Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2006, 15:28   #16

Marilyn J Wright

I'm fairly certain that this is a picture of our Great great Grandparents. Their Grand daughter was our mother Evelyn Haythornwhite she also lived in Ormerod Street with my Grandfather another William Albert She had two brothers James Albert, yet another William Albert and a sister called Eliizabeth. My mother was the youngest of the four. Evelyn continued to live in Ormerod street after her marriage to our father George South.
Marilyn J Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-09-2007, 21:22   #17

Re: Please Identify

Hi NSHA
I found this in I think the 1881 census William and Elizabeth (Betty) Haythornwhite and 8 children living at 202 Richmond Hill street Accy.
All born in Accrington
Ive attached the census form ,I hope you can read it ....William was an Iron Planer.

Whilst we're on the iron "bit" does any one know the names of the the irons works that used to be in Accy?
accypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2007, 21:56   #18
Junior Member+

Hi Accypete,

Many thanks accypete for your reply and inflormation. This is a great forum and through my post I was contacted by Marilyn J Wright who is a descendent of William and Elizabeth. It was wonderful to find relations who if it was not for this forum, I would never have know.

I live in Australia and last year when I was in Accrington I was most fortunate in meeting up with Marilyn and her sister Irene.
nsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 12:35   #19

I am always impressed by the great spirit of help all the members give to a request for information......It,s a pleasure to belong here.....Well done everyone....

Tal
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 06:47   #20
Senior Member+

Only just found this photo, and although I am only guessing, feel sure this is NOT Accrington. I have sifted through many many photos of old Accrington, but the style of the steps makes me think the photo was not taken in this town.

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2007, 20:43   #21
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

I know this is off thread but Atarah your link comes up with a message page cannot be found.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2007, 04:13   #22
Junior Member+

Hi Atarah,
Thank you for your reply re my 'photo, I have since found out that my great grandparents did live in other areas of Lancashire before they settled in Accrington. Probably due to the work with the proliferation of the cotton mills. I suggest the photo was taken in or near Manchester, it does seen to be a grandeous background for any smaller town. They did live in rural Lancashire at one time, in the Ribble valley I think, I have met a cousin of mine only recently and this information was supplied to me. However again many thanks for your interest and reply.
nsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 23:44   #23

Hi NSHA
just a thought if all the children were born in Accrington, the baby in this photo dosent look much older than a year if that is their child I believe its a good chance that is was taken in Accrington.
accypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 08:47   #24
Resting in Peace

This is a very old thread pete, can't remember seeing NSHA on here since
Old 24-05-2012, 15:10   #25
Senior Member+

I feel sure that with diligent searching of censuses, this couple can be found. There is a CD on sale which tells where, in 1881, the majority of people of a particular surname lived. This is a surname associated with North Lancashire & Cumbria, although there are some over here in the Fylde. There are none of this name listed in the 1951 Accrington directory. I agree that she does have the appearaance of being in service. He looks as if he is in his working clothes, so the photo was likely taken close by where they lived at the time.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 15:22   #26
Senior Member+

Mistake on my part. There is a Henry George Haythornthwaite, a wholesale fruiterer living at 'Highbury', a splendid house on Queens Rd between Clifton Ave & Marlborough Rd in 1951. He had premises on the market and in Willows Lane. I suspect the photo is not of this house.
Ive sent a PM to NSHA to get him to look at the forum.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 16:09   #27
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Mistake on my part. There is a Henry George Haythornthwaite, a wholesale fruiterer living at 'Highbury', a splendid house on Queens Rd between Clifton Ave & Marlborough Rd in 1951. He had premises on the market and in Willows Lane. I suspect the photo is not of this house.
I remember being at school with a Susan Haythornthwaite probably the High School in the late 50s/early 60s. She was born 1944 according to Lancs BMD.

Last edited by susie123; 24-05-2012 at 16:15.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 16:49   #28
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Bob I have several comments on this. First I'm assuming you mean on the north side of Queens Road as most of the houses on the south side are pretty ordinary. I used to live when young in one on the south side between Marlborough Road and Nutter Road and I wouldn't say any of the houses opposite were what you might call "splendid". The bigger ones were between Marlborough Road and Whalley Road and I don't think any of the Queen's Road houses are as old as the one in the photo. Also most of the ones on the north side are of red brick. so I'm struggling to picture where this house called Highbury was/is. Checked on Google Streetview, still can't picture it.
Old 24-05-2012, 17:14   #29
Beacon of light

The name is question isn't Haythorthwaite, but Haythornwhite.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 17:32   #30
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The name is question isn't Haythorthwaite, but Haythornwhite.
I know Margaret, but in post 13 the originator of this thread says:

It would still be interesting to find out where it was taken. There is some information on the web to the name Haythornwhite and the name did originate in Lancashire and has various endings.

Clutching at straws maybe, but names have been known to change over time.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..