21:36   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
I remember young David Gudgeon, spent more time at my Aunts in Crawshaw St than he did at home.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 03:38   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
knew the family yer both on about margaret won Miss Accrington one year, i mated with her eldest brother, name was "Askew" though cooinda not hindle.
Thats right Cashman, I remember the Askew's now. What was the brothers name? There were two.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2008, 10:39   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Thats right Cashman, I remember the Askew's now. What was the brothers name? There were two.
was Gordan, eldest n Raymond.
Old 18-02-2009, 03:49   #29
Full Member+

We lived there for a little while before we moved to Rimmington Ave. We had Just moved down from Scotland must have been around mid 60s
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 21:24   #30
Junior Member+

Any of you remember me Patrick Murphy ay 21 Crawshaw St.
patmur64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..