Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 21:02   #1

Genes reunited!!!!!

Sorry if this in the wrong section.
I've been researching my family tree and have gone back to 1845. I've put my tree on Gene's reunited and they have emailed me to say that another member has two of my relatives in her tree. The other member is called June.
Gene's Reunited want me to pay £9.95 to send this lady an email, so I thought I'd ask on here first before I part with my money. I'm looking for a June, possibly from Ossy with a Riley Oldham and an Alexander Oldham in her family tree. Any help is much appreciated, I know it's a long shot but thought I'd give it a try.
Thanks Sue
suedarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-03-2009, 21:04   #2
God Member

Re: Genes reunited!!!!!

thats £9.95 for twelve months, my dad pays that to go on there, he has found loads of people on there who he never even knew existed, it is well worth the money, like i said, its for 12 months worth of emails
Old 01-03-2009, 21:11   #3

Thanks Flashy, I must have read it wrong. I'll go back and have another look now
Old 01-03-2009, 22:30   #4
Senior Member+

I'm a June and have gone back to around 1770 but don't recall any Oldhams. Wish I could help x

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 19:41   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedarbo View Post
Sorry if this in the wrong section.
I've been researching my family tree and have gone back to 1845. I've put my tree on Gene's reunited and they have emailed me to say that another member has two of my relatives in her tree. The other member is called June.
Gene's Reunited want me to pay £9.95 to send this lady an email, so I thought I'd ask on here first before I part with my money. I'm looking for a June, possibly from Ossy with a Riley Oldham and an Alexander Oldham in her family tree. Any help is much appreciated, I know it's a long shot but thought I'd give it a try.
Thanks Sue
Did she also have relatives by the name of George and Gladys Oldham and also Annie who later became Annie Bailey, and John? They came from Ossie and Annie had a brother called Riley!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:04   #6

Oops sorry, I've only just seen this. My grandad had a sister called Jane Ann. I'll have a search in my family tree. My Grandad was called Riley Oldham and so was my Great Grandad. The name Riley came from about 5 generations ago I think. We also had a Livesey Oldham way back too. There were lots of Oldhams in Ossy, I'm struggling to link them together. lol My grandad had 4 brothers, Alexander, Richard, George and Fred. I know he had two sisters and one was Jane Ann but I can't remember the other one.
Old 05-03-2009, 15:59   #7

I've got relatives called George and Gladys. I asked my mum today. They are distant but still related to my dad. Are they livng in Rhyl?
Old 05-03-2009, 16:53   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedarbo View Post
I've got relatives called George and Gladys. I asked my mum today. They are distant but still related to my dad. Are they livng in Rhyl?
Yes indeed they are, George actually passed away some years back, but Gladys is still alive. George and Gladys used to run some flats on River Street Rhyl, we used to holiday there when i was young, and we booked one of their flats by pure chance one year. My Mum and Dad knew them well. George used to be a Coal Miner, and when they lived up here, Gladys had a shop on Union Road. One of my neighbours either knows them very well or is related to them, she also had a brother called Riley and another called John who used to play for Accy Stanley. I'll either pop in for a brew with her tomorrow (Friday) or Monday to check on her maiden name, but it may be thats she could be George's Sister! She's 88 now, but has a good memory! If you have a full list of names you are looking for i will ask her if she knows them.

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 05-03-2009, 20:20   #9

Thanks Taggy,
My dad was called John Oldham, his dad was called Riley. Any Riley Oldham's will be related to me somehow lol, it's a family name. My dad had a cousin called John and his dad was called George Oldham. I think Annie could be my dad's cousin. Any info on the Oldham's from Ossy will be great. My Great grandad was called Riley Oldham and was known as Limping Riley in Oswaldtwistle lol
Thanks for your help.
Sue
Old 05-03-2009, 20:23   #10

My dad's cousin was the John Oldham that played for Accy Stanley. His dad was called George.
Old 06-03-2009, 17:16   #11
Senior Member+

Hi Sue, i've just been having a brew and a natter with Annie and its looking like you'll be related!! John Oldham that played for Accy Stanley was indeed her Brother, as was your Grandad Riley!! It could perhaps be your Cousin John Oldhams daughter who is called June, obviously there may be others, but this John Oldham had a daughter called June, she's now called June Malone and is Annies niece! That John OLdham used to live on New Lane, and remarried and ended up living on Commercial Street, Ossy. Annie said her Dads Brothers were called Alexander, Richard, George and Fred, and she also remembers the two Sisters Jane Ann and Nellie! George Oldham who moved to Rhyl with Gladys was also Annies Brother. Hopefully this is making sense to you! Thats basically what i've found out so far, so fire away with any other info you've got or need. Whats your full name btw then i can let Annie know who you are.

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 06-03-2009, 18:34   #12

Wow, this is great. I've been in contact with June. Her grandad George and my Grandad Riley were brothers. June's dad and my dad were cousins. My full name was Susan Elizabeh Oldham before I got married. I have a brother called John David Oldham. My dad was John Oldham and I think he was Annie's cousin. My dad married Marjorie Pomfret. My grandad was Riley Oldham married to Mary they had two sons, Joshua, who was killed in the 2nd World War and my dad. My dad died 3 years ago, he was 78. I remember my dad talking about his aunt Jane Anne, he seemed very close to her. I would love to meet Annie to get memories of my family. I got a lot from my dad but now wished I'd asked him more. I remember my gandad Riley, he was deaf and if he didn't want to listen to me he used to turn his hearing aid off lol. Who was Annie's dad? My grandad's brothers were Alexander, Richard, George, Fred and I think there was a Thomas. His sisters were Eliza Ellen and Jane Anne. I haven't found any more.
Thanks for helping, this is great.
Sue
Old 07-03-2009, 11:01   #13
Senior Member+

Hi Sue, i forgot to ask Annie what her Dad was called, but i'll be calling in to see her again towards the middle of next week, so will ask her then, i'll ask her if its ok to pass on her phone number to you, if you would like that, then perhaps you could call her and have a chat, shes a nice lady with a good memory, so i'm sure she will be able to give you a lot of information.

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 07-03-2009, 16:54   #14
Resting in Peace

Hi Sue .... really gets you, doesn't it. I love having a nose at other people's family backgrounds. Problem is can only go so far before it starts to cost you.

Well, was going to copy/paste .. but the site won't let you ... they are clever.

Was entries in the Genealogy and Family History Records - Ancestry.co.uk site, showing what would have been your Great Grandad, Riley, aged 16, and his father, your Great, Great Grandad, Alexander married to an Ellen, living at 11, Union Road. This is the 1880 census which is free to view. Course may have got the 'Greats' incorrect.. Alexander was a coalminer,

There is also a Livesey Oldham listed, age 48 married to a Mary. Living in Cross Street.

I have (sort of) Oldhams in my family, but starts at 1950 .. bit of a skeleton in the cupboard to be honest, and probably no relation. Let's say someone took advantage of a cousin of mine ... LOL.

Sounds like you are making excellent progress and very exciting for you that Taggy has helped out in this way.

Sorry for being nosey.

katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 16:05   #15

Thanks Katex, Livesey Oldham is also related. I didn't know the 1880 census was free to view, I'm off to have a look. I've got a copy of the one that shows my grandad Riley at 16, I've got mixed up with the greats and great, great's too

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..